Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Cooper Oil Filter

Hey guys, just after your opinions on the brand of filters, "Cooper", my next door neighbour saw me under the bonnet of our cars and he gave me a new "Cooper Oil Filter", it feels quite heavy, its a Z79A type filter.

Also, if you could list what brands you use and recommend that would be cool

I used a RYCO oil, fuel and air filter on Mum's car, but we've had a few cars come into work with leaking oil filters by that brand, which is a bit of a scare.

Thanks much.

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Hey big Damo,

Personally i'm not much on RYCO branded filters after having one blow apart at the press seam. And after having 1 filter vavle failing and destroying the engine in our 80series cruiser. (I did send the filter back to RYCO itself and they're testing did prove that theory.)
Old 24-07-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
msman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cooper is a cheap brand, keep it for when you want to flush your engine or emergency.
i use motorcraft items (gen ford) cheaper then ryco mates at ford dealer
msman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Cooper's an Australian brand marketed by Wesfil and they are generally viewed as a 'cheaper' version of Ryco. They do have the same backup that Rycos have in terms of warranty though, and yes they are made overseas.
Old 25-07-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
Personally i'm not much on RYCO branded filters after having one blow apart at the press seam. And after having 1 filter vavle failing and destroying the engine in our 80series cruiser. (I did send the filter back to RYCO itself and they're testing did prove that theory.)
I heard about that at work, there was a few of those dodgy ryco filters causing havoc in toyotas. that said, I'm not fussy when it comes to oil filters.. I think i'm running repco branded ones at the moment.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
I heard about that at work, there was a few of those dodgy ryco filters causing havoc in toyotas. that said, I'm not fussy when it comes to oil filters.. I think i'm running repco branded ones at the moment.
Old 25-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We had a few cars come into our workshop, two in the same day with ryco oil filters leaking lots of oil.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
vik351
Banned

I like the K&N oil filter for the 1" tingo on the back for ease of undo do up...

vik...
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Barry_v
rocknrolla

shouldnt really do up oil filters with a tool. In fact if i saw an apprentice doing so I'd tell him off. unless you're a complete limp wrist hand tight is more than sufficiant. It just makes them difficult to remove. My uncle related a story to me about an oil filter so stubborn on a customer's 120Y that he snapped the threaded fitting off from the block.
Old 25-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

This is the ultimate oil filter comparison study; perhaps we should club together and send him a collection of filters currently on the Oz market:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...reference.html and
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Other interesting sites include:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html
http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart5.htm
http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/oil_filter_test.html
Old 25-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Australian Ford/Motorcraft filters used to be made by Ryco before the moved off shore.
In fact historically Ryco/GUD (who also make Cooper Filters) started out with a strong association with Ford:

See http://www.rycofilters.com.au/company

Quote:
GUD Manufacturing Company commenced spin-on oil filter production in the late 1950’s. Two of the first part numbers were Z9 and Z10, both for the Ford Motor Company. The Z10 oil filter was used as original equipment on the Ford Falcon, Z9 becoming the service replacement oil filter for the same model.
And from Rycco GUD Annual reports:

Quote:
GUD Automotive has been recognised by Ford Motor Company as a preferred supplier and was presented the Ford Q1 Award in December, 1993 and re-certified in 1998 and 2002.
and....
GUD Automotive is an equipment contract supplier to major car companies such as Ford, GM, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Daihatsu and Mercedes. We are Australia's No. 1 supplier of filters to the automotive parts and accessory aftermarket.
But since GUD closed Aust and NZ manufacture and moved to outsourcing from Asia and South Africa I have been less keen about their products.

http://www.gud.com.au/downloads/pdf/ar05.pdf

Quote:
GUD
announced in September 2004 that it would be ceasing
the manufacture of automotive filters in Australia in early
calendar 2005. GUD Automotive, the Group’s business
unit that supplies the market leading Ryco brand of oil,
air and fuel filters to automotive aftermarkets in Australia,
determined that to be able to compete in the future it
needed to have access to a much lower cost product.
Continuing to manufacture automotive filters in Australia
did not enable this business to generate the margins
required to ensure satisfactory future returns, hence the
decision was made to cease manufacturing and to
source products from quality-accredited offshore
suppliers....

snip------------------------------------------------

and in the summary of operations

Automotive aftermarket products:
• Ryco oil, air and fuel filters
• Wesfil and Cooper filters
• Wix heavy duty filters
• Goss fuel pumps
Closed filter manufacturing plant at
Tottenham.
Converted Ryco Australia to a full
import business.
Grew CVA return despite tough market
conditions.
Retained key housebrand contracts in
New Zealand.
Consolidate new sourcing structure
in GUD Automotive.
Support Ryco with targeted sales
and marketing programs.
Introduce new image for Ryco with
revamped packaging.
Evaluate further geographic expansion
for Wesfil.
Implement new business enterprise
system in Wesfil.

