Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #1
Sprint XR8

Default Toyota Reportedly Down To $18.5 Billion In Cash, Same Level As Ford.

The cash burn rate through 2008 at General Motors, Chrysler and, to a lesser degree, Ford, has been one of the big new stories in the auto business. After a disastrous third quarter, GM was down to about $11 billion and, along with Chrysler, was in danger of having insufficient cash on hand to pay bills at the end of the year.

Meanwhile, Toyota has been raking in the profits for ages now and was thought to have up to $90 billion in reserves as recently as a couple of years ago. The other day, however, John McElroy reported that Toyota may be down to only $18.5 billion in cash with rapidly spiraling debts.

The company has spent heavily on new factories and new products in the U.S. in recent years, but saw its sales plummet as much as the domestics in the second half of 2008. Its total current short-term liabilities are now roughly equal to its total current assets, and its cash reserves put the company on par with Ford. In recent months, Toyota has been moving aggressively to cut costs and budgets have been slashed company wide. The automaker famous for avoiding layoffs was also reportedly considering shedding some jobs in the U.S. and UK, but had denied those reports are true.
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/26/t...llion-in-cash/

Toyota’s Weakening Financials

Toyota used to be in such a strong financial position that it earned the nickname the Bank of Toyota. That description no longer replies. Also, many industry observers are under the mistaken impression that Toyota has no corporate debt. That doesn’t apply anymore, either.As part of its ambitious global expansion efforts, Toyota’s borrowing and have debt load more than doubled over the last decade. In 2000 Toyota’s current liabilities* totaled ¥5.5 trillion, right now that stands at ¥12.4 trillion.

Although the company still has a solid balance sheet, it’s not as solid as it used to be. Moreover, the company is projecting it will lose money in the current fiscal year, something that has never happened before in its history.

This helps explain why Toyota is taking drastic action in the face of the current economic downturn, such as temporarily shutting down all of its manufacturing facilities in Japan. Now, even Toyota has to worry about how much cash it has on hand.

In its most recent financial report, Toyota states that it has ¥1.8 trillion in cash, which is roughly $18.5 billion, or about the same level of cash Ford reported in its most recent financial statement.

More tellingly, Toyotas total current liabilities (short term) now match its total current assets. In the past, Toyota’s current assets always exceeded its current liabilities. When a company’s liabilities exceed its assets, it has to dip into its cash reserves to make up the difference-unless its operations are generating positive cash flow. But right now Toyota is not generating positive cash flow.

This is the same situation that the Big Three found themselves in some years back, but failed to address. Toyota is obviously attacking the problem head-on. But it’s surprising to see how close the company has come to the edge of the cliff.

* current liabilities include: borrowing, long-term debt payments, accounts payable and accrued expenses.
http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/journal/?p=2431#more-2431

Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 12:19 AM   #2
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I must say that I find that surprising, the way the media usually carry on most people would think Ford we're teetering over the edge, while Toyota has hundreds of billions. Refreshing to hear the raw facts for once.
Old 28-01-2009, 01:15 AM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

also proves no one is safe...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Well luckily we have the experience of the Big3 to know exactly what went wrong. Obviously, Toyota has been building vehicles that people don't want, and gas guzzlers. They've managed their company into the ground and pay their employees too much. HOW ELSE COULD THEY BE IN THE SAME BOAT AS FORD?????!!!!!!

Yeah, that's some serious sarcasm, but it makes me sick.

Let's see how much coverage this gets in the mainstream news. It sure is big news when Ford, GM, or Chrysler have the exact same situation. This is the first I have heard of this and I bet it will be a while before I hear about it on my local news or in a newspaper, where it will be a single paragraph buried on page 9.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do remember though that Ford has been riding on the wave of the sales of capital assets; namely Jaguar, Land Rover and Aston Martin, which they appeared to have exited at just at the right time.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Ford still have a long way to go for improvements, which compared to Toyota is good.
Ford can still improve their efficiency of their product development and the product itself. Toyota however are at the peak of efficiency, they are the benchmark, where to for them now?
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
This is the first I have heard of this and I bet it will be a while before I hear about it on my local news or in a newspaper
Steve
Well Steve here is the next installment!

Cheers Bud Bud.

Quote:
Japanese automakers will cut 25,000 jobs,slash output
28/1/09:

Japan's top 12 automakers expect to cut a total of 25,000 jobs in the current business year to March to cope with the industry slump, a survey said Monday.
The companies plan to reduce their combined production by at least three million vehicles from their original target for this year, according to figures compiled by Jiji Press.
Toyota accounts for about half of the reduced output, with a plan to make 1.5 million fewer vehicles, Jiji said.
The companies may announce further cuts to jobs and production before the end of the fiscal year as the recession deepens, it added.
Japanese automakers have been hit hard by weak demand due to the global economic crisis, despite being in better shape than the US Big Three -- Ford, Chrysler and General Motors -- which were forced to seek emergency aid from Washington.

Source: AAP NewsWire
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud

Cheers Bud Bud.
"Japanese automakers have been hit hard by weak demand due to the global economic crisis, despite being in better shape than the US Big Three -- Ford, Chrysler and General Motors -- which were forced to seek emergency aid from Washington."

And, still the media get it wrong. AAP Newswire (a worldwide newsource) continue to perpetuate the falsehood that Ford sought emergency aid...

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Out of curiosity is there any way to tell how other manufacturers are going financially???

From the last year, and from what I have just seen on the roads in Korea it is fair to say that Toyota's biggest threat is Hyundai / Kia.

