The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Which would you choose
Kia Optima 64 35.96%
Hyundai I45 34 19.10%
Give me a aussie car any day 80 44.94%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
CODSASR

Default Which korean car would you choose?

Since I have started to work at a Kia dealer as a salesman I have reallised how good they really are for the price. Alot of people think a Kia is just Hyundai with different styaling but one big difference is that Kia change the suspension to suit australian conditions and also use there own 6 speed auto instead of hyundais 5 speed.

So though I would see what others thought of the Koreans here is a few pics to help you choose.

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Which korean car would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
Since I have started to work at a Kia dealer as a salesman I have reallised how good they really are for the price. Alot of people think a Kia is just Hyundai with different styaling but one big difference is that Kia change the suspension to suit australian conditions and also use there own 6 speed auto instead of hyundais 5 speed.
And that 6-speed auto comes from.........
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I saw an i45 at Melbourne airport when I was down there last July and as a Hyundai is liking what I saw. Don't mind the KIA, but I just don't think very highly of them, personal perception really.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Paxton
Cobblers!

I'd have the i45. All it needs is a V6.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
CODSASR

The auto is a joint venture between Kia, Toyota, GM and the big one Ford

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

My sister was very close to purchasing the Kia Koup with all the fruit on it. I must admit it looked and felt nice. The crunch was with the KIA dealer itself and them doing dirty dealings (stuff I wont mention here) she chose a Mitsu Lancer VRX instead.

I love the look of the latest Hyundai range, and if I had to choose between Kia and Hyundai, I would choose the Hyundai hands down. They have won quite a few awards from what I hear, and their quality has improved a lot over the past few years. The latest i-series seems to be a hit with most younger folk.

The front of the i45 just looks more classy to me.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Optima has the "stop you in your tracks" feature, especially in darker colours, that cars need to steer people towards them from the plethora of choices now available,

We saw one when we were looking for a new car before buying the G6E.
I don't know if anyone is familiar with the Ford dealership in Rockhampton, but after turning off the road, you enter the dealership, and there is a driveway around the front of the dealership, past first the second hand cars, then the Ford section, then Mitsubishi and Kia, and on out a back gate to another road.
As we first entered the dealership to just have a quick browse at the end of the day when we were down there shopping, we glanced at the used cars, drove slowly past the Ford cars, commented on a couple that were there ("That grey one is nice...the blue XR6 looks the goods too", that sort of thing), and then drove past the Mitsubishi and Kia section and actually hit the brakes when I saw the low sleek shape of a dark silver car. My missus said "What did you stop for?", and I pointed out the car, not even really knowing what it was. I saw later it was an Optima.

Several other people I've spoken to also mentioned this "whoa" moment when first seeing one.

That's what needed in todays competitive market...something that will stop you in your tracks and force you to walk into the dealership and ask about it.

As nice as our G6E is, it didn't really stick out in amongst the other Falcons and XR6's. There needs to be a "smack you in the eye" style to higher end models that clearly differentiates them from ther others in the range. A badge and a tiny bit of chrome simply won't cut it anymore.

Not Korean, but another competitor that I'm expecting to see big things from is the Suzuki Kizashi. We took a Sport AWD one...bright red with black leather and standard Rockwell Fosgate 12 speaker stereo system...for a drive. It was amazing...comfortable, plenty of interior room, carved the corners nicely, and really looked the goods...the only thing lacking was a bit of grunt. The dealer said later this year a turbo version of the Sport AWD will be released...watch them walk off the floor in droves, he said.
We were, at the time, only looking at trading the Landcruiser on an XR6 or SV6, and the $49,000 for the Kizashi sport AWD we thought was out of our range.
We ended up with a $50,000+ G6E. Oh well. Got a good trade price for the Landcruiser.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 11-05-2011 at 05:53 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If I had a gun to my head and had to choose? Assuming Ford et al where not an option?

Id go Kia, they look better but I dont like the badge...yes that sounds stupid but for some silly reason if a Kia had a Hyundai badge then I would be more receptive of it.

How many cars do we purchase in our life time? There is no way in hell id choose a Kia/Hyundai over a Mondeo or Focus...dont even try comparing them to a Falcon. Different segment, slightly different needs. A XR6T person wont cross shop the above.

The i45 looks ok in pics but in person its awkward, and thats from an AU owner.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

That optima looks tops. The lines/etc are really what the falcon should be up to by now. Falcon still has a bit of a 2002 air about it. The optima makes the VE commodore/statesman and aurion/camry look so yesterday. Why don't Ford just do another 'Festiva' and put the blue oval in place of the unsightly kia badge - at least this one looks worthy.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I saw the Optima from behind in the KIA dealership I was in and I looked like it had some semi-AUDI accents to it. The Sales lady said that KIA had recently acquired an ex AUDI manager in the design team when the latest run of KIA's were on the drawing board. Which if true, explains some of the accents I recognized.

Dont get me wrong, the KIA Optima stills looks like a decent car, but I can't help but be reminded of the failure they were when they're cars first came to Australian shores.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
CODSASR

the designer you speak of is paul schreyer the current kia grills are known as the schreyer grill

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I actually got to sit in the Optima for a bit and was pleasantly surprised to see a fairly well thought out driving layout interior wise. Seats felt comfortable and it seemed to have a tonne of features going for it for what was told to me was a vehicle between 40-50k.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #13
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My parents used to have a Hyundai Santa Fe and my sister had a Hyundai Accent . Cheap . And not surprisingly poor quality. Things may be different now though
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
My parents used to have a Hyundai Santa Fe and my sister had a Hyundai Accent . Cheap . And not surprisingly poor quality. Things may be different now though
The new Hyundais are like Chalk and Cheese compared to the Excels and Lantras of old.

A Mate of mine had Lantra Sportswagon when they were new, and it was rubbish. His wife has a new i30cw, and it is probably better built than the new Corolla is. Definitely better than his Prado.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The new Hyundais are like Chalk and Cheese compared to the Excels and Lantras of old.

A Mate of mine had Lantra Sportswagon when they were new, and it was rubbish. His wife has a new i30cw, and it is probably better built than the new Corolla is. Definitely better than his Prado.
This says a lot considering Toyota has had such a good reputation of the past. Is it just that KIA/Hyundai have stepped up or Toyota have dropped the ball?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I thought hard about the Kia 6 months back but opted for a second hand Ghia - ended up being a bad move as I bought a second hand lemon.

If performance was a non-issue for me, the Kia would be a real contender. The appointments and styling seem beyond its price to me. Seems like a good bit of kit.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #17
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
This says a lot considering Toyota has had such a good reputation of the past. Is it just that KIA/Hyundai have stepped up or Toyota have dropped the ball?
I'm happy to stand by it. Toyota isn't the quality powerhouse it used to be. They've cut more corners than Nascar to get where they are today.

Edit: Hyundai and Kia have stepped up. It was always going to happen, but they, like the Japs before them (and the Chinese after them) have to go from bad to good, otherwise, when the cheap and cheerful tag wears off, they've got nothing else to sell their brands. I, would buy a Hyundai i45 today, if was a) AWD, and b) V6. No medium car offers that, so I've had to compromise.

Last edited by Paxton; 11-05-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Both. Hyundai invested big at the beginning of the decade in R&D and quality control and it is bearing fruit now in the products they are bringing to market. Toyota hasn't really done a lot apart from cosmetically update its vehicles.

As for buying one, it would really depend on what type of vehicle I was shopping for at the time. Obviously neither of them have a Falcon-esque car available here so so there's no point looking to them for something like that. However, if I was after a small shopping trolley, I would happily check out an i30, I quite like the look of them. But at the moment, I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the Kia Sportage. I really, really like the look of them. And the turbo diesel is more powerful, torquey and economical than either petrol engine in the range. Ford don't offer a competitor in this segment, and they won't bring the Kuga here, so it's an easy decision.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
CODSASR

The I30 is a different class to the sportage if looking for a small car I would go the Kia Cerato SLI

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 11-05-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Based purely on looks the Kia is a noice. Saw one on the road last night and it really does look european.

Would have to test drive them to really decide though

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
The I30 is a different class to the sportage if looking for a small car I would go the Kia Cerato SLI
Yeah I should have clarified I like the Sportage not for shopping trolley duties but for family wagon duties

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
dylancox

Why can't Ford Australia sell its expertise in chassis/driveline dynamics to other manufacturers? It would be awesome to have Ford Falcon RWD underpinnings but a top-hat designed by a company from the likes of KIA.
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Kia Cerato Hatch, if it came in diesel.

Also the Optima if it came in manual the diesel Sorento.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember reading a few reviews of the Hyundai i45 which seemed to be complaining that it looked "too much like a C63 Benz" from some angles.

This reminded me of Jeremy Clarkson making a comment about how some reviewers of the last Hyundai Tiburon complaining it was too much like a Ferrari F430 "from some angles".

He said "I'm sorry...your cheap car looks too much like a Ferrari? That's like complaining because your wife looks too much like Uma Thurman..."
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Optima looks better on the outside.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
nstg8a

the optima for me... i passed one in traffic today, came up on the drivers side of it, and i though it was a euro car, the got closer and saw the kia then the optima badges.
nice clean classy lines, looks very modern. id own one all right. would definitly get de-badged though.
they just need better wheels imo.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #27
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Both. Hyundai invested big at the beginning of the decade in R&D and quality control and it is bearing fruit now in the products they are bringing to market. Toyota hasn't really done a lot apart from cosmetically update its vehicles.

As for buying one, it would really depend on what type of vehicle I was shopping for at the time. Obviously neither of them have a Falcon-esque car available here so so there's no point looking to them for something like that. However, if I was after a small shopping trolley, I would happily check out an i30, I quite like the look of them. But at the moment, I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the Kia Sportage. I really, really like the look of them. And the turbo diesel is more powerful, torquey and economical than either petrol engine in the range. Ford don't offer a competitor in this segment, and they won't bring the Kuga here, so it's an easy decision.
Toyota changed their goal from having the biggest market share, to being the best in customer customer service. I read it this morning, but now for the life of me can't remember where I saw it to find again...

I'd have to say...I like the look of the Kia - I saw one on the Ippy Motorway the other day, it looked fairly stylish...but I'm still happy with the FG....

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #28
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I'd have the i45. All it needs is a V6.
The genesis will be here next year, V6 or V8 & RWD.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #29
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The genesis will be here next year, V6 or V8 & RWD.
I'm looking forward to driving one. If it handles, and drives well, Ford and Holden have a fight on their hands. Hyundai are mad if they don't push it at the same market that Falcon and Commodore currently occupy.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #30
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I voted for the Optima, but would never buy either, will always buy aussie cars or jap ones