Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Centrelink

Just wondering if anyone here works in Centrelink??

Recently we lost a family member who was only 43. She has 4 kids, the youngest is 16 and on youth allowance. This little girl has just received a letter telling her that she has been dropped from $180pfn to $26pfn to survive on.

Her father does work but is on what would be classed as a low income and obviously has not been at work due to his wife's illness. This lass was eligible for the full allowance when her mum was still alive and her father had the same wage. I have a friend who has a combined wage of ~60k & her children are still eligible for the payment.

What the hell could be going on ??????????? Is it just a cruel mistake by centerlink or is it just not this poor kids time ?????

MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Centrelink is just another way Australians are being put down , Dole Bludgers Clean it up and these kids get squat!

My Auntie works for the Centerlink Tribunal , Ill ask her what your options are ..

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited by AU2PWR; 27-11-2007 at 12:31 PM. Reason: bit over the top
AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

removed

Last edited by |||; 27-11-2007 at 12:38 PM.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
tim2x

Heh, i've had a lot of experience with centerlink and they'll do that. If your down at there offices all day, they'll shove her back on the right amount.
tim2x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats one of the problems living out bush. Our closest office is for them a 200k round trip. She is also attending school (went back today) so I will have to make the 50k trip to get her & then go sit in the office ....... It stinks that a poor kid looses her mother & then has to go through this cr@p.........
Old 27-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tell ACA, they love this sorta stuff. she'll be back paid instantly.
RavenLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will need her to speak to them or her father at least... there is also help for him in the loss of his wife.
Once you get someones attention onto it, they will fix it up but make sure her dad asks about what financial help is available to him on the loss.

Good luck with it all and just remember, don't give up.. Someone made a big mistake and now they need to rectify it.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #8
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

If you cant get any sense out of centrelink I would contact your local mp,they can be quite helpful in situations like this.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Sorry to hear of your loss of a family member. Centrelink can be cruel, sadly it is the dole bludgers that ruin it for legit people. Go in there and hastle them and im sure you will get it sorted out, oh and while your there see if she can also claim a study allowance also. Gl , cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
peyote
Grandpa EF Wagon

also tell the father to look into the bereavement payment
helps pay for some of the after costs
Old 27-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #11
daniel_rossy
AU Falcon

Im Sorry about the loss, i say go to ACA, they will be on it in no time,
Yes, dole bludgers who just sit at home and spend half the money on grog without even considering working really makes me angry when these poor kids have it tough and barely get a cent. But not all Dole Bludgers do this mind you, some are actually looking for a job and i wouldnt mind giving them some of my pay to help them out because if i was in their position i would be greatful,

but the others on the other hand... :
daniel_rossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherNature
Just wondering if anyone here works in Centrelink??

Recently we lost a family member who was only 43. She has 4 kids, the youngest is 16 and on youth allowance. This little girl has just received a letter telling her that she has been dropped from $180pfn to $26pfn to survive on.

Her father does work but is on what would be classed as a low income and obviously has not been at work due to his wife's illness. This lass was eligible for the full allowance when her mum was still alive and her father had the same wage. I have a friend who has a combined wage of ~60k & her children are still eligible for the payment.

What the hell could be going on ??????????? Is it just a cruel mistake by centerlink or is it just not this poor kids time ?????
Could be that the mother was not including dads wages into the family earnings, meaning the child got higher payments.

Now that Centerlink knows the dad supplies the income, this is now weighted and her payments drop as a result.

Either that or, they've screwed up (wouldn't be the first time, they gave me a 100% breach just this week, meaning I get no payments for 8 weeks, even though they informed me the problem would be fixed...)
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I feel for there loss..
Friends, family and local community should help if they know....
Keep in touch...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #14
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

if they have to pay tax on it make sure they take the right amount ,as they stuffed me around and i got a nice little tax bill worth $700 wasnt happy
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Chippar
The Ancient Warrior

Quote:
Thats one of the problems living out bush. Our closest office is for them a 200k round trip. She is also attending school (went back today) so I will have to make the 50k trip to get her & then go sit in the office ....... It stinks that a poor kid looses her mother & then has to go through this cr@p.........
Is there any way you could ring your nearest office or try the general Centrelink number for the cost of a local call.

Have the lass with you at the time, together with the letter she received, and put the case to them. They may want to speak to the lass for identification purposes, so having the letter with all the reference numbers handy is vital.

You may be able to solve the problem this way before taking any further drastic matters, which might have to be used later on down the track, if all else fails.

I had a similar incident when I had to put my old dad into a nursing home and his pension was cut from 100% to 20%. I called the Centrelink number, identified myself as having the power of attorney etc etc, outlined the problem and lo and behold it was fixed there and then and a confirming letter was received 3 or 4 days later.

So the less stressful way is the first line of attack in my books. Good Luck..
Chippar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #16
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies guys. We will be taking this further, through the right channels of cause.
Old 27-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #17
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

lisa, unfortunately, this is the wonderful stupidity that comes from centrelink, for a while i was forced to live on $170 a fortnight because centrelink claimed i chose to live on my own, my father lived in the UK, and my mum was in melbourne, 2000k's away..... regardless, they were expected to support me

the really comical part? while they say the parent has to support the child, there is nothing in place to make it happen

what really bugged me was that i wanted a job, but i literally couldnt afford to do anything more than exist, $85 a week doesnt go far when you're living on your own
Old 27-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Centrelink is a joke. Pretty sad when druggos and bludgers can rock up for handouts and someone who has paid taxes for years and years can't get a little help on the rare occasion when they ask for it.

Hope all is sorted out. A really awfull thing to be going through I'd imagine.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have spoken to the little one this morning. She spoke to centrelink late yesterday. The conversation went something along the lines of -

CL - this is the amount you are being paid as that is the way it is.

Child - The only thing that has changed is that my mum has died, she has always told you what dad earned.

CL- yes true

Child - So there is nothing you can do to help us at all

CL- No

Child - then can you please send me some living away from home forms as I will have to move out because Dad cant afford to feed me.

CL - is he abusing you? (like WTF!!!!)

Child - No he just cant afford to keep me if you take my payments away.

CL - I think theres abuse going on I will send out a social worker & DOCS to sort him out ...........

The world has gone absolutely crazy ............. I am going over there tomorrow to sort this out............... Why are there so many idiots working in government jobs ??????

Not only has she lost her mum, they are forcing her to move away from her grieving father as well ........... This is a time they need each other .......
Old 28-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have spoken to the little one this morning. She spoke to centrelink late yesterday. The conversation went something along the lines of -

Child - The only thing that has changed is that my mum has died, she has always told you what dad earned.

CL- yes true

CL- No

Child - then can you please send me some living away from home forms as I will have to move out because Dad cant afford to feed me.

CL - I think theres abuse going on I will send out a social worker & DOCS to sort him out ...........

The world has gone absolutely crazy ............. I am going over there tomorrow to sort this out............... Why are there so many idiots working in government jobs ??????

Not only has she lost her mum, they are forcing her to move away from her grieving father as well ........... This is a time they need each other .......

WTF! That is absolutely shocking. Take it higher if you can. Stuff mucking around with those morons.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #21
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:

CL- yes true

CL- No

I agree that this is rather disturbing, but wouldnt you be better of doing something productive about the problem???? Rather then posting a serious issue like this on a CAR forum.

You probably spent a half hour typing that up,when you could have been chasing the real issue.

Cheers.
Old 28-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #22
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
I agree that this is rather disturbing, but wouldnt you be better of doing something productive about the problem???? Rather then posting a serious issue like this on a CAR forum.

You probably spent a half hour typing that up,when you could have been chasing the real issue.

Cheers.
i think youll find she is here for any advice on the matter...... this car forum isnt just a bunch of hoons......most of us have legit jobs and are more than willing to help each other out

posting this stuff helps those who could help understand the situation more and if been through the same thing, can already inform on what to do

mothernature - i think there is a centrelink ombudsman you could contact, or pop into your nearest branch (easier said then done when you live 50k away from it)

good luck with it all

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #23
XYGTHO
FORD FREAK

Yer mate, good luck. It stinks. So many people are struggling to just get by lately. Things are getting all to hard for alot. Let us know how you get on and give the girl and her father my best wishes and condolances.
Old 28-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #24
Scott

Good luck...
http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/feedback/d...spx?formid=228
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #25
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
i think youll find she is here for any advice on the matter...... this car forum isnt just a bunch of hoons......most of us have legit jobs and are more than willing to help each other out

posting this stuff helps those who could help understand the situation more and if been through the same thing, can already inform on what to do

I didnt label anyone a hoon or accuse anyone of not working?????

I was giving my advice that maybe this isnt the best place to discuss such matter's,I wasnt having a go at anyone,just merely stating that I wouldnt spend my time writing a detailed description of a conversation with centrelink on here.
Old 28-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #26
Justin@
Banned

Quote:

I was giving my advice that maybe this isnt the best place to discuss such matter's,I wasnt having a go at anyone,just merely stating that I wouldnt spend my time writing a detailed description of a conversation with centrelink on here.
As you have been told before by others and me via pm.
Your kind of advice is often unwelcome and unnessersary.
Justin@ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #27
XRNIL8

Mothernature,

this is an aweful situation and it distresses me that people in these positions can make assumptions about abuse by the father because the true abuser here is Centrelink and their uncaring attitude to genuine people that deserve all tha help we can provide for them as tax payers.

I agree with a previous post re the ombudsman. I assisted a friend who was going to be removed from a disability pension and was expected to work when all medical reports pointed to him being wheelchair bound within 12 to 24 months due to an aggressive arthritis. With the aid of the ombudsman, a review was conducted and he was reinstated as an disability pensioner and was financially compensated for the time he was forced to spend on the lower income and support structure ...

I hope for the sake of this family, chidren and father, that common sense prevails and they finally receive some better luck.

Daryl

Father of 1
Car enthusiast
Nurse
Foster Carer of 1 (atm)

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #28
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I appreciate your advise but can assure you that my previous post took me a few minutes not half an hour to type as my typing skills obviously outweigh yours.

As has been said before I am more after some advise, hopefully from someone who may know how to handle this situation. This is not something that we have to go through every day.

I do really appreciate all the advise given thus far & can assure you all that we are taking the matter further.
Old 28-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #29
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

Mothernature, please make sure that whomever you talk to that you get their name and the time of call and the date and a reference number. This way you have something to fall back on as centrelink will have to log the call if a reference number is given. I was told this ages ago and have been doing so each time I have to call.

The whole thing smells like fish. I would be seriously speaking to someone higher up as this doesn't sound right at all.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #30
XRNIL8

any luck yet .......?

can also be found at

www.CVMotorsport.com
The new home of Motorsport in Central Victoria
XRNIL8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post