Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-06-2016, 12:24 PM   #1
Strange1

Smile Goodbye :(

SHE'S DEAD!! I can't believe she's dead

Our 2006 SR Territory, our first ever family car has been officially written off :(

We purchased it in early 2009 when our daughter turned one, upgrading from a Festiva Trio. It only had 17,000K's on it and was immaculate. We spent $6k fitting liquid injected LPG to it and it cost us $8/100K's to run.

Our son came along a year later and the space was incredibly useful. It had taken us on every single family driving holiday.

Last month we were rear ended while sitting in traffic, pushing our towbar into the gas tank (no rupture) and ending our joy. It only had 110,000K's on it, fully serviced, immaculate inside and out *sigh*.

So now we have been arguing for 4 weeks waiting for a payout figure that won't cover our loss.

I called into the smash repairs the other day to remove anything left (Seat covers/mats etc) and took a final pic.

Goodbye
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 12:33 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Goodbye :(

That sucks mate.

Was the policy agreed value or market value?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 12:37 PM   #3
Strange1

It was insured as agreed value originally, but somewhere along the line they have changed it in the fine print during one of the renewals.
Charging $1100 a year for comp insurance had us still thinking it was agreed.... we won't be making that mistake again.
Old 21-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange1 View Post
It was insured as agreed value originally, but somewhere along the line they have changed it in the fine print during one of the renewals.
Charging $1100 a year for comp insurance had us still thinking it was agreed.... we won't be making that mistake again.

Insurance companies are good like that
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 01:00 PM   #5
GO FURTHER

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Territory.
No matter how good and careful one is on the roads, its always the other road users you have to keep an eye on. Not much you can do though with being rear ended.
I owned a couple of territories myself, and have many fond memories in each of them.
Anyway hope everything works out well for you with on the insurance side.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #6
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Agreed vs market is one of the biggies they have to run by you first. They can't just change their mind.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #7
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Sorry to hear of your loss.

At least no one is hurt and the car will live on in all those family memories of when the kids were young. My two grew up in our Territory too but both drive themselves these days - where do the years go?

I hope the insurance company doesn't rip you off too much but our Territory's certainly haven't held much value in the 2nd hand car market.

Rob

Quote:
We test drove a 2015 TS SZ MKII on Saturday and ended up buying it on Sunday, we collect it this coming weekend.
Hope you enjoy the replacement

Last edited by Raptor; 21-06-2016 at 01:32 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is unfortunate that the Ins Co's.try to rip customers off like this all the time.If you have the resources you can refuse to accept until they come up with an agreeable figure.The companies know most people can't afford to go without the payout so they offer a rip off figure knowing full well that most people willhaveto accept so they can get into another vehicle ASAP.If you can afford to wait they WILL come up to the right figure BUT you have to take the time to fight them.You can always sue the at fault driver for the shortfall as they will pass it on to their company
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises
Agreed vs market is one of the biggies they have to run by you first. They can't just change their mind.
We have gone through the old insurance forms that we still have and it just seems to change over at some stage. Unless they did it during a phone call to offer a better rate or something *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I hope the insurance company doesn't rip you off too much but our Territory's certainly haven't held much value in the 2nd hand car market.

Rob

Hope you enjoy the replacement
The 2nd hand market it dead, the bit that they are giving me the ***** with is them saying that compared to a similar vehicle they will give us an extra $400 to cover having the gas system and 60,000Kms less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie F100
It is unfortunate that the Ins Co's.try to rip customers off like this all the time.If you have the resources you can refuse to accept until they come up with an agreeable figure.The companies know most people can't afford to go without the payout so they offer a rip off figure knowing full well that most people willhaveto accept so they can get into another vehicle ASAP.If you can afford to wait they WILL come up to the right figure BUT you have to take the time to fight them.You can always sue the at fault driver for the shortfall as they will pass it on to their company
Yeah as it's been 4 weeks of them umming and ahhhing about whether or not they will fix the car we have had to go purchase a replacement already. So we are prepared to play the longer game to hopefully get a better offer.
Looking at the old one she was a lot of car for $7k....
Old 21-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2nd hand market it dead, the bit that they are giving me the ***** with is them saying that compared to a similar vehicle they will give us an extra $400 to cover having the gas system and 60,000Kms less.

I think the main issue here is that you have been paying $1100 premium for a lot more cover than the Ins Co s offering.I obviously don't know the figure but if you have paid a premium based on $10000+ cover that is what you should be being paid out.But as I said earlier if you can hang out you will get a better offer because at this stage they are playing the waiting game with you.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Wow, I pay $1400 a year for full comprehensive on my Typhoon at an agreed value of $26000! And they are more than happy with mods!

I'm thinking that you should mention that you can get a better policy somewhere else for the next car (do the research) if they don't do better than $400 extra for LPG and 60,000kms less!!

Talk their language, money in their pockets. It brings about movement on their behalf.

Also a Financial Ombudsman Service is your friend...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 07:02 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's sad when you lose a good car to someone else's mistake.

$1100 premium seams quite high for an 06 terri with a market value, unless you have a bad insurance record.
I pay somewhere around $1300 for comprehensive plus with an agreed value of $51,000. Unlisted legal mods are also covered.
I have made a not at fault claim with zero issues.

