Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Question FG wagon - what would it have been?

Now before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I know full well there isn't and never will be another Falcon wagon, what I would like to explore is an alternate future which assumes there would have been.

What would an FG wagon have been?

Would it have been a rebodied B-series car with leaf springs and a LWB platform, or something more like the Commode Sportwagon on the sedan platform with IRS?

Having just spent the past 2 weeks tooling around in an AU wagon, I now realise how useful the old wagon actually was. That load space will swallow a lot of crap. And as for the leaf sprung v IRS argument - who cares. The average wagon buyer isn't buying a wagon for its handling prowess and probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the two under normal driving conditions. Henceforth I reckon Ford could have gotten away with offering an FG wagon on a LWB platform with leaf springs. But the old wagon's downfall was, quite simply, it wasn't stylish, and physical attraction is the first obstacle to any successful 'relationship'. If it was a stylish little (or large) number, it may have been a winner.

What say you? What would it have been?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: FG wagon - what would it have been?

Ive heard an FG wagon had been styled but not approved and given Holdens new direction theres every possibility Ford wouldve followed, however looking back at previous Falcon wagons, theyve got a distinct familiarity about them in the rear end going back to the EA wagon. Because of that i find it hard to believe that when Ford are having to spend less on the mainstream models, they'd spend more on the niche models than they have in the past, which surely would have to be the case to produce a Falcon wagon drastically different from its forebear. It may have still looked good though, i know theres plenty of AU wagons that with the right treatment look nice but i cant say i see too many nice looking BA wagons. They may have managed to restyle the whole bodyside whilst maintaining the inner structure as much as possible.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

A Flop. According to Ford Australia.

Sorry. Had to say it.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 16-10-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

According to many Joe Citizens, A knock-off of the VE wagon. Which in itself is a knock off of the 300C. But its a Holden, so no one cares.

I reckon Ford wouldve had a better chance with a FG coupe. Not to ruffle feathers....
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:50 AM   #5
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to say with what holden did with the sportwagon is sensational, you could even order a hsv wagon and for once a wagon actually looked nice......
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I wonder.... how desirable have would a LPI wagon have been to taxi buyers?

How many Commy wagons were bought by fleets / government etc? If a Ford wagon was produced that could carry more and be 'greener' would that have taken their sales?

I think it's too later IMO. With the constant talk of the downfall of the full size car, a wagon probably would not earn Ford its development money back, especially with the new Territory.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
... especially with the new Territory.
Key point IMO. Territory is the wagon.

I think it is obvious considering they dropped it, that if they instead went ahead and built a wagon it would probably have been a BF with a grafted FG front. Given they dropped it, the decision would have been marginal to continue so unlikely given past practice to completely redesign the body. I didnt have an issue with the wagons (owned a couple), never liked the XD-F series they were too much like a hearse IMO, but the EL was a nice looking wagon, bugger even the EA wasnt all that bad and the cargo space was HUGE. Leaf springs was an advantage to me anyway as I bought them to use as wagons and often they had weight in them for months on end, coils would sag in no time.

I actually dont understand why more families dont buy wagons, apart from thats their choice. Throw a couple of push bikes in the back, some picnic gear, and/or fishing rods and gear, couple of kids and even a dog. So easy and still easy to drive and park around town.

Even as an 18 yr old there are advantages to wagons over sedans. Dont bother knockin.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #8
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Old 16-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 16-10-2011, 11:15 AM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
It would have been like that...and given people an alternative to the Sportswagon. The Territory isn't a "Falcon wagon"...it's seen as a "four wheel drive" type vehicle, something completely different, appealing to an entirely different buying sector. The ordinary man-in-the-street sees cars as beung in a few basic classes...sedan, wagon, four wheel drive/SUV. If they want a wagon, most people won't turn to an SUV, no matter how good it is...they want a "wagon"...a car with a bit tacked on the back.
Ford dropped the ball big time by dropping the wagon and just assuming people would automatically swap over to buying a Territory...I know plenty of "Ford guys" who lament the loss of the wagon, and don't really know what to turn to for their next family wagon...they don,t want a four wheel drive, and if you mention Territory, they just lump it in with four wheel drives...they want a Falcon wagon.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Those FG sportwagon chops look quite bizzare.

