Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
olds

Default Ecoboost whats the point

Ok may get shot down here but I cant see anybody except fleets and taxis wanting ecoboost over the I6 . Convince me otherwise .

Old 20-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Default Re: Ecoboost whats the point

Fuel economy.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

ATM, fleets don't want I-6 Falcon or V6 Commodore either in petrol or LPG so they have to try something..

I don't think it would matter what engine you put in a Falcon, very few buyers want them.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #4
olds

But the decision for Ecoboost would have been made three years ago not ATM
Old 20-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Give it up olds, stop wasting bandwidth.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 20-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Fuel economy and cheaper rego in some states.
Also, the bulk of owners might get a fuzzy feeling driving a 4 cyl over a 6 cyl.
Anything that can help Ford sell more FGs is a great thing in my book.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Old 20-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Mr H

your wife wants a camry (running costs) u convince her that fords are cool, you meet halfway.....ecoboost!!!!
Old 20-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds
Ok may get shot down here but I cant see anybody except fleets and taxis wanting ecoboost over the I6 . Convince me otherwise .
and what do you suggest as an alternative to boost sales?
Old 20-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
1) $200 per year cheaper rego (in QLD anyway).
2) Cheaper to run as far as fuel is concerned without any of the compromises of LPG.
3) Longer range.
4) Lighter and better handling.
5) "Eco friendly" and "green" which to some is even more important that stripes and 20" rims.

It is important to remember than not everyone wants what you want and Falcon is available in a T4, NA6, LPG6, two different T6s and two different V8s.

Can you name another vehicle anywhere in the world with such a broad choice?
Old 20-05-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
olds

So I fork out 36k and Im worried about 10 cent /litre in fuel costs ?
Old 20-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Well, yes...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 20-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Give it up olds, stop wasting bandwidth.
Top reply lots of thought put into that Thanks
Old 20-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
nstg8a

Quote:
Top reply lots of thought put into that Thanks
about as much thought as the thread topic...

if you dont understand why ford would want to produce a car that is cheaper to run, cheaper to own, better for the environment, and will hopefully boost sales the there really is no point explaining it any further.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And those other people who fork out $30 grand on other 4 cyclinder cars like toyota, Honda etc also appreciate that fuel/ rego is expensive.

People who are looking at buying a 4 cyclinder car, usually want... a 4 cyclinder car! So now the Falcon is available to them, when previously they wouldnt have looked twice at it.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 20-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
Kryton

Its a legit question and a legit thread.
Im still waiting for Ford to tell us why we should buy one............
Seems they cant even do that.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
And that is exactly the point so what is the problem? Government fleets in particular have a 200g/klm of CO2 threshold which the Falcon can't meet without Ecoboost. Those extra few hundred fleet sales per month are better off going to Ecoboost Falcons instead of some whitegoods on wheels from Toyota.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 20-05-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
olds

People who are looking at buying a 4 cyclinder car, usually want... a 4 cyclinder car! So now the Falcon is available to them, when previously they wouldnt have looked twice at it.[/QUOTE]p

people that are looking at buying a 4 cylinder car will pay a 4 cylinder price not 6 cyclinder
Old 20-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
1) $200 per year cheaper rego (in QLD anyway).
2) Cheaper to run as far as fuel is concerned without any of the compromises of LPG.
3) Longer range.
4) Lighter and better handling.
5) "Eco friendly" and "green" which to some is even more important that stripes and 20" rims.

It is important to remember than not everyone wants what you want and Falcon is available in a T4, NA6, LPG6, two different T6s and two different V8s.

Can you name another vehicle anywhere in the world with such a broad choice?
The BMW 3 and 5 series would come close, available with 4, 6 and 8 cylinders, NA and Turbo as well as diesel.

Quote:
Doesn't have to make sense, its the same with people who pay double the price of a Corolla to buy a Prius, for slightly better economy and a sense of smugness.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:54 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
People who are looking at buying a 4 cyclinder car, usually want... a 4 cyclinder car! So now the Falcon is available to them, when previously they wouldnt have looked twice at it.
p

people that are looking at buying a 4 cylinder car will pay a 4 cylinder price not 6 cyclinder[/QUOTE]
What about people who pay 50k+ for a 4 cylinder 3 series or C Class Merc.

What about them.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
minheim

Road Warrior is spot on when he notes the limits on Gov't fleets.

Over time the ecoboost will hopefully gain a following as people realise you can have the benefits of fuel economy like a smaller car, but the power, size and performance of a six. This might make them also desirable second hand cars, which keeps fleets happy.

If so then eventually the resale of fleet falcons may in turn grow or maintain falcon sales volume (alongside sixes and lpg sales) at the expense of rivals.
Old 20-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Arguably, you have answered the question yourself. If the fleets and taxi's adopt it, it's likely enough to justify its existence.

