Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2016, 10:57 PM   #31
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Default Re: What Do You Do For A Living? *Photo Heavy*

I work for myself as a mortgage broker. A simple business model with no staff or premises. Just a phone and a desire to help.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
When I was at school I wanted to be a mechanic. Did a prevoc course. Didn't land a job or apprenticeship straight away so got a job in a print factory to get some cash and thought it would look better on my resume if I had a interim job. 21 years later I'm still here. Did an apprenticeship as a printer instead. I wouldn't say I love what i do but I don't hate it and I'm kind of glad I'm a printer instead of a mechanic, funnily enough.

I have some pictures of the press I run but I'm at work so will post then up when I get home.

A reasonably modern printing press

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 11:39 PM   #33
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Project Manager (IT) for a software development area in a large government department. I've been in IT since 1999, and am still here. I like what I do because we are constantly building new functions for our system, or enhancing old ones, so no year is the same, and the SDLC means you are in different phases of a project every few months. I was a Business Analyst prior to that, and still use those skills and experience to work out the best way forward with current projects - though these days my job is more of coach, manager, mentor than getting my hands dirty in detail.

I previously worked for an IT company in the private sector, and got to work in HK, Singapore, New York, Orange County (Irvine), Melbourne & Sydney - but there's nowhere like home! My plan is to work for this department in IT until retirement, or until they VR me.....I actually like it that much!
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 12:07 AM   #34
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

I'm the Business Manager at Grace Records Management in Newcastle / Hunter Region. We manage peoples information (how's that for a sales pitch).

What this means is that I'm responsible for everything....

We have a small team, so I'm out selling (everyone else), accountable for the operations & P&L, but at the end of the day, I'm just one of the boys. I have my LO & LF license and when required, I'm on the stock picker 9 meters up retrieving or putting away boxes.....We also have a fire proof vault that is temp controlled 24/7 for data storage (for all you IT guys).

I've been there 3 years now and I enjoy it because I have a great team, along with quite a bit if variety / autonomy.

There are days where I'll work weekends, but there are also days that I'll take off during the week to go fishing

There are days when I'll be in the air conditioned office (posting on AFF) and there are days where I sweat my ar#e off putting away boxes in the warehouse.

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps0xff0ta5.jpg
Old 09-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #35
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Retired motor mechanic.
Spread my time between reading internet stuff, very interested in AFF as Ford was a big part of my working life, and maintaining our property pool etc.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 09:53 AM   #36
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
Retired motor mechanic.
Spread my time between reading internet stuff, very interested in AFF as Ford was a big part of my working life, and maintaining our property pool etc.
And pools and property are nearly a full time job
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #37
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto View Post
i make computer generated stuff for film like this working at Rising Sun Pictures. Been working in the field since around 2000 ish ..was a factory worker before that ( with potery beige :-) and thought Id better do something usefull or interesting with my life before i slit my wrists.
Since then Ive worked on films like Harry Potter, green lantern, Hunger games, Xmen, Wolverine,King Kong..and so on.
But the best thing about working in this field is that I can wear a slayer shirt, shorts and thongs to work and no once really cares. When I rock up in the carpark, in town everyone is wearing their stuffy suits and ties holding a briefcase and just laugh inside.
Im such a bum
That's pretty cool.

A friend of mine works in the same industry. Currently works for Weta Digital in Wellington, but has worked for VFX companies in Brisbane and Sydney as well. Like you, he's worked on some pretty big movies.

Living the dream, mate.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #38
ryanstev

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
what other work have you done besides IT?
Labourer for an electrician
Car groomer for a car rental
Lube tech for a car servicing chain

Those jobs didn't pay much, but I didn't have to explain things to people, like I do in my I.T. job.
People will call me for help, then pay no attention to my answers and I'll have to repeat myself 2 or 3 times.
I've had to repeat a simple 8 word instruction to someone 7 times in a single call in the past.

That, times 8 years and you get me.

This is my last I.T. job, I can't stand these people.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #39
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
That's pretty cool.

A friend of mine works in the same industry. Currently works for Weta Digital in Wellington, but has worked for VFX companies in Brisbane and Sydney as well. Like you, he's worked on some pretty big movies.

