Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #1
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Default The "ve" Thread

Right, even I have had enough of the several VE discussions and endless new ones appearing every 24 hours, so from hence forth, all new VE discussion that don't carry forward from the current threads are to be made here, any new thread started in the forums in large will also be merged into this one.

My little pirate mate over there <------- aint happy!

:yeees: :yeees: :yeees:

Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Kaddis
Kaddis Customs

i like the VE.....
Kaddis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

1 vote for deleting all VE threads!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally.. whilst I don't mind the VE (yes I think I would even possibly remotely consider owning one in an alternate universe).... but I am really pleased to see that enough is finally enough!!!

Thank you Laminge
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
MintEAFalcon
1990 EA Falcon S Driver

Question

I dont contribute much on this website but have been an active lurker for many years and first joined FF.com in the lead up to the BA Falcon in 2002.

I would just like to take this opportunity to express my opinion about the quantity of VE related threads, and this isnt directed at anyone specifically.

So what? I recall the endless BA threads I contributed too and read around the time of its release. I dont recall reading a lot of protest then. Ok, merge the threads if you have too, but why are we whinging about it? Is our vision that blurred with our Ford blue coloured glasses, that we cant engage in active discourse about a major new Australian motor vehicle? I dont understand why if someone is that turned off by the sight of a thread which happens to discuss another marque, they enter aforementioned thread to contribute?

Competition is a good thing! Without it, we would all still be driving XK Falcons. The Commodore will be great for Australia! It has been specifically designed with export in mind and may even help dig GM out of the financial ruin it has shoveled itself into... How can that be a bad thing? The Aussies saved the day!

I am passionate about Fords. But I am just as passionate about keeping Jobs in Australia and money flowing inwards, not outwards. Agreed, GMH is essentially an offshoot of GM, but they employ Aussies and source a lot of parts from Aussie manufacturers.

So I guess my ultimate point is this: Lets not be blinkered to the point where even the mere discussion of an alternative becomes taboo. I also cant fully comprehend why you are in these threads (wasting your time reading them), only to contribute nothing other than you are annoyed by the quantity of threads on said topic.

I love this forum, and I am a daily browser. For the most part, I prefer to read the opinions of others and the discussion taking place without feeling the need to add my own 2 cents. But at this point, I felt like taking the stand to ask, why does it matter?

Mark.
MintEAFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 12:11 PM   #6
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintEAFalcon
I dont contribute much on this website but have been an active lurker for many years and first joined FF.com in the lead up to the BA Falcon in 2002.

I would just like to take this opportunity to express my opinion about the quantity of VE related threads, and this isnt directed at anyone specifically.

So what? I recall the endless BA threads I contributed too and read around the time of its release. I dont recall reading a lot of protest then. Ok, merge the threads if you have too, but why are we whinging about it? Is our vision that blurred with our Ford blue coloured glasses, that we cant engage in active discourse about a major new Australian motor vehicle? I dont understand why if someone is that turned off by the sight of a thread which happens to discuss another marque, they enter aforementioned thread to contribute?
There is simply no need IMO for countless VE threads - they should all be under one general VE thread which has now been done (thank you mods). Even on ls1.com VE threads are in one sticky, they do not have multiple threads so I hardly see how it is brand bashing - its just easier to read and not miss some interesting info on the new VE as you dont have to click on fifty links.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
There is simply no need IMO for countless VE threads - they should all be under one general VE thread which has now been done (thank you mods). Even on ls1.com VE threads are in one sticky, they do not have multiple threads so I hardly see how it is brand bashing - its just easier to read and not miss some interesting info on the new VE as you dont have to click on fifty links.
The LS1 layout is awful. Their VE Discussion/General thread is now spread over 4 parts and currently has 1,785 posts. Trying to keep track of discussion about any one issue is a nightmare.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintEAFalcon

Competition is a good thing! Without it, we would all still be driving XK Falcons. The Commodore will be great for Australia! It has been specifically designed with export in mind and may even help dig GM out of the financial ruin it has shoveled itself into... How can that be a bad thing? The Aussies saved the day!

I am passionate about Fords. But I am just as passionate about keeping Jobs in Australia and money flowing inwards, not outwards. Agreed, GMH is essentially an offshoot of GM, but they employ Aussies and source a lot of parts from Aussie manufacturers.

So I guess my ultimate point is this: Lets not be blinkered to the point where even the mere discussion of an alternative becomes taboo. I also cant fully comprehend why you are in these threads (wasting your time reading them), only to contribute nothing other than you are annoyed by the quantity of threads on said topic.

I love this forum, and I am a daily browser. For the most part, I prefer to read the opinions of others and the discussion taking place without feeling the need to add my own 2 cents. But at this point, I felt like taking the stand to ask, why does it matter?

Mark.
This is a good response to all of the "VE" whingers out there (usually this is a sign of jealousy). Can’t anyone else see that if the VE is as good as they say it is that this can only make the Orion better? It has to be to compete.

If the VE was just a "Butt ugly dog" as many here seem to suggest, then this would simply let Ford off the hook with more mediocrity. They actually compliment each other. After all, the entire BA program was a result of a calculated risk between the AU and the VT. This was healthy competition and the BA was every bit a success because of this competition.

I am so looking forward to the Orion now because of the VE!

Long live the Orion

It would be better to have a separate sticky just for the VE, then at least those that don’t want to learn anything new about the VE don’t have to participate.

I would imagine that Ford Aus. would be learning as much as they can about the VE at the moment, otherwise they would not be doing their job!
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 02:24 PM   #9
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
This is a good response to all of the "VE" whingers out there (usually this is a sign of jealousy).
I don't think anyone in particular actually minds discussing the VE and I have said on more than one occasion that I actually don't mind the VE as a vehicle.. I think it looks good and seems to have the over all package sewn up..

I think what people have said is simply that there really doesn't need to be 50 different threads on any car (I don't care if it is Ford or Holden for that matter).. seriously, people are making threads just because they can..

I would have the opinion that enough is enough even if it was about a FORD.. so I think the claim it could be cos of jealousy is not really a valid one considering the majority of comments are positive towards the car itself.. People are whinging about the amount of threads.. big difference IMHO...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

LOL I'm sick of all the VE threads. Lets start a new one to tell everyone.
Old 24-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But Victory in Europe was a good thing, it was the end of the Nazis.

Oh you mean that new car that some people are babbling about, the 380, no thats not it, some bow tie thing or whatever isn't it.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
But Victory in Europe was a good thing, it was the end of the Nazis.

Oh you mean that new car that some people are babbling about, the 380, no thats not it, some bow tie thing or whatever isn't it.....
LOL....
Old 24-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #13
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Geezuz, I can see I will have to close this down at some stage and start a new one.....
Old 24-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Well said Mark and thank you

The other option was to start a VE forum, like we did with the BA model release, and probably what we are going to do with the next model release and then merge the posts back into the general area.

I just think its time now for VE discussions to be covered under a generic topic, whilst letting the other threads run their course.

Thanks again for your constructive input
Old 24-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont think the issue is/was the amount, it was there quality.

One like, "I just saw one pass me by" are useless really.

Give it a couple of weeks and there wont be one, just go with the flow guys :
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #16
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I dont think the issue is/was the amount, it was there quality.

One like, "I just saw one pass me by" are useless really.
You forgot the VE Interior Impossible to Clean thread!! :
Old 24-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #17
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
You forgot the VE Interior Impossible to Clean thread!! :
That's a serious thread!!
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #18
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Aust Muscle Car mag is out.
They do an in-depth of the VE and they blow pretty hot and cold on it, far from "raving and drooling". (Pick my Pink Floyd reference?)

While they say the V8 SS is a great machine and perhaps the best ever made in Aust. They bsaically do a bit of hatchet job on the rest of the range, especially the V6s. "Not much joy in it if you cant get the V8" :Reverend:

Their point seems to be that its overhyped and not that much of a break-thru and in many places just playing catch up to the BA and BF..
I think many Holden fans will NOT like AMC mag any more.
:

Required reading ladies n gents.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #19
Morpheus
Take the blue pill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
The new Aust Muscle Car mag is out.
They do an in-depth of the VE and they blow pretty hot and cold on it, far from "raving and drooling". (Pick my Pink Floyd reference?)

While they say the V8 SS is a great machine and perhaps the best ever made in Aust. They bsaically do a bit of hatchet job on the rest of the range, especially the V6s. "Not much joy in it if you cant get the V8" :Reverend:

Their point seems to be that its overhyped and not that much of a break-thru and in many places just playing catch up to the BA and BF..
I think many Holden fans will NOT like AMC mag any more.
:

Required reading ladies n gents.
Just read it. Thought it was quite a good article, but cannot really comment on it as I have not diven one yet. Think the comments about the SV6 are quite interesting. Although no where near being in the position to buy a new car, the SV6 would be the only other option to me other than the XR6 and SR. I have a mate from the Elizabeth plant who raves on and on about the SV6. I think this article has just sunk it.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #20
WASP
Whipple Induced

Lol, so now we have a new VE thread with discussion on 'VE threads'??

lol..sorry Gary
Old 24-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #21
my gt
Extreme Machine

death to the ve
my gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #22
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still think the VE is a let down.Its a good car, very good, even great in places, but its a dissapointment in others.

This is arguably the first "All new clean sheet" car designed in Aust in the 21st century. (tho maybe Territory was, but itwas based on the BA, The Ba was a re-engineer of the 1990s AU. The 380 was maybe a US/japanese design - and another let down)

This car should have blown every other Ausie car in the weeds.
When the VB came out it was ground breaking, when the VT came out, it was a mile ahead of everything at the time. Both cars made the current (due to be phased out) Falcons of the day look 50 years old.

The VE just doesnt do that. Its a lot better then what holden had, but its not a lot better then the current Falcon, if any. It might be somewhat better in some places but not others, and there's an "All new Falcon" not too far off. If VE is only catch up to, and a small step up from, BA-BF, Orion could destroy it!
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

About time. And I wish people wouldn't say, "I saw a VE today. I'm special!"

Boy, you sure are. There'll be some men in white jackets to pick you up soon.

Have a nice day
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #24
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
About time. And I wish people wouldn't say, "I saw a VE today. I'm special!"

Boy, you sure are. There'll be some men in white jackets to pick you up soon.

Have a nice day

I havent seen one, does that make me even more special?!?!? lol
Actually, i dont think i know for sure if i have seen one or not, from different angles it looks so similar to cars already on the market.

Healthy competition is great, but it doesnt mean i have to like the competition...or even give it a go, hell if i like, i can sit back and view it the first time with my, what was it called, "Ford blue coloured glasses" on and hate it from the outset BECAUSE it is a holden.

I dont like beer, i like rum. If a company hypes up a new beer as being 'new' 'different' 'unlike anything in the australian market' and when it comes out, i actually try it, my opinion is already half-formed anyway. Unless it is like no beer i have ever tasted, and reminds me of all the other crap beers i have tried then i will shove them into the same 'crappy alcohol' basket and get back to drinking my rum. Meanwhile my opinion gets shoved to the side by some 'neutral' alcohol lovers/appreciaters who says 'well if you stopped loving rum for just one second and saw that all alcohol has its merits and is good, then maybe you would like the new beer'.

(the world is easy to explain in alcohol terms!!! :baby bott )

We view everything in our world from whatever bias we are looking at an issue from. Just because im biased one way or another doesnt mean my opinion doesnt count though, i think it is sometimes the people who are automatically going to view it negatively that will see things which are a real downside, that those people with 'neutrality' just will not see until it is pointed out to them.

In the end, despite the 'hype' many people (not just the blue blooded ford fans) feel it is mediocre...at best!

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #25
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
I havent seen one, does that make me even more special?!?!? lol
Actually, i dont think i know for sure if i have seen one or not, from different angles it looks so similar to cars already on the market.

Healthy competition is great, but it doesnt mean i have to like the competition...or even give it a go, hell if i like, i can sit back and view it the first time with my, what was it called, "Ford blue coloured glasses" on and hate it from the outset BECAUSE it is a holden.

I dont like beer, i like rum. If a company hypes up a new beer as being 'new' 'different' 'unlike anything in the australian market' and when it comes out, i actually try it, my opinion is already half-formed anyway. Unless it is like no beer i have ever tasted, and reminds me of all the other crap beers i have tried then i will shove them into the same 'crappy alcohol' basket and get back to drinking my rum. Meanwhile my opinion gets shoved to the side by some 'neutral' alcohol lovers/appreciaters who says 'well if you stopped loving rum for just one second and saw that all alcohol has its merits and is good, then maybe you would like the new beer'.

(the world is easy to explain in alcohol terms!!! :baby bott )

We view everything in our world from whatever bias we are looking at an issue from. Just because im biased one way or another doesnt mean my opinion doesnt count though, i think it is sometimes the people who are automatically going to view it negatively that will see things which are a real downside, that those people with 'neutrality' just will not see until it is pointed out to them.

In the end, despite the 'hype' many people (not just the blue blooded ford fans) feel it is mediocre...at best!
Yeah, I totally agree! There are alot of great cars out there, and its worse in some ways better in others. Alot of people are falling for this marketing thats everywhere, if they did the same to a corolla everyone would be talking about that.
exrtnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 07:33 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

finally
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #27
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

May I point out this thread???? About time....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:13 AM   #28
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default First BF Vs VE roadtest : Carsguide

surprises..check the fuel economy figures.....even the Camry should be....
Actually I'm very surprised as the result was described as very close.
And if these fuel figures can be repeated through the range (and the A6 will only widen the gap) it gives Ford a powerful marketing tool it never had before.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2006, 03:04 AM   #29
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to test the VE Commodore. However, I am not looking to buy one. I merely wish to see how it drives and performs compared to you know who... Will the sales people get ****ed off if I just want to test it out without buying?
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 07:37 PM   #30
Garth
Starter Motor

Default BF Futura vs VE Berlina

Bit of a comparison has gone down at the carsguide. Interesting results and pics.
http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...-21822,00.html
Also a roadtest of the HSV series on the homepage.

Last edited by Garth; 24-08-2006 at 07:52 PM.
Garth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post