Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
cappie

Default Re: 2019 Ford Focus

For those that are interested, I've received advice that my car will be in Melbourne on 15 May, so it appears as though it's on the Don Pasquale - Dealership is yet to confirm this but that's what I'm running with for now, based on my previous posts.

Last edited by cappie; 12-04-2019 at 01:17 PM.
cappie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
I've received advice that my car will be in Melbourne on 15 May,
I've not heard anything further on mine. I've got a possible three shipping dates 21, 29 and 30 May for a June deliver according to dealer. Hope yours get's in in the 15th.

As an aside, I am quite amazed at the amount of shipping there goes on in the world. It's a lot more intensive than I had imagined. Imagine being on one of these cargo vessels for weeks on end without setting foot on dry land? Have to appreciate the work these sailers do.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
cappie

Smile Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post

As an aside, I am quite amazed at the amount of shipping there goes on in the world. It's a lot more intensive than I had imagined. Imagine being on one of these cargo vessels for weeks on end without setting foot on dry land? Have to appreciate the work these sailers do.
Yeah, the amount of vessels on the water at any one time is staggering, just looking at marinetraffic.com (thanks for that link btw).

Fingers crossed that it lands on time and that yours departs at the earliest date possible :-)
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #4
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappie View Post
Yeah, the amount of vessels on the water at any one time is staggering, just looking at marinetraffic.com
Just doing more investigation. There's a massive RORO facility at the port of Bremerhaven, Germany. Just possible all the cars out of Saarlouis get sent by train there, rather than Zeebrugge in Belgium, although it is closer.
Old 17-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
cappie

Quote:
Just doing more investigation. There's a massive RORO facility at the port of Bremerhaven, Germany. Just possible all the cars out of Saarlouis get sent by train there, rather than Zeebrugge in Belgium, although it is closer.
I've just been informed that my car is still at the compound in Belgium and is due on a vessel on 11 May. This will mean a delivery in late June which makes it 4 months since contract signing - contract says delivery 30 Apr so I am weighing up whether to cancel given all of the recent negative reports on the car.
Old 14-04-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
mickjf
Starter Motor

I've got a Focus Trend as a loaner while some warranty work gets done on my Fiesta ST. Initial impressions:

The Good

- Rear legroom and boot space are very good
- The engine is an absolute cracker
- The extra tech even on the base model is welcome

The not so good

- Interior in the Trend still feels a bit low rent for $30k on road.
- And about that, $30k on road is way too much, $26-27k is probably more realistic.
- There is a noticeable delay changing from R to D.
- On anything but the Sport setting the auto and engine don't feel like they want to work together. Give me a manual any day.
- Dynamically I think it has lost something going to a torsion beam rear.
- For a car riding on 205/60/16 it isn't as compliant as I'd expect. Honestly my Type R in comfort mode with 245/35/19 feels nicer.

So a bit of a disappointment to be honest. You can see that they've moved it closer to their mainstream opposition and that should (may?) pay off in sales. But for the loyalists who've liked the way the Fiesta and Focus were dynamically brilliant, even in base model form, you'll be left wanting.

Maybe they just expect the ST Line or ST will scratch that itch for people.
mickjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #7
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjf View Post
- Dynamically I think it has lost something going to a torsion beam rear.
What has it lost? I drove the ST-Line with torsion beam and, honestly, 99% of drivers aren't going to care, let alone notice. Here's a link to a test of the ST-line with torsion beam . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_v9sy32Z5I
Old 14-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
mickjf
Starter Motor

Quote:
What has it lost? I drove the ST-Line with torsion beam and, honestly, 99% of drivers aren't going to care, let alone notice. Here's a link to a test of the ST-line with torsion beam . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_v9sy32Z5I
Don't get me wrong it's still very good, and I love the torsion beam setup in my Fiesta ST, so I'm not an IRS snob. It just feels as though while they've managed to largely compensate for not having IRS, Ford just haven't quite got it to the level of cohesion on the outgoing model.

There are a couple of sweeping left handers I take regularly that have a few undulations. Where the Fiesta just hooks up and gets on with it, the Focus feels unsettled and a bit jittery when pushed hard. Now that may be down to the tyres and different dampers/ride height compared to the ST Line but I suspect the torsion beam isn't helping.

But as Ford say 95% of people won't care or notice and the extra benefits are well worth it.
Old 14-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjf View Post
Don't get me wrong it's still very good, and I love the torsion beam setup in my Fiesta ST, so I'm not an IRS snob. It just feels as though while they've managed to largely compensate for not having IRS, Ford just haven't quite got it to the level of cohesion on the outgoing model.
I get the impression Ford aren't going to do too much to the Trend for the typical buyer interested in the model. The ST-Line I test drove seemed pretty good to me and I was driving over some pretty undulating patches. So, maybe it's a case of the firmer suspension setup making it a better car to drive. I have read a comment that the firmer set up made it more compliant than the Trend's softer suspension.

