Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-10-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
fordxrtfan

Default Lucky To Be Alive

Yesterday, I have to say was the worst day of my life.
I was sitting in my car waiting for my 13yr old son to get off his school bus. I was approx 30m away on the other side of the road, when all of a sudden he ran across the road without looking both ways (he only looked to his right) and bang!
It was my worst nightmare, I heard the thump and say him fly into the air to land on the bonnet, well I was off running and screaming etc by the time I got there he had picked himself up and apologised to the driver (who then drove away) and was just standing there.
Unbelievably he only has bruises - no broken bones or blood
I was in worst shock than him, and I thanked God that he was OK. None of the 60 plus witnesses could believe their eyes either that he had no major injuries, considering he left a dent in the front of the car and the bonnet.
I still havent found out what type of car it was and yes we have given my son a huge lecture about danger etc
He is one lucky boy

Winter White
6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Side Airbags, Bluetooth, DVD Satellite Navigation, Reverse Parking Sensor, Ipod/MP3 kit, Tinted windows, Brembos, Enkei RPO3 wheels
Phase 3 kit, installed & tuned by Autotech 332rwkw
!!FOR SALE!!
fordxrtfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Buy lottery tickets! Glad your son is safe.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

A very lucky boy !. Makes me wonder why they ever stoped playing that add on tv years ago ????....... " Stop at the kerb (stop at the kerb), look to ya right ( look to ya right ) , look to ya left ( look to ya left ), then look to ya right again. Then when the road is clear of traffic , walk straight accross the road - dont run ! - walk straight accross the road"...... It sure stuck into my head and taught me to check properly before walking onto a road

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

He'll never do that again!! A good lesson learnt. I am glad that he is OK. Did you take to the hospital for a check up?? Just in case.
Old 26-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
A very lucky boy !. Makes me wonder why they ever stoped playing that add on tv years ago ????....... " Stop at the kerb (stop at the kerb), look to ya right ( look to ya right ) , look to ya left ( look to ya left ), then look to ya right again. Then when the road is clear of traffic , walk straight accross the road - dont run ! - walk straight accross the road"...... It sure stuck into my head and taught me to check properly before walking onto a road
Hector the cat.

Glad to hear he is ok, a very lucky boy.
How many "nerve calmers" did you drink when you got home?
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
fordxrtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
He'll never do that again!! A good lesson learnt. I am glad that he is OK. Did you take to the hospital for a check up?? Just in case.
No didnt go to hospital but had someone look over him. I was in worst shock than him, I was shaking that bad I couldnt even standup properly.

He actually went to school today (just to tell all his mates I think) and we rang the school to tell them to keep an eye out for him

Winter White
6 Speed Manual, Sunroof, Premium Audio System, Side Airbags, Bluetooth, DVD Satellite Navigation, Reverse Parking Sensor, Ipod/MP3 kit, Tinted windows, Brembos, Enkei RPO3 wheels
!!FOR SALE!!
Old 26-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

There's an urban myth that one of the guys who played Hector the Cat got run over...
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #8
aye you
The Origional, The Best

holy !!! that is astounding that he didn't get hurt. a word of advice keep an eye on him for a few days, as internal injuries and shock can take 2 or 3 days to really become apparent, and it'll hit hard if it does. Chances are his fine but just a word of caution
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woah that sounds like a close call. Good to here he's ok.

so the guy just drove off without getting your insurance lol???
Old 26-10-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very, very lucky! It reminded me of something I did more than 40years ago when I was about 6 years old back in Belfast, Northern Ireland, (don't start the Irish jokes!) My mum was taking us to school and I ran ahead. I just kept running and ran straight across Bloomfield Road, a 4-lane main road. There were cars braking like crazy. When I made it to the other side, the lollipop man gave me a good talking to and my mum, well, she almost fainted. I'm real glad to hear the young fellow made it through and has lived to talk about it.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 05:34 PM   #11
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Great to hear, I was dreading the worst the more I read.
Not to lecture, but it will be easy to meet your son at the bus door as he alights from now on, won't it!

You don't need to buy a lotto ticket, You are a winner already!

Mike
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you know what sort of car it was?
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #13
red_hotxr6
Banned

Wow, thank god he is safe, i couldnt imagine if that was my son....he is so lucky and blessed...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
fordxrtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
do you know what sort of car it was?
No even with all the witnesses, no-one can remember what make it was.

Yes bought a lottery ticket today but have to agree, I am blessed that he is OK and alive. Believe me as I was running up the street I was thinking the worst.

We have also approached our local member in regard to petitioning or whatever we have to do, to get a crossing in there as where the accident happened is the main bus interchange for 3 local towns and about 20 odd schools, so a lot of kids go through there

Winter White
!!FOR SALE!!
Old 26-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #15
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Very good point- if the govt were serious about the pedestrian deaths they would be pushing these ads as well as the 40/km zones for the drivers. I know when I was a kid these ads were played flat out, and they stuck!
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 09:54 PM   #16
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Very good point- if the govt were serious about the pedestrian deaths they would be pushing these ads as well as the 40/km zones for the drivers. I know when I was a kid these ads were played flat out, and they stuck!
Dead right. I'm in my 40's and can still remember Hector the cat, i'll go one further and say he had blue and yellow horizontal bands.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2007, 09:55 PM   #17
boss-290

Perhaps it was that 40km/h speed limit that saved the boy's life.

