Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 14-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Shannas
Starter Motor

Default New MC wagon owner with a question

Hi All

I picked up my new work car today, an MC LX Wagon TDCI. Previous was a Falcon BF sedan and first impressions are that the Mondeo just outshines the Falcon.

I've read the manual but have a quick question hoping that from experience someone can answer it.

The 12v power sources through out the car.... The manual reads to me that the cigarette lighter power supply in the console will keep charging for 30 minutes from ignition off, but that the other two sources (rear seats and boot) will continue charging indefinetly.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have already plugged in items to 2 of the 3 sources and am trying to avoid the embarrasment of jump starting my car after less than 24 hours.

Thanks

Dave

Shannas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
Shannas
Starter Motor

Further to this I have unplugged those items for now, but my intentions were to leave them plugged in and have them on charge while the car is running.
Old 14-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
obione980

I think it's pretty clear!

The rear seat and boot outlets will continue to draw on the battery indefinetaly.

English is English! the car may be Belgian built, and German designed - but the manual is in English!

:-))

Actually I have found parts of the manual very difficult to understand!
obione980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Shannas
Starter Motor

You're right the manual is pretty clear - I think I am just surprised that this is the case and hoped I had read it wrong. Thanks for your quick response Obione
Old 15-01-2011, 03:44 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, you learn something new everyday - I didn't know that the rear outlets stay powered. When I bought my wagon, I thought the outlet in the boot would be very useful but I haven't used it in 2 years! I certainly will be now for those inevitable times when my phone goes flat on the road.

Quick question about your new car - does it have the Powershift box or the old auto?
Old 15-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannas

Can anyone shed some light on this? I have already plugged in items to 2 of the 3 sources and am trying to avoid the embarrasment of jump starting my car after less than 24 hours.

Thanks

Dave
Hi Shannas,

Welcome to this section of the forum.

The question about whether or not power outlets stay powered is interesting, but in the absence of other information I would believe the manual. Problem is the manual is written concurrently with the car design process and often alterations in the car design occur that the printed manual does not reflect.

But it is simple to check. Providing you park in a secure location (and you have no immediate need for a battery operated device, which you can charge from the car, with a charge indicator on it), leave it charging as you leave the car. Lock the car and in a hour return, don't unlock the car. Check if the item charge tell tale indicator is on or off.

Why without unlocking? Those sofware people can get cute and might start things running when the car gets an unlock command. Might lead to a wrong conclusion. The decisions in the sofware could also be different if the car is left unlocked as well.

So far as draining the battery is concerned it depends on what you want to charge. A cell phone requires of the order of 0.5 ampere hours to charge from flat. The battery in a diesel Mondeo has full charge capacity of about 70 ampere hours so it could theoretically charge about 140 cell phones. Netbooks are probably OK too, since both types of device have charging control circuits to prevent their batteries being overcharged. This means the device only requires standby current once the device battery is fully charged. This is very small often 1/100 th of the charge current or less.

Modern cars leave a lot of systems in standby - keyless unlocking, alarm, radio etc - that draw power. We have left both cars (see below) for 5 weeks without use. Both started at first turn of the key when we got back home when the batteries were in good condition. (The T hesitated with a 6 year old battery last time, the battery was promptly changed )

On the other hand I would not leave a jump start unit connected when the car is not running unless I was confident it was fully charged. ie it has been charging from the running vehicle for at least an hour. And then why bother?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
Shannas
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Quick question about your new car - does it have the Powershift box or the old auto?
NZ XR6 - I have been told by the dealer it has the 6 speed powershift. Manual supports that information as well...

AlanD - Thanks for the welcome. I will use your advice for sure. as highlighted its only been 24 hours of ownership and I haven't had the chance to play with these things and test it out thouroughly.

I did leave a couple of leads plugged in last night when I locked the car and made sure the LED's were visible if I peeked through the window. Returned after an hour and the cigarette lighter output had turned off but the boot supply was still on. Obviously I didn't find out anything more than the manual had told me. As long as I'm not charging anything with a heavy drain I will be fine.

Hopefully the last of the newbie amatuer questions. Cheers
Old 15-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
Allusion

Hi Shannas, I read somewhere the cigarette lighter power can be changed between ignition switched or permanent by moving the fuse (eg pins from 1-2 to 2-3). If ford kept this in the MC, it might be the same for the sockets in the back.
Allusion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
gh172

Did your car come with the MC model manual? Reason I ask is because we picked up our MC Zetec before Christmas and it came with a manual for the MB.
When I asked the dealer for the correct manual he told me that their cars have arrived with the MB manuals. I've asked them for the correct manuals when they're available and I'm hoping to see them at the three month check up.

Cheers.
Old 19-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannas
NZ XR6 - I have been told by the dealer it has the 6 speed powershift. Manual supports that information as well...
Thanks for that Shannas. The new Mondeo hasn't been released in NZ, so it's good to know that the base model has the Powershift box. Previous info in this forum indicated that only the Titanium would have the new auto.

It really was a good question; I had no idea that the rear power outlets were always powered.
Old 19-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
Shannas
Starter Motor

Ford website backs up the powershift

http://www.ford.com.au/servlet/Satel...oller&site=FOA

Quote:
2.3 litre Duratec 16V 4-cylinder petrol engine

Optional Features:
2.0L Duratorq 4-cylinder Turbo Diesel with Powershift® 6-speed dual clutch automatic transmission
And we all know that everything on the internet is true
Old 23-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Budorat
Mondeo owner.... almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh172
Did your car come with the MC model manual? Reason I ask is because we picked up our MC Zetec before Christmas and it came with a manual for the MB.
When I asked the dealer for the correct manual he told me that their cars have arrived with the MB manuals. I've asked them for the correct manuals when they're available and I'm hoping to see them at the three month check up.

Cheers.
Thanks. This is excellent to know. I take delivery of my MC Zetec TDCi on 04 Feb. I will be sure to check the correct manual has been included.
Old 23-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Budorat
Mondeo owner.... almost

I wish the Hatch also came with the third socket in the boot. I would prefer not to run a cable from the back seat to my boot to power my Engel fridge. Looks like I will have to get an auto electrician to install one for me, unless I get adventurous and decide to do it myself.
Old 23-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budorat
I wish the Hatch also came with the third socket in the boot. I would prefer not to run a cable from the back seat to my boot to power my Engel fridge. Looks like I will have to get an auto electrician to install one for me, unless I get adventurous and decide to do it myself.
May already be there noticed wiring looms under rear seats on the hatch always wondered what they are for wouldn't be too hard to find out which one is active at all times just make sure the wire is suitable to carry the load of the fridge might check it out myself one day out of curiosity

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post