Any info of how the Koreans are fairing financially? I know that Ssangyong is in strife but what about the other 2?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well luckily we have the experience of the Big3 to know exactly what went wrong. Obviously, Toyota has been building vehicles that people don't want, and gas guzzlers. They've managed their company into the ground and pay their employees too much.
The Big3 went backwards during boom times.... big difference. If the US wasnt bailing the Big3 out (its only a matter of time til Ford need help), they'd be dead in the water.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Out of curiosity is there any way to tell how other manufacturers are going financially???

From the last year, and from what I have just seen on the roads in Korea it is fair to say that Toyota's biggest threat is Hyundai / Kia.

Any info of how the Koreans are fairing financially? I know that Ssangyong is in strife but what about the other 2?
They should release annual reports if they are publicly listed. I know Ford does quarterly reports so i'd take it the rest do as well.
Old 28-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
The Big3 went backwards during boom times.... big difference. If the US wasnt bailing the Big3 out (its only a matter of time til Ford need help), they'd be dead in the water.
Actually of the Big 3, Ford are the only ones who really don't "Need" the package..

Since Mulley has been at the helm they have really been turning themselves around.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 05:37 AM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Ford still have a long way to go for improvements, which compared to Toyota is good.
Ford can still improve their efficiency of their product development and the product itself. Toyota however are at the peak of efficiency, they are the benchmark, where to for them now?

That is a very good point. Yes, Ford has benchmarked Toyota for years. Now that Ford's quality is equal to and in some cases surpasses Toyota's quality Ford is working to BE the benchmark for quality.

Toyota's efficiency is excellent but as they approached sales volumes equal to what GM was once at they started learning the new problems that arise when an auto company gets that big. Toyota started having quality problems they didn't have before and recalls in volumes they never had before. Even Toyota could not maintain previously achieved quality levels when producing such volumes. It is a difficult task.

Now, because of the global economy and market conditions, they will have to size themselves to match the market size, just like the Big3 have done. They have invested heavily in financing new plants in the US including one that they have ceased construction of that is to build the Prius in the US. This, along with massive sales drop, is why they are financially stretched.

Very few cars are selling, period. It will be interesting to see what kind of repercussions come from lay-offs since it will cause a loss of face.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 29-01-2009, 05:39 AM   #14
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:

Cheers Bud Bud.

AAP? I am not familiar with them.

AP = Associate Press, them I am familiar with.

I agree, lumping in Ford with the others that have taken financial aid. I confronted a "journalist" about an inaccurate statement he made and he responded by splitting hairs. I pointed that out to him and he never wrote back.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 29-01-2009, 05:46 AM   #15
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son

As stated in that post, it was sarcasm.

Yes, you are correct in your statement, that the Big3 were not making money while sales were good. That was a result of putting all their eggs in one basket, trucks and SUV's that were highly profitable and then didn't have profitable product when trucks and SUV's fell out of favor.

Ford has been investing heavily in new product and recreating themselves as an auto company. They are hitting the ground running with new innovative products that are very attractive so that when the economy turns around Ford will be at the forefront of the buyer's stops.

as far as Ford being "dead in the water", if things begin to pick up in the second half of this year I don't see Ford needing any assistance. If the economy drags on or worsens, yes, I believe they will need assistance.

Toyota is at the top of their game. What can they do? "Right-size" is their only option at the moment.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 29-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #16
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AAP? I am not familiar with them.

AP = Associate Press, them I am familiar with.

I agree, lumping in Ford with the others that have taken financial aid. I confronted a "journalist" about an inaccurate statement he made and he responded by splitting hairs. I pointed that out to him and he never wrote back.

Steve
Steve, AAP Stands for "Australian Associated Press" www.aap.com.au
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #17
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just read that Toyota has recalled 1.35million yaris around the world. For faulty seatbelts and exhaust. They have slowly been having more and more recalls. This will hurt them

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fishingdogs
Just read that Toyota has recalled 1.35million yaris around the world. For faulty seatbelts and exhaust. They have slowly been having more and more recalls. This will hurt them
do you know what build years that recall is for?

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #19
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Steve, AAP Stands for "Australian Associated Press" www.aap.com.au

Thank you, from the "down-under challenged".

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 29-01-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JutroXR8
do you know what build years that recall is for?

According to a link in another topic all 2006 and 07 cars.

From my previous post, almost prophetically.....

Quote:
....but as they approached sales volumes equal to what GM was once at they started learning the new problems that arise when an auto company gets that big. Toyota started having quality problems they didn't have before and recalls in volumes they never had before.

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 29-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #21
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where is your crystal ball. What are the lotto No's for Saturday night. :

Heres a link to the new report on the Yaris recall

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #22
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

THough I doubt it would happen, I'd be happy as Larry (assuming he was happy) if Toyota disappeared. That is only looking at this superficially, but one must dream.

It would be terrible for the industry though.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #23
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
What are the lotto No's for Saturday night. :

Mine or your's? :

From the above link....

Quote:
Some of the vehicles sold in Japan may also have problems with a pipe in the exhaust system that could crack due to heat, it said.

Now who would have thought to account for heat in an exhaust pipe???? :evil3:

Steve

Wife's 1966 Mustang

and more!
Old 29-01-2009, 07:07 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Actually of the Big 3, Ford are the only ones who really don't "Need" the package..

Since Mulley has been at the helm they have really been turning themselves around.

He really has done a good job.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #25
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
... where to for them now?
The only other way for them possible... down...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Toyota got so big so quickly that they couldn't even find enough engineers to fill positions, so corners end up getting cut. Its coming back to bite them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post