snip---------------------------------------------------

The conversion of Ryco Australia to a full import business
mirrors the strategy adopted in Sunbeam in the late
1990s and finalised with the relocation of electric blanket
manufacturing.
The final facets of Ryco Australia’s transition, following
the partial move in 2003/04, encompassed the closure
of the Tottenham oil and air filter manufacturing lines,
the identification of suitably qualified, cost-competitive
manufacturers and the establishment of product quality
assurance processes with the chosen suppliers, to
ensure that all products meet Ryco’s technical
specifications.
Old 25-07-2010, 11:16 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

All good easy info to find if one cares Blue.....but one fact I need to correct you.
As we know Ryco filters are outsourced since 05 but the Cooper brand which has been around for some 15-20yrs never ever came out of the Ryco/Melbourne factory.
The brand and company owned by a individual had already been importing since their entry into the market.
GUD made an offer to the Cooper owner some 8+yrs ago as the brand had gained a large slice of the "trade" market via the Reseller network which he accepted but to this day Cooper runs at its own steam and sources by its own means.
Both Companies have high demands from their suppliers / Ryco that bit more due to their OE business....
That in itself confirms good reliable product for the consumer, there can be a batch problem as some posts above possibly been the case ?
No - I am not a employee nor a filter supplier but am in the Aftermarket involved in other products/brands....and know these companies backgrounds.
I have seen your comparison posts many times over the years - though interesting and educating for those not in the know which is good I have a giggle to be honest as filters being such a consumable product and knowing the manymany companies who sell these items all day everyday the "problems" surprise me how low they are compared to the thousands out there that have no problems.
Like we all know - buy a known brand - they all have factory support if required.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 11:24 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Ok; agreed I should have said GUD Holdings just also own Cooper and Wesfil.

I just copies and pasted the foregoing of some of my earlier posts here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11194162 and added in Cooper (wrongly) as that brand name had been raised and it is owned by GUD as well.

Last edited by aussiblue; 25-07-2010 at 11:36 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
Barry_v
rocknrolla

I wouldnt hesitate to use a ryco on anything other than a toyota, just because i know they had a bad batch. I've never had a problem with the old Z9.
Old 25-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I see GUD also import the cheap Green brand sold by Malz ( see Page 13 of their current catalogue http://www.malz.com.au/catalogues/MA...rSale_2010.pdf ) and the like. I wonder if they back this product like they do the Ryco labelled on. From external appearances they look like they come from the same Asian factory don't know what the filter media is like though,

I also agree that if you go with any name brand and you are safe without necessarily spending a fortune. Moreover, it appears a lot of very expensive filters are the same inside as cheaper brands.
Old 26-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #16
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mechanic mate told me today that copper oil filters are now certified to use as an OEM replacement and still be under factory warranty. Dont know when this started but ill ask him for more info
Old 26-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Blue re your Malz post 15 - sorry mate re GUD importing this Green brand for them....
You assume this I suppose they say "Z9 Alternative" which as the industry/consumers recognise this a Ryco number - due to the market for some 50yrs being used to the old market leader and their part numbering the hardest change to introduce is new part numbers hence the term "Alternative"...was advised malz bring it in themselves so there you go.
This happens also with brake pads etc most importers work using bendix numbers but changing the first 2 letters etcetc....

mickyyy - as I mentioned prior when you have a local importer who has good support via the Resellers around the country who inturn sell to the local workshops they have good Factory support supported by cataloging etc for their customers.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
You assume this I suppose ...
No; it's because it has I saw GUD on the cardboard boxes they were stocking the shelves from at Malz from. But I checked today and the packets just have the "green Filter Company Ltd" on them. An ABN search found nothing under that name but a further search shows they are a Thai company http://www.greenfilterthailand.com/ which appears to have nothing to do with GUD unless the Thai Asco group is somehow associated with them (and the annual reports of both companies say it;'s not the case). On reflection I guess Malz were probably just re-stocking the oil filter shelves with a variety of brand oil filters and probably just topped up a partially fill (or empty) GUD box with Green filters from their store room stock. I guess I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions without further research.

Last edited by aussiblue; 26-07-2010 at 11:35 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #19
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msman
cooper is a cheap brand, keep it for when you want to flush your engine or emergency.
i use motorcraft items (gen ford) cheaper then ryco mates at ford dealer
Most common motorcraft are made by Purolator IIRC.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post