Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-01-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
kcbworth

Question Anybody Seen Roof Racks on Focus Hatch?

Hi all,

New member here interested in buying a new Focus. Would never have considered buying a new car usually but the focus is so perfect that I can't go past it!!

I'm considering getting the dealer fitted roof racks in the purchase, but haven't seen any good photos other than the cropped one on the Ford site. Anybody seen / have photos of a Focus Hatch with the racks?

If not, do you's reckon its worth getting the factory racks or just buy some decentish ones to put on later?

Thanks all - hope to have some photos here as soon as i buy

kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Good question. And a first for the Forum I think!

I know the LR Focus has channels in the roof for the roof racks? The same for the LS?

I'd go the factory if they look any good................but then I don't know much about roof racks. Here's a photo from the Ford website
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
BlackLS

Id go for a pair of more "streamlined" aftermarket such as Rolas.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
kcbworth

They certainly look good in that photo but i just can't visualise on the whole car. I think that they'd look tho so I reckon that I'll get them
Old 16-01-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Focus_RS
Starter Motor

ive got them on my car... i'll take a pic and post later (the car needs a wash!)
Focus_RS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #6
kcbworth

Just went by the Ford dealer again (after hours, the best time to check out my potential new car ;) ) and noticed that there are removable slots where I imagine roof racks are placed. Does this mean that they can be removed and reattached without affecting the integrity of the car??
Old 16-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

That is certainly the case in the LR and I assume the same for the LS
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 12:40 AM   #8
kcbworth

Well in that case I might as well go with the factory racks. Worst case I only put them on when theyre needed but i imagine they'll look great on the focus and i'll leave them on all the time.

thanks fellas!

btw, Focus_RS, look forward to seeing the pics of ur car!
Old 13-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
kcbworth

Hi i decided against the factory racks because they're a bit high and don't fit the sporty image of the car. Anyway, i haven't found any streamline racks available, and the rola website doesnt have any mention of the new focus.

So the other day i sent an email to Rola to ask what was going on, and they said that they havent found a test car. I've been waiting on a reply but i just remembered that someone here might be able to volunteer. I think that theyre in Sydney. If anyone is interested PM me and i'll give you the contact i've been liaising with. The email conversation follows:

Quote:
Me (Mar 30)
I’ve recently bought a new Ford Focus (LS series, July 2005 onwards) and was wondering if the Rola Sports roof racks are/will soon be available for this series. We’re keen to put some on asap but your website isn’t reporting them as available.

Also, if/when they are available, will they fit in the anchor points in the rails that are provided with the car or will they need a separate attachment?

Rola (Mar 31)
The situation with this vehicle is that we cannot locate a vehicle to test as the anchor points are hidden under a plastic trim that needs to be removed.

If you are in our area, we would appreciate viewing your vehicle.
To discuss the possibility of this option please phone or email me at your convenience.

Me (Mar 31)
Unfortunately I’m in Brisbane so I don’t think that I’ll be able to use my car for testing. What I can tell you is that the anchor points have a small removable cover that I believe can be removed with a screw driver? I’m not sure if you need to remove the trim to access these? I imagine that you should be able to find a suitable car in due time as they are beginning to sell pretty quickly (around 1000 a month) and the car won best car of the year under 28k last year, so there will be more and more on the way.

Please keep me posted as I am definitely interested in purchasing some roof racks.

Rola (Apr 3)
Thanks, will keep you posted.
Old 13-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Just a hint, the factory racks come with a 3 year warranty when you purchase them with the vehicle so that could be of assistance, they're covered by the vehicle's own 3 year warranty when purchased from brand new.
Old 13-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
lincoln
Blinded

I'd recommend spending a bit extra and getting Thule racks. Having used Rola and Thule, the Thule racks are much easier to use. They're quicker to fit and the add ons are better thought out. Go the Swedes! They know how to design!

Unless you get a bargain from a dealer, I don't see any value in dealer purchased racks, as their accessories are limited compared to those from Thule or Rola.
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 11:55 PM   #12
kcbworth

Just checked out the Thule website, and while they do have a model to fit the new focus, it doesnt have the same sporty look as the rola. shame because they seem to be a good company. i'll have to keep looking
Old 17-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #13
lincoln
Blinded

There are two options for Thule, there is an aero bar available and I think it looks better than the Rola.

http://www.thule.co.uk/appguide/your...=&tSP=&tLocks=

Hopefully that link works, it's the T track bars you're after.

A couple of things:

- You shouldn't run the bars on your car when you're not using them, it will increase fuel consumption as well as wind noise. As such, not sure how much looks really count... I used the non aero black Thule racks and thought they looked cool... not overly aero, but nice and purpose looking.
- The Rola racks are very aero... they look nice but they're really quite difficult to get under to fit any accessories. There simply isn't enough room between the roof and the bar, and the Rola accessories are very fidly. The Thule racks don't require you to get between the bar and the roof, making accessory fitting extremely easy... I've wasted so much time with the Rola bars and bike carrier. I ended up fitting the bike rack and then taking the bars off with the carrier still attached, so I didn't have to deal with it again... it took a good hour (and I scratched my roof). With the Thule, I simply removed the racks and carrier and reinstalled them whenever required in minutes.
- The Rola accessories aren't designed very well either. Eventually the plastic on the rack attachment warped around the screw and I needed to have it replaced. Rola were excellent and replaced it under warranty, but I felt that it'd happen again in due course.

My 2 cents...
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #14
kcbworth

FYI, I just recieved an email from Rola:

Ford Focus roof racks are now available
- 4 door Hatch, part number APX014-2
- 4 door Sedan, part number APX004-2

I won't be getting them now, but thats the parts if anyone's interested
Old 18-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #15
Marshy79

Guys... anyone who goes with the Rola Roof Racks... big tip:

It helps using two people.... half put one side on... never screw it all the way in... and jank like hell pulling the roof rack all the way to the side and screw in the other one... then do each side little by little.

Man these removable racks were hard to put on the ol VX.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #16
BrisVegas
Noobie

I'm looking at getting some roof racks so I can use a roof box/pod for camping trips. The Rola Extreme Sports Bar "looks" the best, but have noted the concerns above about difficulty to install. Has anyone else used the Rola? Is there a Thule product that looks the same? I don't want to have the bar protruding beyond the roof mounts.

If I can get a sport style, I'd leave the racks on all the time and simply put the roof pod on as required.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2008, 11:22 PM   #17
Mikey B
Frozen White Focus RS

Ive got a Brand New set of genuine Ford roof racks which I never got round to using on the ST170.

These are sitting in my garage gathering dust if anyone wants to make an offer?
Mikey B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #18
BrisVegas
Noobie

They're a different fitment to the LS/LT though I'd assume...
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #19
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yes. 3 door only also.