Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Discount Registration in QLD for law abiding road users

Just heard on the news they the QLD Govt is looking at this as an option to reduce accidents. Any opinions?

Edit- i couldnt find any information about it though

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 AM   #2
Berzerkerr
03 XR6T

Sounds like too good of an idea to be true..
Berzerkerr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Does sound alright, but...

Since when does the government decide that they want less money.

It would more likely be - increased registration cost for law breakers.
(Is that not what a fine is, a penalty on breaking the law?)

We all make mistakes... I think this would end up as just another way to increase revenue

-and no, *touch wood* I have not got a fine or even warning yet
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Discount, it'll probably just end up being an extra penalty for those with a speeding fine on the books.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Anything that reduces my $1000pa bill is right by me. It's an interesting incentive and depending on the details I'd have to hope I'm eligable seeing as my last road rules infringement was in April '06.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

I found out about this yesterday as I signed a petition about speed cameras ages ago. Anyway, the bigwigs had a meeting, and I got sent the link to the minutes...

*rummage*

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/vie...%20summary.pdf

And on page 5 of that document: "Recommendation 1 (page 12): The committee recommends that the Queensland Government investigates the benefits of a reward program for speed compliant drivers."

Let's have a think about that for a moment. They're going to reward me for not speeding... does that mean that if I keep my nose clean, I'll get a doggy treat? Let's say my father-in-law (who drives Miss Daisy) keeps out of trouble, yet I speed regularly, but don't get caught. We both get "rewarded". Why should I get rewarded for that?

Note that:

1) They don't suggest what the reward will be
2) They don't suggest how this could work

I don't see it happening unless they put a data-logging GPS in every single car in QLD. Impossible to police, stupid idea, don't waste time with it.

That's just mu opinion though.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its probably unlikely, but it would be nice to see the war against the motorist wane .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

If it was a registration discount for those with a good driving history (no speeding fines, no fines for using mobile phones, no fines for running red lights and no crashes) I would see that as a good thing. As long as it is a discount for good driving, not an excess for a bad driving history.

To be honest, I don't really think it will have any effect though, those that speed do so knowing if they get caught it will cost them a couple of hundred $ in fines, they won't slow down to save 10% on their registration. If money was important to them they would slow down to save the money on fines.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'm still waiting for my rego to be reduced from when the fuel concession was removed. remember that?
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 11:32 AM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QUEENSLAND motorists could be offered discounts on their car registration in an effort to entice them to obey speed limits.

A parliamentary inquiry into the use of fixed speed cameras has recommended looking at rewarding motorists who have not been caught speeding, to encourage drivers to change their attitudes on the roads.

Between 20 and 50 per cent of motorists have admitted to regularly disobeying speed limits, with more than 44,000 fines handed out from fixed speed cameras last year.

The inquiry found that giving incentives to motorists who are speed-compliant could "help create a more positive social environment that discourages speeding".

"One way of rewarding drivers is to offer them a small discount off their car registration if, over a number of years, they have not been caught speeding," the report said. The inquiry, by the Economic Development Committee, also recommended cameras be installed outside schools and kindergartens where there was known to be a high risk of accidents.

This was part of a recommendation to use fixed cameras on streets with speed limits below 60km/h, after an evaluation of their use around school zones in NSW.

"Given the significant risk of injury to vulnerable road users, such as pedestrians, cyclists and schoolchildren in a road crash, the committee considers the use of fixed speed cameras on roads with speed limits of less than 60km/h is appropriate," the inquiry's final report said.

The use of civilians to man mobile speed cameras was also recommended by the committee as a way to free up police resources.

Other recommendations included creation of a website showing the locations of fixed speed cameras and better public education about the benefits of cameras in cutting speeding.

A spokesman for Transport Minister Rachel Nolan said the Government would consider the recommendations and report back to Parliament by the end of the year.

Peak motoring body RACQ rejected the proposal to install fixed speed cameras on roads zoned below 60km/h, "mainly because traffic volumes are low, crashes are less likely to happen and be less severe".

"Mobile speed cameras would serve the same purpose as fixed cameras and could be a better option, because they can easily be moved to other problem sites outside school times," the RACQ's Paul Turner said.

But he said rewarding drivers who obey speed limits warranted further investigation by the Government.

Some of the recommendations:

Investigate the benefits of a reward program for speed-compliant drivers.
Installation of fixed speed cameras on roads with speed limits of less than 60km/h, particularly outside schools and kindergartens that have a crash potential or crash history.
Investigate whether the use of non-sworn officers in the mobile speed camera program would allow a greater number of policing hours.
Creation of a website that indicates the location of each fixed speed camera.
Include a link to the proposed fixed speed camera website on all speed camera infringement notices.
Give clearer information to local governments, the LGAQ and other advisory committees on the criteria for selecting fixed speed camera sites and consult more on site selection.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #11
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This may work for the do-gooders and people actually concerned with public safety, but after watching a VR SS commodore driver loose his license for cutting massive burnouts, then see him driving a week later running a red light across traffic lanes, I have little faith any of this will make a difference.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
zdcol71
zdcol71

There was also a recommendation to establish a web site to inform Queenslanders where the collected revenue was actually going.That may have been done but it certainly isn't an easily found site. I would think the report may have some credibility for many people if this, and other recomendations, were more accessible.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
glavas

after 20 years on the road i have oonly had 2 fines. and that was 2 years ago for driving in a t3 lane.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #14
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Havent had a fine in years this sounds good but if Anna Bligh is involved watch out there will be a catch
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #15
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11
Havent had a fine in years this sounds good but if Anna Bligh is involved watch out there will be a catch
if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Especially when the government is involved

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #16
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it makes sense to me, as speeding is often a conscious decision. insurance companies do it with their 'no claim bonus' so why not?
Old 08-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Yoink! Ill take cheaper rego thanks.

