Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation THRIFTY Car Rental Cleaning Charge !!!

My daughter hired a car from THRIFTY and in the contract it states "car must be returned clean" "or a $275 cleaning fee will be charged" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have hired cars from Avis and Hertz and have never seen this charge in their contracts.
Any FF members had problems with THRIFTY, and car cleaning ?

Old 13-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Pretty common place I thought these days.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Lightning Strike XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed. What you think you can leave your crap there and expect the poor bloke to clean it up?

Sure they will alow bit of dirt but not a filthy car.

www.bseries.com.au/04xr6

Buying or Selling property in Melbourne PM me!
Lightning Strike XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
My daughter hired a car from THRIFTY and in the contract it states "car must be returned clean" "or a $275 cleaning fee will be charged" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have hired cars from Avis and Hertz and have never seen this charge in their contracts.
Any FF members had problems with THRIFTY, and car cleaning ?
Ha ha ...A $275 cleaning charge is a bit steep when all they'll do is take it around to a car wash cafe and pay no more than $30...or do it in house for the cost of their hired labour

I wonder how dirty they will allow before charging the fee?
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strike XR6
Agreed. What you think you can leave your crap there and expect the poor bloke to clean it up?
Yep sure do. Thats why you pay for the hire of the car. Last two hire cars I had were dirty on both the inside and the outside, but I did not get a discount on the hire rate, why should I clean the car for them?
Actually, the last hire car Avis tried to give me in Syd had bald outside edges on LHS tyres dented door and guard as well as filthy. Check out guy looked annoyed when I asked for something roadworthy for my $100 a day fee. :
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

only applicable if you really dirty the thing.
Old 13-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car had usual road dirt from a weeks hire, no maccas wrappers, cans etc inside. The "fair wear and tear" doesn't apply. I hired a car in Adelaide, Hertz, two weeks ago, went to Mt Barker, Barossa Valley and it was in a storm sunday night. Outside was dirty, inside clean, Hertz said nothing. So why should Thrifty ? they charge enough to hire a car. !!
Her husband took it too a carwash. $10 !!
ACCC needs to look at the hire car industry.
Old 13-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Racked up >4000kms in WA last April and returned feeless with Budget. Needed a good wash and vac. However, food wrappers, travellers, etc were removed.
Old 13-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #9
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

In regards to this sort of thing, Budget only charge if:

- Vehicle has been actually damaged in some way, including soiled interior
- Evidence of alcohol consumption
- Evidence of smoking

Sounds like thrifty just trying to make some extra money to me.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

No but dont use europecar as they are the biggest rip offs i have ever seen, the missus flew to cairns to see her sons new baby and hired a carnival from these guys, and when she brought it back they signed off on the car at the airport. the guy comes out looks over car then signs form, not thinking any thing about it and fly's back to Brisbane. Couple of weeks later after checking visa statement they had taken out an extra 660 dollars for a headlight protector, and after going through a lot of red tape found we did not have a leg to stand on, truly sucked. So if we need a car in cairns from now on we drive up
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds fair to me, what's so hard about keeping the car reasonably clean?

Old 13-11-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any hire car I get, I always make sure it's clean when I take it back to avoid any additional charges. Find a car lovers, take out any rubbish from inside. If the carpets are dirty a quick clean with the vac and a couple of bucks to hose the car so it's respectable. It's really not that hard. Takes about 10 minutes to do.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 08:49 PM   #13
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I used to be a supervisor at a major thrifty location and yes even though it stats that in the contact it is more for the cost of repairing or replacement. In my time I hacve not heard of this fee being charged and some of the cars that have been returned were shocking eg: Food, throw up, peoples actual and urine, smoke butts that have burnt into seats and floors, condoms and all that on to of the normal stuff like sand, dirt, mud ect.

Some of the thrifty cars are really hard to keep clean (mitsubishis) but as I said I havent heard of the fee being charged. Also you need to factor in that unlike the bigger rental mobs like avis and hertz, thrifty does not have and arrangement with manufactors to buy and use the cars for 12-18 months and sell them back to the manufacture at a pre determind price reguardless of the condition. Thrifty own all there own cars out right with out any deals and at the end of their rental life the are processed, repaired, cleaned and sold off by thrifty at auctions. The only thrifty cars that arent owned by thrifty australia are those cars owned by a fanchise location which there are only a few left on the easten side of the country and gold coast being the only one I can remember off the top of my head.

So dont be scared off by the chance that the fee might happen. Instead look at the fact that a thrifty car is treated, clean and serviced by their employees knowing that that the better the condition of the car threw its rental life the more money they can make when they sell it off

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when you hire a car from budget they do a damage report, before you take possesion you are supposed to check around the car and see if they missed something if ok you sign off on it, its in your best interests to check very carefully or you may pay!, make sure scratches, dents, stars on windscreen are marked, and a note on your contract if the car was clean and tank full, a copy of the damage report is left in the glove box or on the spare tyre, when the car is returned they check over it .....any thing found extra will be your fault, remembering the car may be checked in by another employee, so if you missed damage or the first guy did you may end up paying, its good practise to filler up before returning the car as well or you may be slugged at the most expensive per litre rate.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$275 is probably what a detailer charges to do a full clean. Not unreasonable when you think of what can be done to a vehicle (vomit, alcohol, needles, mud, blood etc)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 12:08 AM   #16
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i hired a 380 years ago i had it for a week and thrashed the beejesus out of it. Muddy roads, hard braking, burnouts, cranked metallica on the stereo, smoked in it, ate fast food while driving then made a mountain of rubbish in the back, etc.
But the night before returning it i made an earnest effort to to clean it. Spent a whole $12 at a super dooper clean/wash convenience, sprayed half a can of deodorant inside, made sure the interior was as recieved, topped the tank, and didn't suffer a surcharge!
Simple.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #17
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Any hire car I get, I always make sure it's clean when I take it back to avoid any additional charges. Find a car lovers, take out any rubbish from inside. If the carpets are dirty a quick clean with the vac and a couple of bucks to hose the car so it's respectable. It's really not that hard. Takes about 10 minutes to do.
I do the same and fill the fuel up so I don't have any issues I also take out all insurance that I can get to cover any damage to the car or other cars and property it is a rip off but saves headaches if any accidents might occur
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 05:59 AM   #18
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
In regards to this sort of thing, Budget only charge if:

- Vehicle has been actually damaged in some way, including soiled interior
- Evidence of alcohol consumption
- Evidence of smoking

Sounds like thrifty just trying to make some extra money to me.
Wrong on the second. I dropped a stubby one arvo when the mrs turn to drive.
Old 14-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
No but dont use europecar as they are the biggest rip offs i have ever seen, the missus flew to cairns to see her sons new baby and hired a carnival from these guys, and when she brought it back they signed off on the car at the airport. the guy comes out looks over car then signs form, not thinking any thing about it and fly's back to Brisbane. Couple of weeks later after checking visa statement they had taken out an extra 660 dollars for a headlight protector, and after going through a lot of red tape found we did not have a leg to stand on, truly sucked. So if we need a car in cairns from now on we drive up

How could a headlight protector cost that much? Or was the "headlight protector" the front mudguard?

By the way, I have a specific insurance policy through ANZ Bank with a $125 annual premium that covers me for any excess charged by a hire car company both here and anywhere overseas.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 09:39 AM   #20
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hire cars a often and i usually leave a fair bit of work related and some fast food rubbish, but mention it to the drop off bloke and they say thats fine.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #21
blueau

i hired a 12 seater van for a bucks night(from avis) . 2 of the guys threw up in it,had to wash the back out at carlovers and clean the seats a few times.it looked clean but could not get the smell out it was foul! took it back about a month ago no charge yet. think i just got lucky.
blueau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
FPV GT40
Banned

Not sure what the problem is you dirty it, you clean it, thats life, if you could not be bothered cleaning it then you must pay whatever they charge, if you think its unreasonable or too expensive you have always got the option of cleaning it yourself.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rent a unit out and vacate it dirty and see what happens to your Bond....

Old 14-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
BOSHOG
avenge me

i had a hire car from europecar when my car was at autotech for a week and i took it back dirty, no rubbish, but as dirty as a car gets in a week and no extra charge for me

if you send a car back filthy you should be charged extra, why should the price of a hire car rise for the vast majority because a few want to send a car back filthy?
Old 14-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
If you know you didn't damage the car I would not have stopped till I got every cent back...

That's a weeks wages for many people. What red tape did you encounter?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #26
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

*double post*
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #27
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Considering how much it costs to hire cars Id expect to be able to return it dirty (meaning I havent washed the exterior irrespective of how dirty it is, and the interior is free from rubbish) This is how Ive always returned hire cars with ***'d companies btw.

What next, theyll expact a full detail upon return as well? And if youre unlucky enough for the spanner to light up on the dash you have to get it serviced? ffs!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #28
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I dont always wash the outside of the car (Although I do try and take it to a car wash before giving it back), but I do fill it up and clean any rubbish out of the car. I couldn't imaging giving a car back with rubbish in it. Yuk!
Old 14-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #29
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Exclamation

i myself rented a falcon xr6 from thrifty last weekend for the phillip island(bahrain) round from tullamarine.i found their service to be good and helpful.
upon returning the car i made sure it was as i received it bar incelement weather and dust storms etc etc and a full tank of fuel.
the car was refuelled at the BP @tullarmarine to the first click at the pump.
next day back at home i checked my credit card with internet banking and found i had been charged a $22.00 fuel charge from thrifty!
i contacted the thrifty desk @ tullamarine and enquired as to what this charge was about?
i was told it was a fuel charge! i explained to the person on the end of the line that i had filled the car to the first click of the fuel pump(as per the owners manual) less than 200 metres away before returning vehicle to depot and also told them that i had left receipt in glovebox.(should have kept receipt i know)
thrifty lady advised me that this was a common problem with the falcons and promised me a refund would be forthcoming and it did come!
but be aware,check your banking statements after renting any vehicle from any rental car agency.
Old 14-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah FGs fuel guages are all over the place.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post