Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #1
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why did 1980s/90s cars have indicators in the bumpers instead of the headlight?

Here's a typical 80s/90s Jap car with the indicators in the bumper:

(still taken from "Fast Foward")

Can someone explain to me the idea of putting the indicator down there? It seems like it would be an added expense, having to have extra wiring down on the bumper, when the indicator could obviously have been placed in the typical spot on the corner of the headlight. This would not only save money, but look better too. And yes, I realise the irony of asking this question due to the fact that I have a Mustang, which has the indicator in that very spot on the bumper. But it's very uncommon on mainstream (non sports) cars these days, whereas back in the day every other car seemed to have it in that spot.

(Honda Legend, 1991, somewhere in Melb)

Last edited by MrZ; 11-12-2020 at 09:35 AM.
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why did 1980s/90s cars have indicators in the bumpers instead of the headlight?

Its a bit like asking, why did 50s cars have fins? (yea I know, because of the whole space thing, but my point is, styling can be a fad or flavour of the month/year/decade)

It didnt stop at japanese cars either of course, from Ferraris to BMW's (8 series) , and even chevy camaros, indicators were in the bumper.

lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #3
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why did 1980s/90s cars have indicators in the bumpers instead of the headlight?

The thing is, it's not a styling feature. If it were just about style, they could put a non-fuctional clear plastic lense on the bumper, which would be much cheaper than having a fully functioning turn signal. And honestly, who cares whether the turn signal is in the headlight or not - it's not something that makes a car more interesting or attractive. Let's face it - cars (especially Japanese ones) in the 80s were boxes, there was very little style involved. So again, I ask why the car makers intentionally added complexity and cost in making the car, when they could have avoided it?
Old 11-12-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

It's an evolution thing.

Cars first 'evolved' headlights so you could drive in the dark.

Later, when roads were busier, indicators were added so others knew your intentions (only moderately successfull depending on where you live). Initially these were levers on the side of the door and hand operated. Later on they became lights - initially round and made from glass and metals.

They had always been seperate units until the glass and metal started to give way to plastics, it wasn't even possible until then and many 80's cars would have still had glass lenses.

As aerodynamics became more important, materials and maunfacturing methods changes and as mentioned above for aesthetics the headlights and indicators gradually merged to become the one unit. But as technologies and fashions change that could change again at any time.

Last edited by Raptor; 11-12-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

back then I don't think the technology was really available to put the indicator into the headlamp. Don't forget these were filament bulbs that need a fair space around them for the light to hit the reflector and for cooling.

integrated indicators and lamps are really only available now due to LEDs, light tubes etc. Remember when BMW first brought out the angel halos?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #6
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
back then I don't think the technology was really available to put the indicator into the headlamp. Don't forget these were filament bulbs that need a fair space around them for the light to hit the reflector and for cooling.

integrated indicators and lamps are really only available now due to LEDs, light tubes etc. Remember when BMW first brought out the angel halos?
Yet the XF Falcon doesn't have indicators in the bumpers? They're within the headlight cluster. And that came out in 1984!
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and now we have these incorporated LED headlights that can turn a minor accident into a write off
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

Back then they were practical and easy to see. Now it's more about style and looks
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

For cars that were made overseas and sold in multiple markets with different rules about bumpers and the shape, height and colour and use of indicators, parking lights and brake lights it also made it easier and cheaper to produce batches of cars with different bumpers and these minor lights for different markets.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:29 PM   #10
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
The thing is, it's not a styling feature. If it were just about style, they could put a non-fuctional clear plastic lense on the bumper, which would be much cheaper than having a fully functioning turn signal. And honestly, who cares whether the turn signal is in the headlight or not - it's not something that makes a car more interesting or attractive. Let's face it - cars (especially Japanese ones) in the 80s were boxes, there was very little style involved. So again, I ask why the car makers intentionally added complexity and cost in making the car, when they could have avoided it?
I seem to remember reading in the ADRs something about the front indicators being required to be part of the headlight assembly.... or words to those effect !??
I'd have to double check... but perhaps, if this is the case, it was adopted from other legislation overseas... and if so, under the guise of road safety, no less

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 12:03 AM   #11
xb74_black

My XF pano has an XG XR8 front bumper with indicators in the bumper just below the headlights.
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 12:34 AM   #12
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can someone explain to me the idea of putting the indicator down there? It seems like it would be an added expense, having to have extra wiring down on the bumper, when the indicator could obviously have been placed in the typical spot on the corner of the headlight. This would not only save money, but look better too.

You answered your own question. It used to be deemed safer to have the indicator further away so it's easier to spot at night when the headlights were on.
Then no one cared about that safety aspect and did it the cheaper way that looked better (and added huge touchscreens instead of sensible controls, DRLs always on with dash lights so idiots drive at night with no headlights on, clear lenses with weak coloured bulbs and little touches like that etc).

tl;dr: People used to think and care, now they don't. Price and looks matters most now.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
You are wrong; whether you like it or not is was part of the styling feature of the cars in that time period.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 12:28 PM   #14
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

There were instances where imported vehicles had turn signals designed for other markets like USA that
did not comply with local regulations, be that visibility at certain angles or the radiated colour not being
correct. That lead to some quirky looking light set ups in bumpers in front and back of certain vehicles.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 01:38 PM   #15
hayseed

Quote:
Yet the XF Falcon doesn't have indicators in the bumpers? They're within the headlight cluster. And that came out in 1984!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb74_black
My XF pano has an XG XR8 front bumper with indicators in the bumper just below the headlights.

Pretty sure the Unleaded Fuel XF's had the Indicator in the Bumper, whereas the leaded ones Didn't.. (Or maybe Vice versa) but happy to be corrected..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #16
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Pretty sure the Unleaded Fuel XF's had the Indicator in the Bumper, whereas the leaded ones Didn't.. (Or maybe Vice versa) but happy to be corrected..
Hi. Both had indicators in the headlight but the unleaded version (1986 on) had side repeater indicators in the sides of the front bar. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #17
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Nissan Patrol, brake lights in the bumper and not where they should have been.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
they were moved from the rear quarters to the bumper to meet ADRs for australian sales at the time from memory

from memory they XR/XT were in the front bumper
the XW/XY/XA were next to the head lamp
the XB was back in the bumper
and the XC/XD/XE/XF were back next to the head lamp
dont remember the e series onwards and i briefly had an EL then moved to other things

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2020, 07:56 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Think that was done because of the rear mounted spare wheel something to do with blocking vision at an angle, happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #20
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. The KA and KB laser hatch had the blinkers beside the headlights but its brother the meteor sedan had them in the bumper for the same years. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #21
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Both had indicators in the headlight but the unleaded version (1986 on) had side repeater indicators in the sides of the front bar. Cheers MD
The last XF's had the repeater in the front guards, moved from the side of the bumper.

I can remenber the ugly front and rear bumpers added to imports into "The Democratic republic of Commie fornia" back in the 70s which turned fine examples of some Mercedes and Honda's into silly looking lenghtened abominations.
No other US states were silly enough to allow this.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #22
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
they were moved from the rear quarters to the bumper to meet ADRs for australian sales at the time from memory

from memory they XR/XT were in the front bumper
the XW/XY/XA were next to the head lamp
the XB was Below the bumper
and the XC/XD/XE/XF were back next to the head lamp
dont remember the e series onwards and i briefly had an EL then moved to other things
Fixed

1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2020, 09:28 AM   #23
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to mention the AU XR’s...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #24
Dezza
Parts bin special

The VP-VS Commodore had indicators next to the headlights but the equivalent Toyota Lexcen had them in the bumper to make it look a bit more like other Toyota models of the time. I think it's just a styling thing

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget the round headlights that some European cars had to have which were imported into the US.

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post