I still think that Ford could have done a leaf sprung wagon 'on the cheap' but I guess the volume of the Territory outweighs anything the wagon could have ever dreamed of obtaining.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I don't like it at all. They look like funeral cars.
Old 16-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Those FG sportwagon chops look quite bizzare.

I still think that Ford could have done a leaf sprung wagon 'on the cheap' but I guess the volume of the Territory outweighs anything the wagon could have ever dreamed of obtaining.
On the cheap being the underscored text becuse Ford saw the Stationwagon as tools of trade.

Now compare that perception with what's happened over at Holden where sport wagon and Ute
are mostly bought as mid and high series vehicles usually with a V8 option...

When holden introduced the sportwagon, it heavily canabalized sedan sales but I suspect that was
because VZ wagon buyers moved to VE sedan but really wanted the wagon back and moved accordingly.

What Ford is concerned about is spending on a wagon only to have it heavily canabalize Falcon sedan sales.
The diesel Mondeo Station wagon saved approx $300M to $400M in development costs wile giving
250-300 sales/mth, now that is what i call getting bang for your buck and still saving a packet too...
While Ford fans mightn't like that decision, it allows Ford to remain profitable in the near future....
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
I like it. That would be a cool niche filler in between Falcon sedan and Territory.

The good folk seem to forget the is no large car market as such, but dozens of little segments that make up the market as a whole. Contrarily Holden have the ability to pick the niches mastered.
Old 16-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
I don't like it at all. They look like funeral cars.
Well they always were anyway, if it looks like a hearse, handles like a hearse it probably is a hearse.

Falcon wagons have always been popular as body transporters.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
I like it. That would be a cool niche filler in between Falcon sedan and Territory.

The good folk seem to forget the is no large car market as such, but dozens of little segments that make up the market as a whole. Contrarily Holden have the ability to pick the niches mastered.
Which is why Ford needs to find different niches where the possibility of less competition ans success are better,
take for example Territory against captiva and an existing Mondeo S/W against Sportwagon, a choice in segments
sees Holden import Captiva where Ford imports mondeo Stationwagon... but what happens when Malibu arrives?
Will Malibu add to holden's sales or canabalize from Commodore and Cruze buyers shifting withing Holden's range...

IMO, the real battle begins with new Ranger-Colorado-Hilux and their new SUV variants.
If all three makers get their diesel SUVs right we might see an even bigger swing away from large sedans...
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought they would go the reskinned BF route but knowing the data they had on hand from Commodore sales I wouldnt actually be suprised if they were going a sport wagon route. Looking at Holden with almost 40% of Commodores being wagon there was certainly the market there for a sporty wagon. In fact on pure returns I am sure if they looked at average transaction prices the sporty wagon would look have looked very convincing. They make a killing on them.

When I was shopping for a car I could get brand new XR6 sedans for 31,000 drivaway, the best I could get for a SV6 sportwagon was 41,000 driveaway, thats $10,000 extra cash per vehicle and a big waiting list as they were selling every one they build. I wouldnt be suprised if Ford were seriously considering going down the sport wagon route with all that info.

What I suspect is that the wagon would have therefore been built on the sedan wheelbase but still with a larger cargo area than the Holden to fit LPG gear and to counter act the biggest complaint of the Holden that the cargo area was too small.

Somehow I dont think they were considering a re-skinned BF as they probably would of just done it as its cheap and it gets the volumes up, I am sure if they went this route though it still would have been a full lineup of G6, G6E, XR6 etc.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #19
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
What Ford is concerned about is spending on a wagon only to have it heavily canabalize Falcon sedan sales.
The diesel Mondeo Station wagon saved approx $300M to $400M in development costs wile giving
250-300 sales/mth, now that is what i call getting bang for your buck and still saving a packet too...

The Holden wagon cost 130m and that was tested and designed to expensive US design and crash standards if it was to be sold there. It was also an all-new wagon not based on VZ at all. I suspect a FG wagon simply reskinned BF with a full lineup of variants would have cost 50m to 80m, with a sportwagon costing up to 100m. The Territory cost 500m and that was with its marketing studies, new design, steering, suspensions, body, interior and all wheel drive systems and awd testing around the world. A wagon is a sedan simply with changes to the rear sheet metal, its relatively cheap.
Old 16-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Holdens sportwagon, while it looks good, is pretty small in terms of cargo space. So you end up with a car which weights a bit more then the sedan but isnt really useful??

