Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
vbomber

Default VACC or RACV for vehicle inspection

Hello, I just put down a deposit for a 2000 AU Futura with 119,000km's, was a CFA car, took it for a test drive nothing wrong, transmission perfect, no leaks, only issues were exhaust but that will be changed for the RWC and the air con will be regassed, anyway just want to do a Inspection on it, I was originally going to get RACV to do it but the salesmen said the VACC service was better but the only information I could find about VACC test was this number 1800 044 555. Any thoughts on what test I should do.

vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

I had a car inspected by RACV and the front disc were under size which they did not find. So I would steer clear of RACV. VACC is a better option but again all you need to be is a qualified mechanic and pay a yearly fee to be authorized. Like a MCSE in Microsoft world any one can get one. Saying that VACC have a website with all there paying members.

I guess the rule of thumb is when buying a car expect to find a few problems after you buy it. if you don't great but if you do no loss. I use the rule spend years in percentage of it's value after buying the car. 10 year old car you will spend 10% on it.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
vbomber

Thanks, I know I will need to spend money to fix issues just want to know what I will need to monitor, the dealer said VACC take it to ABS to get it inspected so it isn't some dodgy private mechanic
Old 27-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Many years ago when I bought my first good car I requested a RACV inspection. The dealer talked me into a VACC inspection which I regretted as it was done by the dealer who was a VACC member, also discovered later it had oil consumption problems. The previous owner confirmed they also had the problem, so it was definitely there at the time of sale.

Never again a VACC inspection.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
vbomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Many years ago when I bought my first good car I requested a RACV inspection. The dealer talked me into a VACC inspection which I regretted as it was done by the dealer who was a VACC member, also discovered later it had oil consumption problems. The previous owner confirmed they also had the problem, so it was definitely there at the time of sale.

Thats what my dad thinks, will get his mate to do the "test" on the car
Old 27-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

The mechanic and the dealer might have had an agreement going on - dealer sends inspections his way in return for the mechanic overlooking issues. I would trust the RACV more. It's the VACC who are always pushing for compulsory annual inspections, with the RACV against.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPcoupe
Like a MCSE in Microsoft world any one can get one.
Minesweeper Consultant, Solitaire Expert?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
vbomber

My dad is saying it is a waste of time, while other say do it, is it worth doing even if the car is at a dealer, i would have defintely done it if I bought privately.