Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 15-02-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Default Painting brake calipers

I went to repco today and bought some blue brake caliper paint. Gonna be my project for my next day off . I also bought a chemical called CT14, which is a concentrated degreaser. Just wondering which is the best way to clean the calipers before applying the coats of paint. ie, should I just dilute the degreaser, then put it in a spray bottle, and just spray it straight onto the caliper, rotor, etc, and then hose it off, hair-dry it (to speed up the drying process), and then paint it? I'm just gonna paint it with a paintbrush rather than taping everything up and risk overspray onto the car and other parts of the braking system (because to me it seems that the brakes are something that you really don't want to play with too much!! ).

Any help would be much appreciated

RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Remove the caliper.

Lightly sand it down, or use a scotch brite pad to knock off any shine.

Remove any dust with compressed air (do not used compressed air anywhere near the brake pad surface), or use a tack rag.

Clean with Prepsol / wax and grease remover. (do not let it dry on the caliper, wipe off when still wet).

Then follow directions on the can, use an etch primer if advised.

Follow up with a clear coat if you wish.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would remove the whole caliper and the degrease it. Then spray it

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Is it hard to get the caliper off and back on again? They have to be mounted in the exact same position, don't they?
Also, what about the brake cable? Where does that rest if you remove the entire caliper? Because I believe that it's not supposed to have any weight on it...
Old 15-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I recently used a P.O.R. 15 brand brake caliper paint kit, and it was excellent with cleaner, surface prep, tape, gloves, foam brushes, and ceramic based paint included

It didn't require the removal of the caliper, simply using masking tape (provided) to mask of those parts you didn't want painted, and then painting on prep, then paint (two coats) with foam brushes.

I was really happy with the result
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

Last edited by melbzetec; 15-02-2008 at 11:24 PM.
melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I recently used a P.O.R. 15 brand brake caliper paint kit, and it was excellent with cleaner, surface prep, and ceramic based paint included

It didn't require the removal of the caliper, simply using masking tape (provided) to mask of those parts you didn't want painted, and then painting on prep, then paint (two coats) with foam brushes.

I was really happy with the result

Where'd you buy the kit from?
Old 16-02-2008, 11:54 AM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Try here:

http://www.ppc.au.com/where1.htm
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post