Living the dream, mate.
Yeah I worked at weta digital for a while, was unbelievably crazy good money..I paid my house off in a year from working there in fact, worked in Sydney a bit and also on the gold coast in the movie world lot way back in the early 2000's.
Im lucky enough that there is a VFX company in Adelaide of all places so I can still live in my home city and work on cool stuff.
Whats your mates name I might know him as its a relatively small industry.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstev View Post
People will call me for help, then pay no attention to my answers and I'll have to repeat myself 2 or 3 times.
I've had to repeat a simple 8 word instruction to someone 7 times in a single call in the past.
Yep, agreed and it does my head in too. Especially when I send out a communication for a system change and you get emails for the next month saying it doesn't work, well read your ****** emails and you might not have to ask the question.

I work in IT at the moment briefly for the next month as helpdesk support until I finally get promoted to business analyst. Been doing support for far too long now.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #41
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Me:

Old 09-03-2016, 02:27 PM   #42
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I work for a globally well know wine and spirit company
Im only a pleb tho, no office job for me
Im on the floor doing the real work
14 years at this company
Only way ill go is if they pount the finger at me and say youre getting a redundancy.
Which the way the wine industry is going is a good chance
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #43
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been a SAP developer going on 5 years now and not particularly happy doing it but I think that is more to with all the other crap then the actually coding though even that can be frustrating at times.

I need a change, I just don't know what or where so staying put for the moment. I've applied for a promotion so see what happens with that for starters.

It still beats the helpdesk that is for sure. Unfortunately for a lot of IT people you're either going to start there or end up there at somepoint
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #44
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I've been a SAP developer going on 5 years now and not particularly happy doing it but I think that is more to with all the other crap then the actually coding though even that can be frustrating at times.

I need a change, I just don't know what or where so staying put for the moment. I've applied for a promotion so see what happens with that for starters.

It still beats the helpdesk that is for sure. Unfortunately for a lot of IT people you're either going to start there or end up there at somepoint
Are you talking about SAP software ?
Old 09-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #45
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Are you talking about SAP software ?
Yep that's the one, mostly in the HR space.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #46
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Yep that's the one, mostly in the HR space.
We have it
Old 09-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #47
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Im foreman for a Property maintenance company, run a small crew of 4, most our work is Painting and water washing, don't mind it really, always in different places and doing different things, Oh im a painter by trade that's how i got this gig lol
Old 09-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #48
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'm the manager of a mobility store, we work with these:

We design the chairs, work out what the client will need it to be able to do, place the order (the actual chairs are made in the USA) then deliver it, modify it if needed, service it etc. We work with anyone from little kids right through to elderly and disabled people. Also do all the usual stuff like walking frames and scooters etc but our real ability is with the scripted stuff like the above. The F5 in the pic can actually stand someone up from a sitting position, hold them up and support them so they can order at a bar, reach a cupboard, get something off a shelf etc.

On weekends I also have my own pest control business that I have had for 4 or so years now, still do large scale work when I can fit it in.

Also 1/3 of the way through a psych degree with the aim to move in to rehab counselling after that.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:59 PM   #49
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My career is fairly simple, full time gig through the week I build sheds, love the job as I'm outside everyday, very active, physically demanding and see new places all the time

On weekends I'm a labourer on railways which i also love, money is good, usually got a good bunch of dudes to work with and always doing something different. Only pic i have is from offsiding one of the welders

I love both of my jobs, for a while i wanted to get into the crane industry but it require a lot of travel and I'm more than happy to come home to my family every night
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2016, 12:00 AM   #50
TEZG
Donating Member
Donating Member2

View from my office desk.

Restorative Justice Facilitator

I organise and facilitate meetings for people who have been affected by a crime and the person who committed the crime. Unfortunately the person most affected is often no longer with us and family members participate.

I've facilitated many of these, I still don't know if I could front up to a situation like that myself.

I meet some amazing people and witness life changing experiences for those participating, and get paid for it, for me that's job satisfaction.

I've had a it of a journey work wise.

Started my working life as an apprentice painter and decorator, finished that, worked at Taronga Zoo painting and then driving the sh#t truck, fun in summer crowds!!!. Subbed in transport industry, painted the coat hanger (harbour bridge), did community welfare and drug and alcohol counselling at tafe part time when I had my second truck (post divorce) truck was obviously half the size of previous truck......
Then working with homeless and disadvantaged people, then with govt dept from 1999 til now, counselling, running group work sessions and programs in therapeutic community, writing programs, supporting other group facilitators and now facilitating Restorative Justice Interventions and workplace mediation.
A bit of a journey.
TEZG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2016, 12:55 AM   #51
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I write code. Retired a few years ago but then found out I was too young to call it quits. Got bored and started finding mischief. A mate convinced me to go work for him and they treat me well. Pay me well, send me all over the place, and once a year they send me on a holiday. Last year they had me in Seattle so shouted a week in Hawaii on the way home, even hired me a mustang for the week. This year I wanted to stay closer to home so they put me up in a house over on Kangaroo Island for a week. I work from home 80% of the time and have the flexibility to choose what projects I take on. The work is challenging, stressful, and I work some crazy hours. Still a sweet gig though. I plan to stick with it until I hit 40 in a few years then go back to doing nothing for a while.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #52
WyldOne

Underground development miner.

Last edited by WyldOne; 04-05-2016 at 12:59 AM.
WyldOne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #53
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry ZG View Post
View from my office desk.

Restorative Justice Facilitator

I organise and facilitate meetings for people who have been affected by a crime and the person who committed the crime. Unfortunately the person most affected is often no longer with us and family members participate.

I've facilitated many of these, I still don't know if I could front up to a situation like that myself.

I meet some amazing people and witness life changing experiences for those participating, and get paid for it, for me that's job satisfaction.

I've had a it of a journey work wise.

Started my working life as an apprentice painter and decorator, finished that, worked at Taronga Zoo painting and then driving the sh#t truck, fun in summer crowds!!!. Subbed in transport industry, painted the coat hanger (harbour bridge), did community welfare and drug and alcohol counselling at tafe part time when I had my second truck (post divorce) truck was obviously half the size of previous truck......
Then working with homeless and disadvantaged people, then with govt dept from 1999 til now, counselling, running group work sessions and programs in therapeutic community, writing programs, supporting other group facilitators and now facilitating Restorative Justice Interventions and workplace mediation.
A bit of a journey.
Great to see this program still going, I was working in this program when it was in its trial stage. It is a great program.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2016, 01:42 AM   #54
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a shrink, but the enduring constant in my working life has been academia at a couple of the big universities. I have always treated academia like a backup career if all else turned to crap but I actually don't like working in the health care sector all that much and have always worked at a university doing something. I made my way up the food chain doing heaps of interesting things, learned the whole tertiary system inside out and even did a stint in indigenous education. It's been an eye opener and boy have there been some 'interesting times' but the benefits always outweigh what negatives there have been. I completed my research degree a little while ago and have been alternating between research and teaching duties the last couple of years which has been loads of fun, while doing a bit of clinical work on the side. I get to work with and teach some really clever people and my work is very secure so that's me set. Over the years it's also made it easier to land other jobs, rental properties etc if people think you're a restrained Professor Plum type. Against my better judgement I'm now eyeing off degree number four with a fifth in the pipeline afterwards but I'm doing these out of personal interest only and it's nice to be settled enough in my career to do that.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:06 AM   #55
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a pretty good desk job.
Granted I'd love more money but that'll come in time. I'm working at a place I love, in an industry where I'm genuinely interested in and I love the work.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2016, 02:54 AM   #56
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I started out as a checkout chick for Woolies, then kind of fell into an office role when someone left that I'd been helping. Did that for 7 years. Didn't mind the job, but hated the politics and crud that we had to put up with in stores.

Finally resigned after I got my bus licence and started driving casually for Dad's business. 9 years later I'm still here. 99% of the time I don't mind it.
My coach:
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2016, 12:01 AM   #57
SVR73
Mr Polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Looking good champ. You should be proud
Thanks for that, really appreciate it
Old 15-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #58
Jess1992

I am currently studying at uni. I work part time as a bartender and a dancer. The life of a broke Uni student haha
Jess1992 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #59
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
I'm a Diesel Fitter at Target in the Bra section...........
How are things holding up for you in there ??
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #60
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

So wanna post lol
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post