Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
rand0mn00b

Default headlights flash when cranking

Hi All,

I'd be interested to know if other MK2 Focus (LS/LT/LV) owners have similar behaviour on their Focus.

I have a 2007 LT petrol Focus... Basically, when I turn the ignition to start the engine, the headlights will flash on while the starter motor is cranking and be off again once the engine has started.

As you can imagine, it is much more noticeable when starting in the dark. It's something I noticed a few times previously but I'm not sure if it's because I've been noticing it more recently, or with daylight savings gone am starting the car in the dark more often... maybe a combination of both.

The car battery appears to be on its way out and the check engine light has come on - not sure if these two are related to each other or the headlight problem above. But if there's a connection I'd be interested to know.

So... can some of you guys with an LS/LT/LV with good batteries (or dying ones) let me know if your car has the same behaviour?

Thanks!

rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: headlights flash when cranking

our LT did the same. Replace the battery and problem gone.
Old 29-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
our LT did the same. Replace the battery and problem gone.
oh really, it had all of the above symptoms and all related to the dying battery?

I suppose the battery has had a good run. Getting on 6 years and nearly 120,000KMs is pretty impressive!
Old 30-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh ours lasted from 2007 to this year.
Old 31-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Can confirm that 'check engine' light will come on just prior to the battery going kaput. My powershift box alst started to play up.

That happened after the dealership had the car for the day changing the radio and they suggested that the battery could be gone, or the fact it has been connected / disconnected and started a few times may also be the issue.

Got another 2 weeks out of it then one morning it just refused to turn over. No real slow decay in performance, just working then dead.

Only got 3 years / 60k from the factory one. Put in a 600CCA unit with 3yr warranty so I should be good for a while yet!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #6
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Modern cars tend to use reduced voltage as a way of sending messages from sensors to the ECU so when the battery is not putting out its full voltage the sensors messages get misinterpreted and you start seeing error messages. This happens to nearly all of them now unless the battery just dies mechanically first, but usually it looses a cell so voltage drops.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
rand0mn00b

I checked my battery the other day and it's at 12.5V which seems ok and 13.8V when running so alternator is ok too. As I said it seems to be on its way out but not out yet... still starts... usually :p But can't complain about how long it's lasted so far

Using another car for now will see if voltage drops after a few days of non-use
Old 31-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had an LV Focus the battery only lasted 2 years and 25,000km. Also, no warning, just kaput one morning.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
rand0mn00b

ok battery officially died today

when cranking (and failing) the wipers also jerked forwards

whatever's happening doesn't seem good... low voltage on the ECU making it crazy or something
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b View Post
ok battery officially died today

when cranking (and failing) the wipers also jerked forwards

whatever's happening doesn't seem good... low voltage on the ECU making it crazy or something
Bugger.....

Don't know if the battery is different between the Petrol and Diesel cars but if you buy the 'correct' one, you are looking at the $220-$260 mark.

The one NRMA fitted was above spec of the factory one and had 3yrs warranty. It wasn't that much more ($20-30) than an off the shelf Repco one and the warranty was only 2yrs and had a lower CCA rating.

Plus you didn't need to get your hands dirty changing it..

Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #11
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would expect the diesel one to have more cranking power, as they usually have the glow plugs operating when cranking so the engine draws more amps than a petrol engine.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #12
rand0mn00b

yes the diesel battery is larger, but the petrol focus has the ability to fit the larger battery if you want by removing a bracket in the battery box. i am considering that option. i think i'll install my own though... looking at a supercharge gold MF66 (larger option) should be considerably less than the NRMA option!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b View Post
yes the diesel battery is larger, but the petrol focus has the ability to fit the larger battery if you want by removing a bracket in the battery box. i am considering that option. i think i'll install my own though... looking at a supercharge gold MF66 (larger option) should be considerably less than the NRMA option!
Don't forget the radio code....

Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #14
rand0mn00b

hehe... there was a card with my books with a radio code on it

so i tried entering it twice, but it's incorrect. 1 more try...

i had a look at the dealer's paperwork and there is 1 digit wrong on the VIN number with what's on the car. contacted the dealer who said their database has the same radio code for that car. they claim it's because the radio was swapped over at some stage in the car's life... doubt that

so... just waiting for some removal keys to arrive so i can remove the radio and send it off with my photo ID and rego papers to get the proper radio code =\ at least they're not charging me for it (they offered me that service if I brought the car in... hehe yeah right)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

confess my dealer told me they needed the serial number of the radio to get the code. They even took the radio out to get the number before finally advising the code.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #16
rand0mn00b

I mean they offered the service of charging me if I brought it in :p