Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up MB Diesel 105,000 Service Reflections

Hi All,

Just completed a 105,000 service on my TB Zetec TDci.

Oil and filter change were simple and easy enough. Didn't have a 26mm socket though, so I'm unsure if I've put enough torque on the filter cover. It's done up all the way though, so I reckon it'll be right.

Interesting though, I had purchased a 36mm socket from England in readiness for this job. Yesterday the mechanic at Essendon Ford confirmed that the nut was 36mm. WRONG!

The M8 hex nut on the sump was interesting, as I've never seen one before, being used to 15mm Falcon nuts. Didn't know that torque setting either. Did it up nice and tight, but I reckon the copper washer will need replacing next time.

The pollen filter however, was a right royal pain in the butt! Couldn't believe how fiddly that was. I can only imagine the labour Ford charge for that one! LOL!

All in all though (pollen filter aside), I was pleased with how it all came apart and went back together. The filter and oil change was nice and easy, not like Ford Lasers I've serviced in the past, with the filter up the back of the engine, spilling heaps of oil over components. This one, nice and neat.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Question Re: MB Diesel 105,000 Service Reflections

BTW, can anyone confirm the oil filter cover nut is 26mm?

I used a 28mm tube socket, which I have for the front axle nut on my Ducati Monster. Did the trick okay, but can't be attached to my torque wrench.

I want the proper tools for next time.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 29-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
nevetsg

Default Re: MB Diesel 105,000 Service Reflections

We have had this discussion before, WhiteTDCI says 26mm I say 27mm.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382237

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg View Post
We have had this discussion before, WhiteTDCI says 26mm I say 27mm.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11382237
I reckon mine will be a 27mm. The 28mm tube socket felt okay and not sloppy. I reckon if mine was 26mm, there'd be some easily felt slop.

Cheers for the link to your previous discussion.

Can you tell me the torque setting for the M8 sump plug?

Also, is the filter cap is 25Nm?

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 30-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Just remembered that I had a new 28mm socket, as the tube socket didn't work too well on the Ducati.

Tried it today on the filter cap and voila! Magnificent! Torqued up to 25NM and all's good.

Cheers,

GK

On another note. Drove to Geelong today. Round trip was 160 odd kays with the trip meter showing another 1100 to go.

Loving the Mondeo!

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 30-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
nevetsg

Good to hear you got it sorted. There isn't much room in there to be going at it with a spanner.
Now to investigate getting a tuning box to make the TDCi just that little bit more fun ;-)
I am currently missing mine whilst cruising about in a gen1 Mazda 6 curtsey car.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
Old 30-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Have looked at tuning boxes on eBay, from $150 to about $450.

They're plug and play right, or do they need to be dynoed or such? And totally removable in case you should have the need to put it back to stock in a jiffy? If you remove them, does the tune and boost etc go back to stock?

What sort of gains would you expect? Is it really worth it? I'm very new to diesels so I guess I'd be a little concerned that I'd do some damage to the longevity of the engine and gearbox.

What's your experience with such things?

Also, egr blocking plates. What can you tell me about those? From what I've heard, they are a $40 mod that results in a fair amount of extra boost.

Cheers,

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 30-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
nevetsg

All you questions are answered in other threads.
All the box really does is trick the ECU into increasing the fuel pressure to get more power. Plug and play and you are good to drive. The most time consuming part of a box is zip tying it to a mounting point. Check the other thread for pics of my install.

As for EGR blocking. It is a $10 hack that stops soot being send back into the air intake. You should also notice faster turbo spooling. The problem is that it is illegal.

Old 30-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg View Post
All you questions are answered in other threads.
All the box really does is trick the ECU into increasing the fuel pressure to get more power. Plug and play and you are good to drive. The most time consuming part of a box is zip tying it to a mounting point. Check the other thread for pics of my install.

As for EGR blocking. It is a $10 hack that stops soot being send back into the air intake. You should also notice faster turbo spooling. The problem is that it is illegal.
Cheers again for the info.

I'll check out your other thread.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Just remembered that I had a new 28mm socket, as the tube socket didn't work too well on the Ducati.

Tried it today on the filter cap and voila! Magnificent! Torqued up to 25NM and all's good.

Cheers,

GK

On another note. Drove to Geelong today. Round trip was 160 odd kays with the trip meter showing another 1100 to go.

Loving the Mondeo!
That is pretty impressive economy George, especially for a largeish car, it makes me wince when i think i drove my old lexus this week past week, it got good mileage actually for the old girl this time with 425 k`s and about 63 litres used lol.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
Have looked at tuning boxes on eBay, from $150 to about $450.

They're plug and play right, or do they need to be dynoed or such? And totally removable in case you should have the need to put it back to stock in a jiffy? If you remove them, does the tune and boost etc go back to stock?

What sort of gains would you expect? Is it really worth it? I'm very new to diesels so I guess I'd be a little concerned that I'd do some damage to the longevity of the engine and gearbox.

What's your experience with such things?

Also, egr blocking plates. What can you tell me about those? From what I've heard, they are a $40 mod that results in a fair amount of extra boost.

Cheers,

GK
I assume that a tune box adds more fuel?
as well as timing.

if so check the oil level daily, as the unburnt fuel will dilute the oil and rise on the dipstick.

a proper tune would be better by adding an extra injector pulse or widen the pulse width..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up Re: MB Diesel 105,000 Service Reflections

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
That is pretty impressive economy George, especially for a largeish car, it makes me wince when i think i drove my old lexus this week past week, it got good mileage actually for the old girl this time with 425 k`s and about 63 litres used lol.
LOL!

Topped her up tonight. Averaged 6.6 litres per 100, with 3 days driving round town added to the trip to and from Geelong.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 05-07-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done mate, you gotta be happy with that.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post