Glad to hear he is safe and well.
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 12:57 AM   #18
fmc351
let it burn

*shudders. Thats the most amazing and frightening thing Ive read in a while.

Bring back Hector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Dont be so sure. Mate of mine was driving past a bus and some 16 yr old ran out from in front of the bus without looking. My mate hit him at a short skid shy of 60 and sent the kid up the windscreen and over the roof of his VK. While were waiting for the ambo, the kids dad shows up and with sheer exasperation shrieks at the kid "thats the third time" while fighting tears the poor bugger. The kids OK, leg broken is all but holy crap. His dad didnt know whether to hold him or strangle him.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 01:08 AM   #19
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordxrtfan
Yesterday, I have to say was the worst day of my life.
I was sitting in my car waiting for my 13yr old son to get off his school bus. I was approx 30m away on the other side of the road, when all of a sudden he ran across the road without looking both ways (he only looked to his right) and bang!
It was my worst nightmare, I heard the thump and say him fly into the air to land on the bonnet, well I was off running and screaming etc by the time I got there he had picked himself up and apologised to the driver (who then drove away) and was just standing there.
Unbelievably he only has bruises - no broken bones or blood
I was in worst shock than him, and I thanked God that he was OK. None of the 60 plus witnesses could believe their eyes either that he had no major injuries, considering he left a dent in the front of the car and the bonnet.
I still havent found out what type of car it was and yes we have given my son a huge lecture about danger etc
He is one lucky boy
Holy smoke.
My uncle had a similar experience at 8 years of age.
He actually got totally run over by a car and got up without a bruise.

The good lord's got great plans for your boy no doubt
It's wonderful to know he's ok.
Old 27-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #20
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

I did a similar-ish thing when I was 15. I rode across the road on my bike without checking and was collected from behind by a car. I flew back onto the bonnet of the car and broke their windscreen with my head. One of the only times I wasn't wearing my helmet either.

The result? Two small cracks to the skull and I permanently lost my sense of smell (and yes I can still taste. Yes I know they are linked and its strange). However, I had a natural fear of crossing roads and cars for a while
Old 27-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #21
fordxrtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
*His dad didnt know whether to hold him or strangle him.
I was like that, I didnt know what to do first, yell at him or what!

I have to agree about the comments on Hector the Cat - that saying "Look to the right Look to the left and look to the right again" has always stuck with me

Winter White
!!FOR SALE!!
Old 27-10-2007, 10:43 PM   #22
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordxrtfan
I have to agree about the comments on Hector the Cat - that saying "Look to the right Look to the left and look to the right again" has always stuck with me
Exactly right , it was only a couple of days ago I put the exact same "slogan" in a thread . (I should have looked it up on search)

I am so glad your young fellow is Ok , I've got a 15 y/o myself . Younger teenagers are a worry , as are the older ones .

Norm

PS changing my Sig Right Now .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"

Last edited by normxb; 27-10-2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Added text
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm only 24 so I don't remember the actual Hector the Cat commercial thingy, but when I was in Kindergarten we used to walk around the corner to the library once a week. We had to cross the driveway for the library and council carpark. Before crossing, our teacher would always sing this song and though I do not remember the words, the general joust of it was to look both ways and walk, don't run (or you might end up flat on your bottom). Funny how some things stick with you...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #24
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
The good lord's got great plans for your boy no doubt
It's wonderful to know he's ok.
Ditto. Thank God he's ok.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #25
ingall9

Firstly as a father i wouldnt want to see that happen to my son, thank god he is alright.

But hasnt the guy who drove off committed a crime? Isnt that hit and run? Sure the boy ran out in front of him, but i dont think he is allowed to drive off, even if the boy is ok. Was it reported to the police?
ingall9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2007, 03:54 PM   #26
gtfpv
GT

13 years old !!!! thanks for posting this . it will remind me not to become complacent with my younger children .
i'm so glad he is ok mate
PS . don't buy lottery tickets . you've already had your luck .

watch for post traumatic stress, in both you and your son . and possibly other family members . take care
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #27
fordxrtfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingall9
Firstly as a father i wouldnt want to see that happen to my son, thank god he is alright.

But hasnt the guy who drove off committed a crime? Isnt that hit and run? Sure the boy ran out in front of him, but i dont think he is allowed to drive off, even if the boy is ok. Was it reported to the police?
Dont really know the legalities, I did ring police and report it, and they wanted to know why I was reporting it. I told them because it is such a busy student/children area and I dont want to see it happen to anyone else and this way they can have it on record that it did happen to my son.

Winter White
!!FOR SALE!!
Old 30-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #28
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Mate....as a father of 2 i reckon that would be 1 of THE worst things to witness. Thank god he's ok.
Glad a report was made to police. Technically a hit and run. And as mentioned earlier , post trauma can be an issue. Especially for you. Cheers

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post