Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-07-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
MattyJ

Default Travel Destinations...

Hi guys,

I'm currently 18, first year of uni (business degree), and starting to get very keen on traveling. I planned to do it at the end of yr12 but it never happened, so i'm going to do it in dec 07 / jan 08. I was going to buy a motorbike instead but i'm starting to think experiences > posessions.

I'm after advice as to where people have been and would recommend. I've already been to USA and i'd like to do something different. It is likely i will be offered the chance to go to Dubai in Nov this year, but i'm still after advice on where else i could go. It dosen't have to be limited to one country. My budget is around 8k AUD.

I'm looking for that real trip of a lifetime... any ideas?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might not be to your interest.. But have you thought about going around Aus/NZ? There's some absolute fantastic places to see in our own country, mum and dad have gone all over the world and reckon some of the best places they've been are right at our doorstep. They went to NZ earlier this year and had the time of their lives.

I've also had great experiences in places like NT (all over), Cairns (Port Douglas, Daintry, then great barrier reef), up the east coast etc.

I'm planning an international trip next year however which includes Germany (oktober fest), Amsterdam/Friesland, Greece, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, Sweden and a few other places depending on how long I have.

If you really want something different i'd suggest a big cultural change, have you thought about Asia? I'm planning three big trips in my life. First is Europe, then Asia, then Americas and Caribbean etc. So there's plenty to see.

What are you interested in?
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
SiKoRa_eL_97

Europe! im here right now and its great

better confiscate his computer.
SiKoRa_eL_97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #4
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Vietnam, China and bits of Asia, go see what its like to live on 5 cents a day, and yet still smile. Once you finish there go see India, talk to a few phone operators, you might get a great deal for Optus, Telstra,Anz back blah blah blah...

Or if you like the cold, go to the antartic, mates went last year and said was possibly the best trip they have ever had.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
kooky
WRX terrorist

Dubai is amazing!!!

Thailand is great for relaxing and living like a king on $20
Old 25-07-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thailand is great. Phuket.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
FITZY469
Starter Motor

Im London and have been for the past 11 months... its a good base to travel from if you want to get a job here and earn some british pounds, which gets you a bit further than the aussie dollar... plus there are heaps of like-minded aussies here travelling and having an awesome time! i wish i had done it earlier!! you wont regret it...
FITZY469 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

8K probably won't see you over in Europe or the UK for too long considering that the Aussie dollar is still weak against those currencies. You're probably better off looking closer to home like in Asia, Malaysia or NZ where you'll get further for your dollar.
Personally, I have been over to the US in '03 to work in a winery for 3 months and also travelled around California for a couple of weeks either side. That was absolutely fantastic!
Went on a driving trip around Europe in '05 for my honeymoon. Another fantastic trip. Went to London, Paris, down through France to the French Riviera, on to Italy, Siena, Pisa, Florence, Rome and Venice. Then on to Austria to Salsburg and a day in Munich which happened to be the last day of the Oktoberfest, but we didn't get down to the fairgrounds as it was apparently too busy. Next stop was Holland and Den Haag to see some family, visiting Amsterdam for a day. Then the Brugge in Belgium and back in to France back to Paris to fly home. We covered over 5500 kms in just over 3 weeks. Spent a couple of nights in Kuala Lumpur on the way home because it was really cheap.
The wife and I have another overseas trip this year, back to Italy, but it is an education trip for my wife and is being partially funded by her work. Rome, then to Siena for a week to visit wineries for her education, then to Venice, Verona, Milan, Paris, Washington, New York and San Francisco. In SF, we'll be catching up with the people we worked with back in '03.

To do any of that is going to cost you more than 8k as you'll be looking at at least 2-2.5k for airfares alone once you factor in airport and government taxes. For us, it was about 15k each for the US and first Europe trip.
My sister-in-law has just come back from Tailand and that looked fantastic. Would have been nice and cheap as well!

On a side noe, a guy at work said to me yesterday that there is possibly a new international airline setting up in Australia soon and as an opening special they will be having $11 (+ taxes) flights to London!
Old 25-07-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
pb02
inconceivable!

China is pretty cool, heaps of places to see and some very extreme climates and landscapes.

South America is awesome! Tons of cool stuff to see also. Very cheap at the moment as most countries will accept US currency.

Depends on what you are looking to see. Machu Pichu in Peru has just been listed as one of the 7 Wonders. They also have Coral, Nasca Lines, Lake Titicacca, Huaras, The Amazon, Cusco, Colca Canyon, and plenty of other cool places like Mancora and Lima itself.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
XWGT