Quote:
. . . but I suspect the torsion beam isn't helping.
No, I'd say not, but I suspect the trust vectoring springs (also on your Fiesta) would make it a good deal better than normal.
Old 14-04-2019, 05:38 PM   #10
cappie

Another review on the Trend...
https://www.carsguide.com.au/overste...s-as-a-drivers
Old 14-04-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Focus Active delayed.......

https://www.caradvice.com.au/745363/...-delayed-june/

Strange considering they are already in at dealers?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #12
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Focus Active delayed.......
Strange considering they are already in at dealers?
Yes, well, the author of the article thinks 'launch' and 'delivery' are interchangeable. The Active is available to buy, right now, so it's definitely already 'launched'. I've seen one in the showroom and have ordered one and it's on its way. I imagine what the article should have said was delivery was delayed until June.

So maybe the author was quoting Ford, but it begs the question, why would Ford want to rob themselves of potential sales by saying a car already available to buy now won't be 'launched' until June. Potential buyers looking for a car right now will give Ford a miss and look elsewhere.
Old 15-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee there’s a few reviews getting around saying the Focus has lost it’s dynamic appeal. Dropping the Escape off tomorrow to get some new tires and noticed Ford have a few in the demo fleet so hopefully I can take one for the day.
Old 15-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #14
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton View Post
Gee there’s a few reviews getting around saying the Focus has lost it’s dynamic appeal. Dropping the Escape off tomorrow to get some new tires and noticed Ford have a few in the demo fleet so hopefully I can take one for the day.
My friend calls that "churnalism". Hope you get one to try out, but decide for yourself while keeping in mind what roads such a car is likely to spend most of its time on. And don't think it's only Ford; the new Mazda 3 has torsion beam and surprise! surprise! surprise! the same comments about loss of dynamics. I'm more inclined to believe it's a case of looking for something so insignificant to criticise when in fact some of these journos need to go back to driving a leaf sprung car to put things into proper perspective. The torsion beams in both cars are cutting edge stuff. No, they're not IRS, but they are sorted out pretty well that most drivers wouldn't even notice.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Best thing to do .... it take one for a burn ... and drive it the way to would drive it everyday .... along the same roads ... and even out of some backroads.

Only you will know if you like it or not.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Best thing to do .... it take one for a burn ... and drive it the way to would drive it everyday .... along the same roads ... and even out of some backroads.

Only you will know if you like it or not.
Spot on, missus had a new titanium for 3 days to try out even though we have a deposit on the next ST/RS, between me and her we both didn't rate the new focus, comparing her lz titanium to the new model. Only thing i liked in the new focus was that engine, great little unit. As for interior and driving feel, its definitely lacking compared to our LZ
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #17
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I had one too for a trip. Found it harsher then the LZ and some road noise. Glad I went the Mondeo Titanium instead for the Mrs.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #18
KosCo

Interesting reading some of the comments on the new Focus. We have an LZ Titanium at the moment and think it has been a great car. We will be keeping the LZ and are looking at the new Focus Titanium in about 4-5 months time (second choice of new vehicle could be a Hyundai i30 n-Line Premium).

Would like to hear any comments from new owners as to what they think of the new Focus. Unfortunately, there don’t seem to be many new owners on here at the moment providing such comments.

Any comments regarding –
. are Ford sales negotiating prices or taking a lump it or leave it attitude?
. any delays in delivery?
. has anyone tried to order options on the vehicle such as HUD, Active Park Assist 2 Pack, Panorama Roof Pack?

Will be arranging a test drive soon but would like to be prepared by comments or experiences from other people from here.

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 04:31 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
That's surprising. During Wheels COTY testing they said the Focus was the best car out of the whole field dynamically.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2019, 05:27 PM   #20
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
That's surprising. During Wheels COTY testing they said the Focus was the best car out of the whole field dynamically.
Will definably ask to see if I can take one of the ST-Line models tomorrow (they have a few Trends registered as well) and take the long way to work. Most reviews seem to be the Trend model, a couple of early reviews on the ST-Line raved about the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo
Any comments regarding –
. has anyone tried to order options on the vehicle such as HUD, Active Park Assist 2 Pack, Panorama Roof Pack?
Local dealer has a few Titanium's in the window advertised at $36k IIRC, no options and 2018 build. I really don't think there would be much wiggle room in them. Dealer also told me six months wait, but others here have been told similar and then were given much better timeframes. As for the options, the spec you've listed is how I'd want my Titanium, but with metallic paint it's an eye watering $42k. You can pick up a Mondeo cheaper (again like others have).

