Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Default Series II LT4 Camaro

Whats are people's thoughts on the camaro now that they have opted for us to get the LT4 SC 6.2L?? I think the first run should have had them but yeah, definately time for some factory charged ponies or hellcats here down under??

https://hsv.com.au/see/camaro/
2 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Series II LT4 Camaro

I think that buyers are gonna have to swallow hard when they see the price...
Australian Camaro ZL1 pricing starts at $159,990

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/hsv...-zl1-australia

Hopefully this will urge Ford to do a complete factory backed S/C Mustang
with the good Performance Pack 2 Suspension/ tyre upgrade.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #3
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Wish Tickford would do RHD conversions of the GT500 just like HSV does. Considering we won't get factory RHD ones.

The MY19 SS is laughable though. What a ridiculous facelift they have done. And those taillights

ZL1 looks much better. Rocketship.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

160K ouch! Didnt see that bit haha! So the first gen may be better then add in a Herrod/KPm or similar charger package. Then go to Europe for a family holiday with the change.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

MY19 2SS looks like they stuck the badge in the wrong place...
Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Sioso
irregular member

LCT will be close to $30K.
$200K for a Camaro is a big ask.
I'll pass.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM   #7
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
MY19 2SS looks like they stuck the badge in the wrong place...
Fixed that for you
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I like it, good for the mid life crisis, comb over crew.
Are we heading towards another muscle car scare ? and Dodge ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

I know of a couple Demons here in Adelaide now, but they are all being kept in LHD and waiting for these new rules to come in to give them an exemption as less than 300 units built. Well under 200K (AUD) landed apparently.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:57 PM   #10
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dash board on that thing is absolutely hideous and belongs on a Lada.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Wish Tickford would do RHD conversions of the GT500 just like HSV does. Considering we won't get factory RHD ones..
From your lips to god's ears, I hope so. It would be a way for Ford to be involved
without huge commitment, just supply most of the RHD bits as a kit form the factory..
Old 01-03-2019, 11:11 PM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will sell even for $160k. I actually like the updates and both being offered with manual is good news.

I like the halo rear lights.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

will be interesting to see if they disconnect the line locker like we had to
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone have sales numbers for HSV Camaro over the last few months?
Old 02-03-2019, 12:24 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I think that buyers are gonna have to swallow hard when they see the price...
Australian Camaro ZL1 pricing starts at $159,990

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/hsv...-zl1-australia

Hopefully this will urge Ford to do a complete factory backed S/C Mustang
with the good Performance Pack 2 Suspension/ tyre upgrade.
Its around the price price as Mercedes AMG C63, there are a lot of those on our roads so I don't see its price to be an issue.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2019, 07:54 PM   #16
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Its around the price price as Mercedes AMG C63, there are a lot of those on our roads so I don't see its price to be an issue.
Is the C63 a basterdised left hooker
2 users like this post:
Old 02-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
So what - it's done by HSV which is an OEM second stage manufacturer and it's an iconic car with heritage from General Motors, it's not done by someone on AFF in their backyard.

The early 00s Mustang was a 'bastardised left hooker' converted by Tickford that sold for $75K back nearly 20 god damn years ago when HSV and Tickford were in full force and you had local cheaper options.

I'm probably not at liberty to discuss the amount of orders they have but it's significant for their 'bastardised left hookers'

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-03-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #18
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
So what - it's done by HSV which is an OEM second stage manufacturer and it's an iconic car with heritage from General Motors, it's not done by someone on AFF in their backyard.

The early 00s Mustang was a 'bastardised left hooker' converted by Tickford that sold for $75K back nearly 20 god damn years ago when HSV and Tickford were in full force and you had local cheaper options.

I'm probably not at liberty to discuss the amount of orders they have but it's significant for their 'bastardised left hookers'
Agreed. It is a factory engineered conversion and so was the Tickford Mustang. Calling them "bastardised" is ignorant.
Bill.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
I think you'll find its far from basterdised

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lots of good info.

Quote:
https://www.goauto.com.au/news/hsv/h...-01/77822.html

Speaking exclusively to GoAuto, HSV marketing general manager Damon Paull said the brand was hoping to sell approximately 2500 units in 2019, across its three-model portfolio.

“It’s probably best to talk to you in our volume estimates on an annual basis, and most of our business model plans are anything between 500 and 1000 units a year across all models – per model,” he said.

We see potential of up to 1000 a year with the Camaro range, probably 500-750 with the Silverado range in the near term, SportsCat upwards of 1000 per year.

The Camaro, which arrived in Australia in September, sold around 550 units by the end of 2018, however the updated MY19 model, which also broke cover last year, has just been announced by HSV to be coming to Australia beginning in March.

Quote:
The decision to bring the MY19 model to Australia was previously up in the air due to the potential cost of modifying the re-engineering program, which cost more than $10 million for the MY18 program and will incur an extra cost with the changes to the MY19.
Quote:
Despite sitting well upmarket of the 2SS at $159,990 plus on-roads for the six-speed manual and $162,190 for the ten-speed auto, Mr Paull anticipated demand for the ZL1 to be high.

ZL1 availability will be super tight, and we’re talking around 300 vehicles (for 2019),” he said. “In total we’ve done 550 (2SS Camaros) in model year 18.”

He anticipated the 2SS will still be more popular for sales, given more will be made available.
Quote:
The rest of its sales will come from the converted Silverado full-size pick-up, which ranges in price from the tradie-oriented 2500WT at $114,990 plus on-roads, up to the heavy-duty 3500HD at $147,990, which completed the range when it arrived locally late last year.