Putting flame suit on... how about instead of a falcon wagon (which apparently looks like a hearse... or a restyled short body wagon which then everyone says looks like a commodore sportwagon) Ford makes a hatchback type? Anyone good with photoshop?
Since small hatchbacks seem popular with females, would a large family type hatch be a seller?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #21
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

Putting flame suit on... how about instead of a falcon wagon (which apparently looks like a hearse... or a restyled short body wagon which then everyone says looks like a commodore sportwagon) Ford makes a hatchback type? Anyone good with photoshop?
Since small hatchbacks seem popular with females, would a large family type hatch be a seller?

Works for Mondeo! Its actually not a bad idea as it could appeal to both sedan and wagon buyers to an extent but only costs you the development of one bodystyle (if you were to only have one).
Old 16-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #22
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JPD has floated the idea of a Falcon hatch in a couple of threads.

RWD platform with (perhaps poked and prodded) Mondeo top hat, ala what Holden used to do before VE.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #23
smokin df ltd
Starter Motor

wow i think that wagon on its guts with the nice shoes would come up real nice, id own one if they did a xr8 version
smokin df ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #24
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huge shame the wagon was dropped, never really realised how useful trade tools they can be since owning the BA wagon. And it just goes to show by the amount of them I see driving around, bottoms dragging on the floor, ladders stacked on the roof with boots full of tools. Would have loved a FG wagon, liquid injected gas 6 speed auto. And to Ford, after owning a wagon there is no way in hell I would upgrade to a territory, different type of vehicle for what I need in my opinion.
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Huge shame the wagon was dropped, never really realised how useful trade tools they can be since owning the BA wagon. And it just goes to show by the amount of them I see driving around, bottoms dragging on the floor, ladders stacked on the roof with boots full of tools. Would have loved a FG wagon, liquid injected gas 6 speed auto. And to Ford, after owning a wagon there is no way in hell I would upgrade to a territory, different type of vehicle for what I need in my opinion.
Not many cars where you can lay the front passenger seat down and the rear seat down and put 3m lengths of timber, pipe, or ladders!
And still be as comfortable as a sedan....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Works for Mondeo! Its actually not a bad idea as it could appeal to both sedan and wagon buyers to an extent but only costs you the development of one bodystyle (if you were to only have one).
What is wrong with mondeo wagon?

It is big enough, goes well enough, is cheap enough and already exists.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What is wrong with mondeo wagon?

It is big enough, goes well enough, is cheap enough and already exists.
FWD flappy....

bogans like me still yearn for a grunty RWD wagon.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #28
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Why wouldn't you consider a Territory? I have bought a Territory for work duties and craps on all the wagons I have owned (last one being an AU) Serious question as I find access, size, towing capabilities seating, driving position, loadability etc etc way better than any wagon I have had ..... and especially for the price. Now there is a diesel on offer it starts to make more sense.

Don't know why the Terri is bi passed as a useful wagon alternative (or the Mondeo for that matter) especially if its for the C'dore wagon which IMO isn't a wagon at all, especially compared to what they were originally designed for. Might look good but is more of a sports hatch than a wagon which is useless as a true wagon.

Just find it funny that so many here poo poo the Terri as an alternative especially when I would hazard a guess, they have not owned one. Many that do buy it do think it is a way better alternative to a wagon. I don't see it as being in the 4WD class ...... that belongs to anything with a low range gear and lockable hubbs for starter. Not considering a Territory 'just because' is a bit naive .....

The alternative would have been ..... make an FG wagon and drop the Terri? If I was Ford I definitely wouldn't be doing that. If there was people buying enough of them in the first place (NEW!!!!!) ...... well they would still be around wouldn't they?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
FWD flappy....

Which is why, test drive going well, we will be getting a CRD 300C wagon next. The terry is nice but in my price range its not great on fuel. 300C looks sweet, RWD, and is a nice daily cruiser. I dont care that it handles like a boat, I want ride comfort when it comes to something to kart the kids around in.

I do like what Holden have done with their wagon, I wouldnt buy one but I applaud their decision. Thats the difference between the companies currently, Holden to date have had the guts to go with what they think the consumers want.

As for Fords situation, do fleets get good deals on the TDi TX? I assume thats what most would be looking at.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
FWD flappy....

Yes but bogans seldom buy new cars and that is all Ford make.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post