Anyway keen to give the car a good go, would love to add a fully loaded Magnetic Titanium to the garage and move away from the SUV!
Old 15-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #21
mickjf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's still a decent drive and no doubt better than most, if not all, its competitors. In my opinion just not as well sorted and cohesive as the LZ which inherently was a cracker of a chassis across all trim levels.
Old 15-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #22
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I have had the fortune of getting an ST-Line as a loan car and I'd say it's the best car I've driven, although that's not saying a lot considering that I haven't driven that many well sorted hatchbacks. But I do think it is a step up from the last generation Focus, albeit that the ride in the ST-Line was a bit firm. Well, at least it's noticeably firmer than my Mondeo Titanium with the adaptive suspension set to 'Comfort'.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #23
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
Any comments regarding –
I ordered a Focus Active with Driver assist Pack in late March. It's built and ready to ship and I'm expecting it to be delivered in June. If you want to add the option packs, you will need to have them factory fitted which means you have to order the car and wait. Delays in delivery? That depends on your point of view; bear in mind it's a long boat ride from Germany.
Old 15-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #24
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How does it compare to an LW?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #25
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up a Magnetic Trend loan car yesterday, have to say driving the car truly sheds some light on it. Obviously everyone is different, but my thoughts after a good few hours or so driving:

The good:

The engine has plenty of punch, and hums along
Touch the accelerator and the car just wants to go, pickup is really good, especially in Sport mode
It uses so much less petrol than the Escape, I’m getting 9L per 100km with city driving and hardly any highway use
Placement of the SYNC screen is so much better than the Escape, nice and easy to touch and the system is quicker
The car is like a little go cart on rails, is slips into corners and just weaves its way through
I like the handling, it’s a bit like a rubber band and bounces back
The space inside is massive, especially the back seat, it’s like a class bigger inside compared to an LZ
On the go, the transmission is quick and smooth, only sometimes holding a gear a little too long as opposed to downshifting
The tech inside is all pretty foolproof and well done

Not-so-good:

I still think the build quality inside isn’t befitting of the prices, so feel the car is quite overpriced
Interior design is a bit meh, it’s inoffensive and an improvement but not very interesting
Some specifications are just silly, no front parking sensors on the lower models and the HUD only optional on Titanium (standard on a Mazda 3 on all models)
The back suspension does “skip” over bumps compared to the front suspension, not the end of the world but you can notice it
Engine gets a bit rough in high revs
The transmission is slow to go to P to D or to R, and you can feel with each turn the car switching to the selected gear
Missed some of the luxuries of the Escape, the headrests don’t tilt forward, drivers seat don’t have the front tilt adjustment

All in all I really like it, I love the way it drives so hoping to try out an ST-Line / Titanium. Any major negative can be overcome with software updates or a reduction in price. Hoping to finalize an order for a Magnetic Titanium with all the options over the next few days. Like other have said, just go drive it if you're keen, the reviews seem to focus on a few elements but as an overall car it's brilliant.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #26
KosCo

Quote:
Hoping to finalize an order for a Magnetic Titanium with all the options over the next few days

Can you let us know how you go with your order especially the time frame for delivery and whether ordering the options causes any problems. I am looking at ordering a Titanium model in the next couple of months and would like to also add some options which appear to have to be installed at manufacture of the vehicle - so am interested to see if getting the options causes any dramas or holdups. Thanks.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #27
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can you let us know how you go with your order especially the time frame for delivery and whether ordering the options causes any problems. I am looking at ordering a Titanium model in the next couple of months and would like to also add some options which appear to have to be installed at manufacture of the vehicle - so am interested to see if getting the options causes any dramas or holdups. Thanks.
Was told an order today would have the car to me in four months, so usual order timeframe. No issue with adding the option packages, it’d be the same timeframe with or without. Just tossing now wether I just look at a loaded ST-Line in stock now or a Titanium without the Active Park 2 which would arrive sooner, or just order and wait.
Old 17-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #28
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Can you let us know how you go with your order especially the time frame for delivery and whether ordering the options causes any problems.
I don't think ordering a specific pack or combination of packs will necessarily delay an order more than usual. I ordered an Active with Driver Assist Pack, but if I included the Design Pack, it would not have made a difference to my delivery scheduled for June. The car gets built to order and that part doesn't take too long these days. Then it needs to be transported to holding yards for shipping. Shipping can take 32-48 days.
Old 17-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #29
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am in negotiations with my dealer at the moment on the below:

ST-Line
Blue Metallic
Design Pack
Panorama Roof Pack

He has told me this combo I am looking at 4 months wait at this point but they have stock of ST Line with no options ready to go...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #30
cappie

Smile Re: 2019 Ford Focus

Quote:
Picked up a Magnetic Trend loan car yesterday, have to say driving the car truly sheds some light on it. Obviously everyone is different, but my thoughts after a good few hours or so driving:
I was waiting to see what you thought