Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #1
Ivo
Starter Motor

Default AU1 Hand Brake will not ratchet up.

Hi fellas, the hand brake on my AU is playing up. When you grab the lever and pull it up it will lock the rear wheels but when you let go of the lever it will fall back down. Basically there is no ratcheting sound as you pull the lever up, its silent and there is nothing holding it in the engaged position.

Any thoughts before I start digging around in the car?

Ivo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
TheSly1

Default Re: AU1 Hand Brake will not ratchet up.

it appears to be a fairly simple mechanical tool mate, just slide off the sleeve that goes over the handbrake level and take a look im sure itll be something simple.
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Ivo
Starter Motor

Agreed, you would think it is simple but......nothing ever is lol. I have the rubber boot off and and have shone a torch around but its hard to see the inner workings. From what I can tell, the teeth on the fixed part seem to be worn down quite a bit which may or may not be the problem. I cant see the "hook" piece that engages with those teeth, more then likely its the problem. I guess I will have to remove it from the car and have a closer look. From the look of it it does not look like it comes apart.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
TheSly1

yeh i guess ur right, maybe try remove drivers seat so youhave better access to it?
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Ivo
Starter Motor

Quick update.

I stopped in at Ford wreckers, they said it was a common problem for the handle not to engage. $29 for a second hand one that works, just have to fit it now.