When the Silverado range launched in July, all 700 examples of its 2018 stock allocation were quickly snapped up by local dealers as the full-size pick-up segment grows in popularity Down Under.

HSV’s right-hand-drive conversion facility also re-engineers the Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 which are then sold locally through importer and distributor Ateco Automotive, which recorded 723 combined sales in 2018.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #21
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you think the 550 Camaros would have been done entirely based on orders, or on anticipated demand?

I'm wary of putting too much faith on sales projections based on dealer demand... dealers stocked up on ZBs and we know how that played out.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2019, 08:57 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Do you think the 550 Camaros would have been done entirely based on orders, or on anticipated demand?
Orders with deposits before the cars were imported.
This is not HSV's first rodeo, I think they have a good handle on the import and convert business plan,
with respect to how many of each model they can sell year on year and whole of life project costs.

Quote:
I'm wary of putting too much faith on sales projections based on dealer demand... dealers stocked up on ZBs and we know how that played out.
Short answer" Holden can't count, they stuffed up and then rammed them down dealers' throats.
Dealers were warning Holden early last year that there was little interest in ZB from buyers
Old 03-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #23
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Agreed. It is a factory engineered conversion and so was the Tickford Mustang. Calling them "bastardised" is ignorant.
Bill.
It's not ignorant, it's my opinion that a vehicle that began life as a LHD and is deconstructed and reassembled as a RHD will not hold it's value as well and could potentially be less reliable not to mention more expensive. Thousand of people share this view and when they import their Camaro, Challenger or Mustang they keep them LHD rather than convert them to RHD as it is considered no greater sin than to convert.
I have personally imported a LHD Mustang and a Challenger will be next and I wont be converting that either.
Yep I could have bought a Tickford Mustang but I saved my pennies until I could afford to buy a proper one and thats not intended to offend anyone that did, it is just my view.
I could buy a LHD 2019 2SS tomorrow for about 50% less than a RHD version.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny how some here think the pulling of their dash for a warranty repair is the end of the world yet others seem happy to have the whole car pulled apart and converted whilst paying extra for the privilege.
Although nobody here has actually put their hard earned down on RHD Camaro have they.
Old 03-03-2019, 09:19 PM   #25
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

prices sound about right for what aussies are known to pay.

ME Corvette would likely start with a 3 by the time tax is in, competing with Porsche

Its all about positioning in the market place.

Having the population of the USA does have some advantages (car pricing).

I'm sure the ex-HSV guys have done a Fab job on the right hook, but its still a production Camaro.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2019, 09:21 PM   #26
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am going to be devils advocate and say that the current Mustang, even though is Factory RHD still has LHD items that were not converted. Example Centre Console & Bonnet Release.

My question is to anyone who knows. Which vehicle shows less LHD traits, HSV Camaro or Factory Mustang?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #27
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
I am going to be devils advocate and say that the current Mustang, even though is Factory RHD still has LHD items that were not converted. Example Centre Console & Bonnet Release.

My question is to anyone who knows. Which vehicle shows less LHD traits, HSV Camaro or Factory Mustang?

I’d just about put money on the converted Cameron being more rhd correct than the factory rhd mustang.
Give ford a chance to half *** something and they will. It’s whats most frustrating about being a ford fan haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let's not lose sight of one thing, $68,273 DA in Qld versus $85,990 +ORC
If you're gonna pay near $26K more, you'd want to make sure that everything was changed over properly

Let's not forget that GM took money out of Australia for years but couldn't be bothered doing a RHD car
for the very people that delivered most of those profits to Holden, HSV spends less than FPV did
developing a line of HP Falcons and they have another income stream for the next three or four years.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #29
nstg8a

Quote:
Let's not lose sight of one thing, $68,273 DA in Qld versus $85,990 +ORC

If you're gonna pay near $26K more, you'd want to make sure that everything was changed over properly

Let's not forget that GM took money out of Australia for years but couldn't be bothered doing a RHD car

for the very people that delivered most of those profits to Holden, HSV spends less than FPV did

developing a line of HP Falcons and they have another income stream for the next three or four years.

Even a 70k mustang should have the little things right, especially when it’s factory built in rhd, there’s just no excuse for that.

Things like the handbrake being on the wrong side of the centre console.
Bonnet release
Less power because the stock exhaust fouled on the steering column (or whatever part it was) in rhd form. (Has that been corrected on the current model?)

If these were cheap Chinese cars you would expect oddities like that.
Not what’s being sold as a premium product.

Having said that, I’d still own one quite happily.

nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Even a 70k mustang should have the little things right, especially when it’s factory built in rhd, there’s just no excuse for that.

Things like the handbrake being on the wrong side of the centre console.
Bonnet release
Less power because the stock exhaust fouled on the steering column (or whatever part it was) in rhd form. (Has that been corrected on the current model?)

If these were cheap Chinese cars you would expect oddities like that.
Not what’s being sold as a premium product.

Having said that, I’d still own one quite happily.

Food for thought here,
In the US, the Premium GT and 2SS are pretty close to each other at $40K and US$44K respectively
but lets call them both AUS$60K from Ford/GM but not ORC (registered.)

For $9K, Ford builds the Mustang in RHD and delivers it here for AUS$69K, registered, drive away.
The other mob want to charge GM fans $34K for procuring a RHD Camaro $94K drive away.

I could live with a Handbrake and bonnet release out of place for that difference.

Last edited by jpd80; 04-03-2019 at 12:00 AM.
3 users like this post: