Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Hennessy Ford Focus RS 405BHP !!!

"It’s called the ‘HPE400’, and as the name sort-of suggests, will come with 405bhp. This, hot hatch fans, is a Hennessey Performance tuned Ford Focus RS.

Yup, the American tuner - responsible for the Venom, numerous Mustangs and Corvettes and Vipers and even the Honda NSX - has turned his hand to the year’s hottest hot hatch (and Top Gear’s Car of the Year 2016).

At this early stage, we’ve only been given a few preliminary details. Things like a new engine management system, high flow air filter, stainless steel exhaust with an electronic dump valve, and lots of Hennessey badging. That little lot all adds up to the aforementioned 405bhp (up from 345bhp) and a whopping 425lb ft of torque. No word on performance timing, but for your Internet forum biddings, the standard Focus RS will go from 0-62mph in 4.7s and run on to a top speed of 165mph. Plenty, in any case. This new version - assuming you can get those manual gearchanges right - should make it even quicker.

There’s also the promise of deeper upgrades coming in the future for the RS; stuff like new induction systems, intercoolers, better exhausts, upgrades to the turbo, wheels and even the tyres.

Ford’s official tuner of course - that’s Mountune - already offers an upgrade to the RS that hits 370bhp and drops the 0-62mph time down to 4.5s. Would either of these packs tempt you? Or is the ‘standard’, 345bhp Focus RS swift enough out of the box?

While you deliberate on such an important matter, have a watch of the video below. It’s a TG drag race between the Focus RS, Mercedes-AMG A45 and Volkswagen Golf R…" http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot-...-ford-focus-rs
Old 04-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Hennessy Ford Focus RS 405BHP !!!

I wonder if the upcoming 9 speed auto will be used in that, and if it will reduce acceleration times even further.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Sioso
irregular member

Has a Focus RS ever achieved a 4.7 in Aus?
I've seen two reviews, one got 0-100km/h in 5.4 and the other was 5.7.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Nice drag race between the Focus RS and a Mustang 5.0

Focus did 4.7sec to 96kph

http://www.topgear.com/videos/top-ge...-ford-focus-rs

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #5
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Launch control or not throw a manual into the mix and times will be all over the place (never mind conditions etc). Anyway sounds like Hennessy isn't really reaching much beyond tune only cars and the price tag is stratospheric. More money in the badges than the content perhaps.

With Hennessy's rep in the US these days not sure how much it means anyway.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
adz137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Not on Australian soil i'm yet to see someone get under 5 seconds to 100 in the RS the best recorded time so far has been 5.2 sec and that was with launch control (see article below). It was interesting to see the STi reach 100 in the same time (5.2 sec) while the Golf R was the quickest with 4.9 sec.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-revi...mparison-44121
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #7
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

"While some enthusiasts turn up their noses at anything other than a stick shift, the reality is twin-clutch gearboxes are better at getting the most out of a performance car"

The unfortunate truth. The test was also unusually done with the Super Sports in lieu of the Cup 2's. The 4.7 can be had, but unlike the Golf there are a list of conditions. I know a couple of lovely fellows run around chest beating with their 'R's and quite rightly, but it takes no talent or skill on their part to make them go fast, they just push the pedal and take their 130kg weight advantage and right foot for a ego rub. I'm sure a well driven STi could also improve, love the look of those things and they're nice and nasty in a old school way Uncivilized = more fun for some.

Lot of credit to the auto R though, it's consistent as buggery.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Holty
Starter Motor

👍 well done
Holty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 01:48 PM   #9
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Launch control or not throw a manual into the mix and times will be all over the place (never mind conditions etc). Anyway sounds like Hennessy isn't really reaching much beyond tune only cars and the price tag is stratospheric. More money in the badges than the content perhaps.

With Hennessy's rep in the US these days not sure how much it means anyway.
It will be interesting to see where this goes.

I saw a show on the building of the RS and they had some fairly sizable problems reaching 250kw. They got there eventually (obviously) but they blew up there fair share of motors in the process. It also took 6 months to sort out with Ford Racing running the show.

I'm not convinced these motors have a whole lot of headroom.
Time will tell.

The show was on BeiN sports on Foxtel, well worth a look and Foxtel will replay it at some point, no doubt.

PS. I wouldn't touch Hennessy with a 40ft barge pole after reading some of his threatening rants on the internet.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #10
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Yeah missed that show and couldn't find a copy anyplace, only seen the youtube content. Hint hint to anyone that may know where it can be streamed or something.

Looking at content on the net may be hard to find one in the future that HASN'T been tuned. If something's going to break shouldn't be too long until it's found.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #11
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't find it anywhere, sorry.

I've got it recorded on my Foxtel box but I wouldn't have a clue how to get it off.

XC Cobra #181.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:09 AM   #12
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Yeah missed that show and couldn't find a copy anyplace, only seen the youtube content. Hint hint to anyone that may know where it can be streamed or something.

Looking at content on the net may be hard to find one in the future that HASN'T been tuned. If something's going to break shouldn't be too long until it's found.
I might have had some luck finding this show.

Try here.
http://fordauthority.com/2016/04/foc...r-this-friday/

Or my google search.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=ford+f...oples+supercar

I'm not up with all this internet tv stuff, but hopefully this can be of help to someone. It was a great show.

XC Cobra #181.