Although these things cant be future proofed. It will probably end up being those with fines or whatever will pay more.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #18
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
it makes sense to me, as speeding is often a conscious decision. insurance companies do it with their 'no claim bonus' so why not?
not all people that exceed the speed limit are bad drivers. there are some incredibly stupid drivers out there who have probably never been had for being over the speed limit.
what about tailgaters, mobile phone users, red light runners, non seat belt wearers, non indicators, right hand lane hogs etc who don't get pinged by the police?

IMO i don't see it as a fair form of reward until ALL aspects of driving ability is considered.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #19
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
not all people that exceed the speed limit are bad drivers. there are some incredibly stupid drivers out there who have probably never been had for being over the speed limit.
what about tailgaters, mobile phone users, red light runners, non seat belt wearers, non indicators, right hand lane hogs etc who don't get pinged by the police?

IMO i don't see it as a fair form of reward until ALL aspects of driving ability is considered.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The road toll will never reduce to acceptable levels due to the fact that, incompetence, and inconsideration will never be removed from the national road network.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont non speeding drivers already get the benefit of not being fined for not speeding. Not sure what makes up the "rego" in QLD, but to keep my car on the road here, I have to pay roughly $500 a year in CTP and only $300 a year in registration. Thus as has been described in the article -

Quote:
"One way of rewarding drivers is to offer them a small discount off their car registration if, over a number of years, they have not been caught speeding,"
A small discount on $300, doesnt equate to much on a $800 bill. And it equates to even less when that small discount is added to something else to make the idea revenue neutral.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #21
Perko
Loving The Blown Goodness

Sorry to be the sceptic but anything from the Qld government is bound to be full of s%#t. Only two things will reduce road accidents and no government will put the time and effort into them. They are improved roads and increasing the level of driver education. Oh and possibly getting rid of all Holdens on the road.

Previous 2003 BA XR8 Ute Phantom
Ford Forum Build Thread

The Project 1991 EB XR8 Sedan Monza Red
Project Build Thread
Perko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If people are aware that speeding fines are purely revenue raising for the government,
then why do so many feel the need to give their hard earned money away so freely?

The best way I know to infuriate the government is to drive without getting speeding tickets,
it's a shame more people don't feel the same, we have the power to send the government bankrupt.......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #23
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

In a nutshell - the leftist agenda is to roll out many more mobile speed cameras, 'saturation' is sought.

Those that don't "speed" get cheaper rego.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope no one is sucked in by this spin.

All they are doing is vilifying and dividing drivers to turn one lot against the other.

As keepleft said, it is just a smokescreen to validate a massive increase in speed cameras and therefore a massive increase in revenue.

I drove from Hervey Bay to Airlie Beach today:

Number of accidents seen, 2 (one REALLY bad one involving a truck and a bus outside a school in Gladstone Rd Rockhamptonl)

Number of dangerous events witnessed such as idiots late overtaking or following far to closely or pulling out onto the 100km zone in front of a truck, squillions.

Number of police cars seen (other than at the accident in rocky) BLOODY NONE

Highway Patrol costs money, speed cameras make money.

While state governments believe that road safety is a profit centre, the Police service will be seen as tax collectors and respected accordingly......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #25
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek

Let's have a think about that for a moment. They're going to reward me for not speeding... does that mean that if I keep my nose clean, I'll get a doggy treat? Let's say my father-in-law (who drives Miss Daisy) keeps out of trouble, yet I speed regularly, but don't get caught. We both get "rewarded". Why should I get rewarded for that ?
If you speed everywhere, don't have accidents, break nemurous road rules and don't get caught for any infringment, then this makes you every bit as good of a driver who plays by the rules and therefore does not get fined.
It makes you a very aware driver and a safe driver at that. Most dumasses don't pay attention and therefore have accidents and get caught.

Over 15 years on my opens and not one infrigment or warning or accident... I must be doing something right and therefore should be rewarded.

15 years is a long time... i want a gold medal, free rego for at least 5 years, a new car of my choice, oh and can ya throw in some fuel too. Thanks Cpt Bligh

Last edited by Bmobile; 08-10-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #26
XAGSV8
Member 178

It won't be a discount. Captain Bligh will probably just raise the cost of rego for those who speed and call this a discount. Another way to raise revenue effectively fining speeders twice.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 PM   #27
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The smart state
Speed compliant drivers rewards
I went for a drive with a neighbour on wednesday he drives like he is 90 years old and is only 49. on the first corner he was completely in the wrong lane and the second turn he did the same thing. Now he will be a candidate for the QLD rewards for sure

I would make drivers do and pass a advance driving course for any so called rewards.

Stupidity and just plain blissful ignorance is the number one problem on the roads.

Speed is only a factor but not always the main cause.

Is QLD really the smart state.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #28
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733

So true. The day I see the Dept of Transport running educational campaigns re the basics..sic safe merging, safe separation distance between vehicles etc is the day I believe they are serious about promoting SAFE driving.

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #29
jason71
google is my friend

How does not speeding make you a better driver?

How about driving to the conditions?

I often see so called safe drivers, you know the one's, they drive 80km/h in a 90km/h zone,
they weave all over the place not paying attention but they are safe because they are not speeding.

I would rather be following someone paying attention driving at 100km/h in the same 90km/h zone.
Which by the way was a 100km/h zone originally until some bureaucrat decided it was to fast.

Last edited by jason71; 09-10-2010 at 09:36 PM.
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #30
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

With the amount of fines i've paid in the last year they should be giving me cheaper rego.