Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #481
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Ok, what is wrong with people! Hoarding toilet paper...

How many sheets do you use per #2?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2020, 11:46 AM   #482
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What? No refunds ?????

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...dings/12149548
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #483
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I honestly did ponder the would-be profiteer’s ethnicity.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #484
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Thanks to all the hoarders, now I'm finding it difficult to buy a Ventolin over the counter for Asthma.
All the local pharmacies are insisting on a prescription even though mine is only exercised induced (ie working) which I have been buying over the counter for years.
Even checked with a phone call to the office of the Federal health minister who says the directive means a is limit of one per customer over the counter with no script.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #485
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s not good. Similar shortages up here on some respiratory medicines - getting offered kiddie prescriptions x2 by the pharmacy.
Old 20-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #486
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Thanks to all the hoarders, now I'm finding it difficult to buy a Ventolin over the counter for Asthma.
All the local pharmacies are insisting on a prescription even though mine is only exercised induced (ie working) which I have been buying over the counter for years.
Even checked with a phone call to the office of the Federal health minister who says the directive means a is limit of one per customer over the counter with no script.
yes same prob a few weeks back in northern sydney.
2nd son is a minor asthmatic and concerns due to c19 what if he gets an attack we had no more, went up none at the time, chemist come back in a couple of days they'll have plenty generic ones that they did.
Even they said they were ****ed off by the hoarding.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2020, 03:23 PM   #487
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yeah, problem is Ventolin is a US brand by GSK and Asmol is Aussie but not as effective in my way of thinking.
I can not convince these pharmacies to sell me one over the counter even though what they are doing is against the law.
Local hospital told me I can not buy from their pharmacy unless I go to the emergency dept with an emergency.

Old 20-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #488
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I totally believe this, have experienced similar with parents. Too much covering their backsides, not enough sanity.
Old 20-04-2020, 04:05 PM   #489
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Its a bizarre world we now live in but just solved it.

Old 20-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #490
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I totally believe this, have experienced similar with parents. Too much covering their backsides, not enough sanity.
I have the complete opposite with my 90/88 year old parents re food.
They have never been people to buy up to 2wks food let alone a week.
To them its about fresh, every couple of day they buy their next couple of nights feed.
My sister and I have been onto to them like mad the last month - stay home we will do the shop and we buy much more lol......
My Mum can't cope with this lol......
Covering their backsides has been "money" cash for that rainy day
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #491
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I received correspondence form Diabetes Australia about stock shortages on various items. Things like needle tip and blood test strips are now being rationed because of people hoarding.

In the supermarkets, seems frozen fruit is now the thing to hoard. Three supermarket visits today, two yesterday, trying to find frozen strawberries for my morning breakfast. Nothing. But great news, the toilet paper shelves were full. Seems the hoarders have run out of room to store their toilet paper stock pile.

I'm over it! I would normally go the supermarket once, maybe twice a week. Now trying to get everything I need takes several trips per week. And yet we are supposed to be limiting the amount of time we spend outside of the home.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #492
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Are they buying the fruit for Vitamin C?
Quote:
Now trying to get everything I need takes several trips per week. And yet we are supposed to be limiting the amount of time we spend outside of the home.
Exactly. And how is it "safer" to queue with dozens of others in a line, waiting to be "sanitised" and allowed into a shop?
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #493
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

People who allow Google some access to their location data form the core of these “live” customer graphs:

It’s readily found just by (literally) Googling the business name/location and then following the prompt for more. I use this information to make sure of shopping at the quietest practical time.
Old 20-04-2020, 10:07 PM   #494
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
People who allow Google some access to their location data form the core of these “live” customer graphs:

It’s readily found just by (literally) Googling the business name/location and then following the prompt for more. I use this information to make sure of shopping at the quietest practical time.
Like the guy in Europe who put 600 mobiles in a trolly and walked around a few streets.

Google had it pegged as traffic jams!
Old 20-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #495
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Imagine if you’d loaded the Govco tracking app on each phone.

“Police tonight shut down an illegal gathering of almost 600 people in a shopping trolley.”
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #496
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Shopped at Aldi for the brood. Almost normal stocking of many previously hard-to-find items.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #497
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Jagged on medium disposable gloves for personal care and light cleaning duties. Run completely out, my usual pharmacy supply has none in stock, no idea of when they’ll receive any.

Not sure if it’s the hoarders or the hospitals at root of this. Also not sure what I can do to replenish. :(
Old 03-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #498
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Found some hand sanitizer on the shelf on this weeks shop, like gloves, hard to get.

Mustang GT

Old 03-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #499
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

50ml, they’re sending it out like the proverbial quartermaster! But at least you got name brand, etc.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:44 PM   #500
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

For some reason we struggled to get a bottle of metho - no clue what the hell was going on there but it took a few different major shops to get some over a few days before we snagged some.

Same with pineoclean for some reason

Anyway there's still restrictions on canned tomatoes locally at the moment, is now difficult to properly make a base for bolognese sauce.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #501
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
50ml, they’re sending it out like the proverbial quartermaster! But at least you got name brand, etc.
$3.50 for that 50ml bottle.

The bottle size is perfect for me, I have it in my pocket when I'm shopping or in between customers. I then refill them from a larger bottle.
Mustang GT

Old 03-05-2020, 10:37 PM   #502
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Anyway there's still restrictions on canned tomatoes locally at the moment, is now difficult to properly make a base for bolognese sauce.
Have the idiots also bought out all the sugo and passata?
It's not even ragu season yet. I bet those old Italians that make their own will set up tables on the road side any week now

It's difficult times indeed because a lot of my cheap eats are gone. Resorting to pesto sometimes instead now as a base - when I can get pasta.

When I do get some pasta it's carbonara, aglio e olio, primevera etc.
Or something like a recipe that I can chuck in a couple of diced fresh tomatoes in like a pasta al pomodoro plus garlic, olives and whatever is in my pantry.

I've learnt a new recipe: Pasta alla Gricia it's like a egg-less carbonara or a tomato-less amitriciana. E: I'm thankful for cheese availablity!

Last edited by oldel; 03-05-2020 at 10:44 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2020, 11:03 PM   #503
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Stop making me hungry!

Seem to have good supply of the Aussie diced tomato up here, at least a week ago. And good fresh Roma.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #504
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
$3.50 for that 50ml bottle.

The bottle size is perfect for me, I have it in my pocket when I'm shopping or in between customers. I then refill them from a larger bottle.
You could always start making your own hand sanitizer. Shannon Lush has a recipe, and her opinion is that it works better than the commercial type anyway.

Here's one source that has the recipe. There's many others available if you want to listen to her talk about it....

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #505
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought it was time for a cleanup of bedside drawers over weekend and haven been to 3rd world countries over the past few years, I discovered 8 bottles of hand sanitiser.

This morning while shopping with wifey I 'accidentally' dropped one, **** you should have seen the lolly scramble. was so funny to walk away with it being fought over and pull another out of my pocket.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #506
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
You could always start making your own hand sanitizer. Shannon Lush has a recipe, and her opinion is that it works better than the commercial type anyway.

Here's one source that has the recipe. There's many others available if you want to listen to her talk about it....
Yes, I have made my own too when none was available locally.

Trouble is, everyone is doing that too so buying IPA alcohol is/was just as hard as trying to buy toilet paper.
Mustang GT

Old 07-05-2020, 07:20 AM   #507
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse - 2020

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #508
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
For some reason we struggled to get a bottle of metho - no clue what the hell was going on there but it took a few different major shops to get some over a few days before we snagged some.

Same with pineoclean for some reason

I had no issues buying 12 cans at Aldi last night.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2020, 07:29 AM   #509
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Jagged on medium disposable gloves for personal care and light cleaning duties. Run completely out, my usual pharmacy supply has none in stock, no idea of when they’ll receive any.

Not sure if it’s the hoarders or the hospitals at root of this. Also not sure what I can do to replenish. :(
Try mechanic suppliers, Bursons, Repco etc. Mechanics use gloves all the time.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 07:35 AM   #510
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
I had no issues buying 12 cans at Aldi last night.
Boganistan IGA hates wogs that's all it is
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: