Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #31
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Default Re: Netflix

Signed up to all 3 (Presto, Stand and Netflix) a few days ago, so far I am a little on the fence as to whether any of them are worth keeping, however of the 3 Netflix i feel is the best.. We get **** slow internet here (~1-2mbps) but so far have not had a glitchout or anything.. Will make a decision in a few weeks, if and which services we keep..

We have a samsung smart tv but its smart features are slow and ****, so we bought an apple tv (full apple household) and its awesome.. Dialled netflix in to to and it works great.. And for presto and stan we have them on both the ipad and mac, and just use the airplay function to send from the device to the apple tv, works pretty well..

We also have the platinum pay tv which gets a serious workout, so for us unfortunately the streaming services have a long way to go before they can match up to foxtel.. But I have no doubt it will come with time..
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #32
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailz View Post
Yeah the kids stuff doesnt have what the young fella likes at the moment which sucks, but it has new stuff.
Cant wait to see what it has in 6 months.

The only reason i keep Foxtel is i was on a really good package deal and cant get anything close to match it.

And the wife likes all those useless girly my brothers sister is my dad, that has a dance studio and bakes cakes and is the father to 17 kids.

Ill have to look into hulu, The thing that sucks is working away you cant take it with you, unless you do it another way which isn't technically street legal - or is it since i technically pay for it??
You can take Hulu with you. Just need internet access from your phone or laptop so you can log in. If you want to watch it on tv just take along an HDMI cable and connect your laptop tothe tv.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #33
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Running Netflix through my PS3, not bad, not too interested in what they show though :( Where is Better Call Saul!?
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 11:12 PM   #34
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
Netflix is the best. Been on it since launch day. Spools up to 720p within 22 seconds. Used well over 100GB in Netflix-only traffic in the fortnight. On the juicy iinet freezone so it's all good. I love it.

Also check out www.nitflux.co.nz for a laugh
100gb in 2 weeks! Struth.. I think I have used that much in 2 years

That NZ site is choice bro, much better than the Aussie one

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Finally got Netflix sorted through the Playstation but having trouble with the TV format, in that I have large black space top and bottom of the screen.

Tried adjusting the TV but to no avail.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #36
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Finally got Netflix sorted through the Playstation but having trouble with the TV format, in that I have large black space top and bottom of the screen.

Did you get the HD subscription?
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 11:59 PM   #37
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTOXIC8D View Post
Did you get the HD subscription?
Nah, I'm too cheap for that, I've just started on the $8.99 trial

Why, is the HD sub different?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #38
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Nah, I'm too cheap for that, I've just started on the $8.99 trial

Why, is the HD sub different?
More gigabytes and therefore slower and bigger download. I got the new IQ3 from Foxtel yesterday and sent it back today. They are now trying to stream everything and I was getting too many drop outs....
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #39
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:

That could be the film you are watching and if so will change each time. Mine does that so we just got used to it.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #40
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I'm happy with Netflix so far. Watched Gravity yesterday with no hiccups on streaming. I'm more into movies.

Time will tell. Seems they have lots of TV shows which I'm not really interested in, nice to not have to put up with frigging ads though.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2015, 01:52 AM   #41
deluxe_

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN View Post
I'm in the US. That's the thing about Netflix - the current season isn't available. There's a way around it though, it's Hulu+. It's the same price as Netflix and the current season's episodes are available on Hulu+. With ads though, that's the down side of Hulu+. But after awhile you don't notice the ads as much.

If you can get Hulu+ in AU, see if you can get the free 1 wk trial.

You don't have to sit at your computer desk or stare at a laptop, just get one of those cable things. I think it's called an HTMI cable or something like that and connect it to your tv. Hope this helps.
+1

I don't watch allot of tv but when I do... I stream them off a free website i.e. Project Free TV and connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI cable and voila, watch everything to my hearts content.

The own negative aspect to this method is, you don't have any idea on what is the latest TV shows, unless you hear them from your mates word of mouth.
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #42
zilo
BANNED

The hidden cost is the internet data cost.
Foxtel is cheaper if you know what to do..
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #43
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I'm happy with Netflix so far. Watched Gravity yesterday with no hiccups on streaming. I'm more into movies.

Time will tell. Seems they have lots of TV shows which I'm not really interested in, nice to not have to put up with frigging ads though.

Cheers!
Seven Wonders of the Industrial World. I dare you not to like it Dave
Old 12-04-2015, 09:43 PM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
The hidden cost is the internet data cost.
Foxtel is cheaper if you know what to do..
Umm, Foxtel is about $45 per month for their 'Entertainment and Movie pack'. Plus a one off $200 equipment and installation fee on a 2 year contract.
I would then have to add the cost of my phone (landline) rental+ calls+ Internet connection which would be $125.

Right now a give Telstra $125 per month, for this I get free phone (line rental) free phone calls (Local, STD and all Mobile calls) 12 Foxtel channels, ADSL2 and 500Gb of Data.
Add Netflix ($9.00) for X amount of movies, with no advertising, which I can watch when and where I like, on my TV Tablet or Phone, the same with older TV programs. And no contract.

Enlighten me as to how I'm worse off .
Old 12-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #45
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

LOL foxtel cheaper?

I pay $90 per month iinet get all calls 300gb of data plus free xbox live and netflix data. Ad 16 for netflix and a VPN and i can access to almost everything for free.

Only thing foxtel that has is motorsports but ill stream my f1 and save $50 a month.

I mainly use my PC for netflix but alos have App for my xbox one so can use it on big TV. my connection is 15mps with some slight buffering/loading at start i can stream hd no problems

Anyone watch daredevil yet??

I suggest anyone that wants netflix hulu nowtv or any other streaming service invest in a dns service like unblock-us $5 per month greatly expands your content. For more discretion and other options also include a VPN service for another $5 a month and have no about data retention

Last edited by Pub247; 12-04-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #46
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247 View Post
LOL foxtel cheaper?

I pay $90 per month iinet get all calls 300gb of data plus free xbox live and netflix data. Ad 16 for netflix and a VPN and i can access to almost everything for free.

Only thing foxtel that has is motorsports but ill stream my f1 and save $50 a month.

I mainly use my PC for netflix but alos have App for my xbox one so can use it on big TV. my connection is 15mps with some slight buffering/loading at start i can stream hd no problems

Anyone watch daredevil yet??

I suggest anyone that wants netflix hulu nowtv or any other streaming service invest in a dns service like unblock-us $5 per month greatly expands your content. For more discretion and other options also include a VPN service for another $5 a month and have no about data retention

Netflix just changed their TOS to ban VPN. They are not enforcing it yet but I imagine it's just around the corner.

Foxtel is expensive, a number of people claim to have reduced their monthly spend with threatening to cancel their service. I haven't actually seen somebody's bill to back this up but no doubt it happens.

Foxtel also has a big catalogue of on-demand movies and TV shows with IQ.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #47
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Unblock-us isnt a VPN..... Be aware that hulu block most vpn companies and i think nowtv does too
A VPN encryption is used for other services than getting around geo blocking
Old 12-04-2015, 11:41 PM   #48
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Foxtel used to be reasonable through xbox360 network, and no data costs if with telstra, don't know what it's like now..

I hope Netflix Australia's library improves over time, can anyone tell me if the latest shows are on it yet?

Like Daredevil?
Old 13-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #49
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Yes Daredevil is because it is a netflix owned and produced show so is orange is the new black which isnt a bad show and house of cards is too but i havent watched that.

shows like breaking bad the walking dead arent on the aus netflix but are on USa one. Shows like walking dead and Game of thrones you wont get the newest episodes as they are produce and owned by cable tv stations like AMC.

Netflix will improve once tv station and foxtel rights to broadcast shows end. Netflix will buy them up they got more money than probably foxtel and free to air combined.
Old 13-04-2015, 12:23 AM   #50
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

Also, now you can get the Netflix App for the IPad!

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #51
LTDHO
The one and only

Legalities aside, as far as cost and time (availability from release date) how would you rate these?

P2P torrent
Foxtel
Stan
Netflix
Other
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 09:19 AM   #52
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Seeing as I don't have a fast enough or reliable enough service to consider streaming I'll stick with P2P. The advantage of that is, also, I now have a copy of the shows I like for later when I might want to watch them again.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #53
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Other could include Crackle and Snag - both free but have some ad breaks. Netfix, I like except it appears to focus more on series rather than movies. Foxtel is great if you like watching the same thing over and over and over....
3 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Legalities aside, as far as cost and time (availability from release date) how would you rate these?

P2P torrent
Foxtel
Stan
Netflix
Other
1. Risky but at least you can get series with no ads and in HD quality
2. Crap, I have it, $100+/month for the same old crap repeated 20 times

The others, can't comment on, never used them.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #55
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post

P2P torrent
Foxtel
Stan
Netflix
Other
1. After sept 1st would advise using a VPN
2. Expensive. So its up the individual if they see the value in it. For sports its great....if you want good shows (like GoT) your up for at least $75/m
3. Had SFA on it. Couple good BBC shows (that were on the ABC a fair while back). But they give you a 30 day trial I believe. No apps for smart TV's and using it on my laptop the thing kept buffering (connected via Ethernet) So there are technical issue as well as content issues
4. No idea. Again the best way is to get the trial and see if the content is worth the price.
5. Presto. Better then Stan IMO in content but still nothing there. Same problem as with Stan that there is no Smart TV App. But via the laptop the streaming is top notch.
Old 13-04-2015, 12:33 PM   #56
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTA View Post
We also have the platinum pay tv which gets a serious workout, so for us unfortunately the streaming services have a long way to go before they can match up to foxtel.. But I have no doubt it will come with time..
Then whatever you do do not 'upgrade to IQ3'. It is a dud as far as I am concerned and sent mine back. It relies on streaming even for Box Office movies, including the two freebies. Slow as a wet week. I have no trouble at all streaming Netflix, Crackle or anything else but Foxtel!! And slow streaming is just the start of problems with that POS.
Old 13-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #57
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Other could include Crackle and Snag -
Sounds like a Breakfast cereal
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Netfix, I like except it appears to focus more on series rather than movies. Foxtel is great if you like watching the same thing over and over and over....
Only had netflix here for a week. So far the lack of advertising and the way I can watch what I want, when I want is working well.

The Dragon Lady also likes the way she can watch Films on her Tablet anywhere around the house.
Old 13-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #58
deluxe_

I'm up to episode 9 of Better Call Saul, not a bad series so far.. It doesn't have the intensity or the edge of the seat action of the Breaking Bad, but gives more of an insight into Saul Goodman's character background and how he came about to become a lawyer.

I usually watch my stuff via this website for free. By having 20 streaming links to a single episode it provides a great backup in case either one of the links are down.

I'm not sure if i am even allowed to link this here but I believe sharing is caring, or alternatively google free tv video online

Last edited by deluxe_; 13-04-2015 at 08:47 PM.
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 09:55 PM   #59
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have signed up to Netflix and so far I like it. No issues with playback. But I have noticed that my Bigpond Cable no longer runs at 115MB/s and is now more closer to 60MB/s. I bought a Chromecast dongle. It took quite a bit of mucking around to get Chromecast to work, but now that it does it has been rock steady. I usually start Netflix on my Android device and then flick it off to Chromecast to watch. The Chromecast is happy to be powered of the USB port on the back of the TV and to supply input to the HDMI. At first I thought the Netflix library was so so ... but the more I watch it other titles start to appear. Caught up on the old favorites like the Godfather, Robocop, and Thomas the Tank Engine. Definitely worth $11 per month.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #60
olfella
Cranky old bastard

I use the apple tv as it can work independent of the pc and has its iwn remote. Best to make the list up in the pc first to sace a lot of mucking around.