I'm a little unsure as to why we need another thread to bash the EB...

Either some of our forum users should do work experience in Ford product planning or one day, we may look back and think 'they got it right'. You'd need a crystal ball to know whether EB has a real future.

On reflection, why the hell would anyone buy a Camry? I can't make sense of that so sometimes things that don't make sense, eventually just work.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 20-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #22
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
people that are looking at buying a 4 cylinder car will pay a 4 cylinder price not 6 cyclinder
4 cylinder price? Define that one please.

Toyota - have 4 cyl models going into the high 30s.
Honda - Some models well into the 40s.
Subaru - Ditto
Volkswagen - ditto, probably even higher.

The list goes on.

People are paying in the 30s and 40s for Focus' and Mondeos....

This thread is a waste of time.
Old 20-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It’s ironic that people want to keep prattling on incessantly about 4 cylinder fleets, like that is the saviour of Falcon, then accuse ME of being hung-up on the number of cylinders.
If a government department is buying Corollas and Camrys, then they are not going to swap to buying Falcons. Period. (Unless the price of a new Falcon is somehow slashed)

My points remain, and have always been:
1. From my view as a personal buyer and also a fleet manager, the EB falcon doesn’t make any sense, in so far as there are already better options available. If somebody wants the EB, then the Mondeo is a more appropriate option. If you want performance/ RWD, then the eColpi is a cheaper option.
2. Compared to our I6, The EB is NOT the wunderkind everybody seems to think. Real world tests have shown it is only marginally more efficient than the I6 (under 2c per km cheaper) and if you want the full power of the EB then the cost of PULP makes it more expensive.
3. Even the crap diesel they put in the Territory would have made IMHO a viable option in the Falcon. Had the gone with the updated 3.0lt TD, that in the Falcon could have been a game changer.
4. I doubt they spent much money on EB, but whatever it was would have been better spent improving the I6.
5. The EB Falcon will appeal to somebody that wants a Huge, Powerful, RWD “Aussie” Sedan, and doesn’t mind paying for the privilege, but at the same time wants lower greenhouse gas emissions. If Ford can find enough of such mythical creatures to significantly boost sales of the Falcon, then that is Fantastic.
Old 20-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #24
olds

Any thread that invokes discussion is not a waste of time that's what forums are about
Old 20-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What about people who pay 50k+ for a 4 cylinder 3 series or C Class Merc.

What about them.
Yes, Ford is now targeting Beemer & Merc buyers. Hallelujah the Falcon is saved!
Old 20-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #26
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point? Falcon Ecoboost combines the economy of a 4-cylinder car with the power of a 6-cylinder, and the space of a Falcon.

I love the I6, but I just wish it was more economical in stop/start city driving. My next car, whenever I get it, will most likely not be an I6 Falcon, unless Ford somehow manages to get Ecoboost economy from the six in urban driving.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
Old 20-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wondering olds and crazy dazz, which model new falcon have you both bought?
Old 20-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #28
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You honeslty havn't looked at this numbers of this engine have you? Both fuel & speed wise!! If you had, the quesiton would have been "what is the point of I6"!!!
Old 20-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #29
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
It’s ironic that people want to keep prattling on incessantly about 4 cylinder fleets, like that is the saviour of Falcon, then accuse ME of being hung-up on the number of cylinders.
If a government department is buying Corollas and Camrys, then they are not going to swap to buying Falcons. Period. (Unless the price of a new Falcon is somehow slashed)

My points remain, and have always been:
1. From my view as a personal buyer and also a fleet manager, the EB falcon doesn’t make any sense, in so far as there are already better options available. If somebody wants the EB, then the Mondeo is a more appropriate option. If you want performance/ RWD, then the eColpi is a cheaper option.
2. Compared to our I6, The EB is NOT the wunderkind everybody seems to think. Real world tests have shown it is only marginally more efficient than the I6 (under 2c per km cheaper) and if you want the full power of the EB then the cost of PULP makes it more expensive.
3. Even the crap diesel they put in the Territory would have made IMHO a viable option in the Falcon. Had the gone with the updated 3.0lt TD, that in the Falcon could have been a game changer.
4. I doubt they spent much money on EB, but whatever it was would have been better spent improving the I6.
5. The EB Falcon will appeal to somebody that wants a Huge, Powerful, RWD “Aussie” Sedan, and doesn’t mind paying for the privilege, but at the same time wants lower greenhouse gas emissions. If Ford can find enough of such mythical creatures to significantly boost sales of the Falcon, then that is Fantastic.
what makes the mondeo a more appropriate option?

personally id buy the ecolpi over the eb, but im a bbq gas fan, and can see that its not for everyone. much the same as the eb isnt for everyone.
Old 20-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #30
olds

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Just wondering olds and crazy dazz, which model new falcon have you both bought?
Bought a march 2012 territory what have you got
Closed Thread