Last edited by Ben73; 21-06-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #13
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
$1100 premium seams quite high for an 06 terri with a market value, unless you have a bad insurance record.
I pay somewhere around $1300 for agreed value of $51,000. Unlisted legal mods are also covered.
I have made a not at fault claim with zero issues.
100% clean driving history, no accidents at all and insured for over 30's only.

Funnily enough I popped in the details of the 2015 SZII TS TDi that we are buying and the quote for that from the same company is $630.
Old 21-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #14
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure insurance rates rely on australian apathy

"So, you want to charge me more this year, because the car has depreciated in value and is worth less?"
Righhhttt.

If you just pay your bill without challenging them, they will rip you.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383hq View Post
I'm sure insurance rates rely on australian apathy

"So, you want to charge me more this year, because the car has depreciated in value and is worth less?"
Righhhttt.

If you just pay your bill without challenging them, they will rip you.
We actually look around each year and they were still the cheapest for that car *shrugs*
Old 21-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #16
GO FURTHER

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
I would have to agree that with your good driving record, $1100 a year for a 10 year old Territory is rather expensive.

I pay $830 a year for my 2014 XR6 Turbo and that covers them having to replace my car with a brand new one in the first 2 years should it be stolen or written off, and thats with the RACV, not some smaller insurance company. Basic excess of $625, free windscreen replacement with no excess, and free hire car while being repaired.

I'm in Victoria, maybe car comprehensive insurance is more expensive in other states ?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 08:24 PM   #17
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The industry has changed so much due to the value of second hand cars. Back in the day they had to be pretty mangled not to be repaired. Hard to adjust to what they don't bother repairing anymore.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #18
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX
I'm in Victoria, maybe car comprehensive insurance is more expensive in other states ?
NSW is more expensive for everything, especially insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping
The industry has changed so much due to the value of second hand cars. Back in the day they had to be pretty mangled not to be repaired. Hard to adjust to what they don't bother repairing anymore.
There was a fair bit of damage on the car that doesn't show in the pic. Ripples in the roof from the rear ender and we were also pushed into the car in front. It also pushed the towbar into the gas tank so that would have all needed replacing as well.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The overriding criteria is postcode. The postcode with the most recorded claims attracts the highest premiums.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 08:40 PM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Were you at fault? Seems unlikely if you were rear-ended? Your insurer should be going after the at-fault driver.
I would be arguing this all the way to the top. Even talk to the insurance ombudsman. There must be some guidance somewhere on what "market value" actually means.
Old 26-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #21
Strange1

No not at fault, just sitting stopped in traffic.

We have it sorted now (hopefully) we refused their offer and sent them a list of comparable vehicles for sale. Just over a week later we got hold of them (After ringing every day and being told they would call back) and they offered us... wait for it.... an extra $100!
We said no way and they told us that if we tried to take it higher they would just reduce the amount offered again. We ended up telling them that if they up it by $1100 we will call it a day and go our own way, otherwise we'll just keep chasing.

They ended up accepting so now we can move the insurance for the other car away from them as soon as the money clears....
3 users like this post:
Old 26-06-2016, 09:04 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Who's the insurer?
Old 26-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #23
Strange1

It was Budget Direct.
Old 26-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
It was Budget Direct.
Ha! My wife got a quote from them for our home and contents insurance recently. Didn't end up going through with it, but they still sent us a letter claiming it was the best price they'd ever give us and that it was a special deal bla bla bla BS................ it was $8k a year!

Went with Suncorp for less than $2k.
Old 26-06-2016, 09:27 PM   #25
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW/ACT always use NRMA.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #26
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
NSW/ACT always use NRMA.
I've had to use the NRMA twice, and both times were a disaster, I wouldn't trust them with my insurance.
Old 26-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #27
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Sorry for the loss, Falcon/Territory's really are a great great car for the family.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2016, 05:12 AM   #28
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post

I'm thinking that you should mention that you can get a better policy somewhere else for the next car (do the research) if they don't do better than $400 extra for LPG and 60,000kms less!!

Talk their language, money in their pockets. It brings about movement on their behalf.

Also a Financial Ombudsman Service is your friend...

Yeah but no one pays the advertised price for a car and the insurance company knows it. You show them an ad for a Territory worth $400 less than your car, and they know that if you showed up with cash you could get a couple of grand off the advertised price.

So they are not going to offer you what people are advertising them for, especially if you are cherry-picking the ads that you are showing them.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2016, 07:36 AM   #29
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Yeah but no one pays the advertised price for a car and the insurance company knows it. You show them an ad for a Territory worth $400 less than your car, and they know that if you showed up with cash you could get a couple of grand off the advertised price.

So they are not going to offer you what people are advertising them for, especially if you are cherry-picking the ads that you are showing them.
Except all of the ads we could find for the SR (Without LPG and 60,000Ks+ more) were $3 - $4K more than what they were offering.

When you're down at the $7K end of the market you don't normally get $4k off.....
Old 27-06-2016, 07:39 AM   #30
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Sorry for the loss, Falcon/Territory's really are a great great car for the family.
Yeah they are

We ended up looking at the CX5, Sportage, Tucson, Sorento, Santa Fe, Kuga, Outback and Outlanders. Knocked some of them off the list after a closer look and sit in, and the others after a test drive.

Bit the bullet and have an SZ MkII Diesel TS in the drive now, it just ticks all the boxes.

Still miss the old girl though (Especially the $40 LPG fill ups that made the running costs the same as our Fiesta!)
4 users like this post: