Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Default How hard is it, really?

Just rang a place to get a quote for a replacement transmission.
That was an convoluted and infuriating phone call.

Them Can't give quotes.
Me But I want a T5 manual for my car under exchange basis if they do that.
Them Nope sorry can't do that.
Me I said fine can I have a new one no exchange.
Them "If you can find a new one I'll take six" he says.
Me No I mean a replacement one.
Them No we take yours on exchange strip and quote.
Me You just said you don't do exchange.
Them We need to strip yours down first and then we know how much it is.
Me But you don't give quotes. Can I just buy one of the ones sitting on your shelf
Them HAHAHAHA ummm NO. We do secret work for Ford and we need your transmission.
Me But if its just a simple strip and repair and rebuild......oh forget it your making this too hard.

I hang up.

What the hell? My transmission works fine its just a little worn as in done 140,000ks I just want a new refurbished one. Is it that hard?

How do I get a rebuilt transmission in this town when people act like that?

Whats the usual procedure to get a transmission swap done in a day? Those people would of taken weeks to do it.

:

Old 24-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MATEY ,got same problem trying to get POWER on to my block,RANG 5 local electricians ,(NO ONE RANG BACK ),rang all 5 a week later,(still to busy),rang all 5 again another week later,(still no one rings me back ),its been over 4 WEEKS now ,(running the genertor is getting a bit dear),BUT STILL HAVE NOT HEARD FROM ANYONE (WTF),TRADIES TODAY ,think they have MONOPOLY ON THE MARKET
BAD NEWS FOR THEM !!!!!,RING around different transmision places ,FIND A GOOD ONE,and give them your hard earned cash,obviously the other place earns to much MONEY,OR doesnt know what there TALKING about !!!!! GOOD LUCK
Old 24-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Why not get a T5Z from Malwoods?
Old 24-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Why not get a T5Z from Malwoods?
Thanks I might just do that.

I forgot to add he did say to me anyone who can give a quote is lying or shonky in some way.
Old 24-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
stevepet

Have you tried any of the site sponsors? Support those who support us

Steve
Old 24-11-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

What town?
Old 24-11-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Ring these guys. They won't stuff you around.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place...74894261233491

Talk is cheap - freight is even cheaper.

Oo\===/oO
Old 24-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #8
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I'm in Perth.
I'll try Malwoods. They seem to tailor the gearbox to the application. Who knows might get a 6 speed out of it.
Old 24-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Anyone who refuses to give a quote and talks to the person like that is shonky and dishonest. Why so hard to get a gearbox don't they want your money?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 24-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Out of curiosity how do you quote reconditioning a transmission without inspecting it first?

They probably have a reconditioned one on the shelf at all times but need a swap over to maintain that stock. The cost of the swap over trans will vary depending on the condition (read cost to repair) of yours...

Old 24-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Out of curiosity how do you quote reconditioning a transmission without inspecting it first?

They probably have a reconditioned one on the shelf at all times but need a swap over to maintain that stock. The cost of the swap over trans will vary depending on the condition (read cost to repair) of yours...

I understand that completely. He should of said exactly that over the phone but he had to go out of his way to be rude.
I didn't want mine reconditioned I just wanted another one. But he only does swap overs which initially he said he didn't do. :togo: He laughed when I said can I just buy one from you outright.

What if the one on the shelf cost only $50 to recondition but he charges you the price of what yours would cost to recondition. Then say mine cost him $500 to recondition does he sell that at a higher price to the next guy that comes in and his only costs $50 to condition? Chicken and the egg there.
Old 24-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #12
T3man
Banned

Sorry mate, can't help you in Perth. However, Bratten's Performance may recommend someone for you. They don't do boxes them selves AFAIK but they have a very good rep and might be able to help you out. Tell them they came recommended from AFF because they like to look after people on the sites that they sponsor.
Old 24-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
I understand that completely. He should of said exactly that over the phone but he had to go out of his way to be rude.
I didn't want mine reconditioned I just wanted another one. But he only does swap overs which initially he said he didn't do. :togo: He laughed when I said can I just buy one from you outright.

What if the one on the shelf cost only $50 to recondition but he charges you the price of what yours would cost to recondition. Then say mine cost him $500 to recondition does he sell that at a higher price to the next guy that comes in and his only costs $50 to condition? Chicken and the egg there.
No!!! so if your box costs $1500 to fix should he charge you only $50 because that's all the shelf box cost to fix and the next bloke $1500 because that's what yours cost?
Look at it this way, he has to buy the first box and recondition it at his cost, weather thats $50 or $1500 it doesnt matter, he owns it.
You come along for a swap over, he has 2 options, a) do a swap sight unseen and charge you full reco price to cover his butt if yours is shagged, or b) asses yours and only charge you what it costs to fix yours and give himself back a fully reco'd box on his shelf.
You're far better off going by plan b), especially if your box is in good cond.
The shelf unit is there for your convenience, it saves you the time between assessing yours and rebuilding it.
I do agree though he probably could have explained his position better.

Last edited by 4Vman; 24-11-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 24-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Yeah I think I will got to BPT and ask them what they can do for me.
They have done my tuning in the past and a few other mods and were very quick in the turn around.

I see your point 4Vman. I can't really afford to be off the road for more than a day but I may not have a choice. Thanks for explaining it.
Old 24-11-2009, 10:49 PM   #15
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Last time i was at BPT, they had just replaced a 4spd auto with a 5spd manual in a BA xr6 turbo....took 2 or 3 days all up i think...dont really remember the details...but i know they can do it (or they can outsource the job to someone who knows how to and they can setup the tune etc)
Old 25-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #16
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
No!!! so if your box costs $1500 to fix should he charge you only $50 because that's all the shelf box cost to fix and the next bloke $1500 because that's what yours cost?
Look at it this way, he has to buy the first box and recondition it at his cost, weather thats $50 or $1500 it doesnt matter, he owns it.
You come along for a swap over, he has 2 options, a) do a swap sight unseen and charge you full reco price to cover his butt if yours is shagged, or b) asses yours and only charge you what it costs to fix yours and give himself back a fully reco'd box on his shelf.
You're far better off going by plan b), especially if your box is in good cond.
The shelf unit is there for your convenience, it saves you the time between assessing yours and rebuilding it.
I do agree though he probably could have explained his position better.
ok that seems all good but whats stopping them from ripping you blind once they have your gearboxes guts all over their bench. he comes out and tells you that it was on its last legs so you will now have to cover the full rebuild cost which could be anywhere up to around $2500.
so now your box is sitting on his bench everywhere and you've only got $1500 in your pocket so now he puts your box back together throws it back in the car and hits you for $500 in labour or you borrow the money for it any way you can cause he knows you wont go through all that crap to put the same box back in your car and be out of pocket.

theres no way i get anything done without a quote if you don't you don't have a leg to stand on when you get the bill and even if its just to find out roughly how much it costs because i do have to ask so i can see if i can afford it?
Old 25-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Curious to know what Mel would say ??
http://www.malwoodauto.com.au/
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 25-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm58
ok that seems all good but whats stopping them from ripping you blind once they have your gearboxes guts all over their bench. he comes out and tells you that it was on its last legs so you will now have to cover the full rebuild cost which could be anywhere up to around $2500.
so now your box is sitting on his bench everywhere and you've only got $1500 in your pocket so now he puts your box back together throws it back in the car and hits you for $500 in labour or you borrow the money for it any way you can cause he knows you wont go through all that crap to put the same box back in your car and be out of pocket.

theres no way i get anything done without a quote if you don't you don't have a leg to stand on when you get the bill and even if its just to find out roughly how much it costs because i do have to ask so i can see if i can afford it?
That's fine, but it still doesnt change the fact that you cant quote a reco till you've got the thing apart can you!!!

Old 25-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GENERALLY, i get three quotes for any job (price variation scares you ),if the bloke who recos boxes or exchanges boxes for a livin cant give you a quote,(exact or ball park figure ),he should not be in BUSINESS!!!!!!, as for drive in drive out in a day TUFF CALL
GOOD LUCK
Old 25-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerida67
GENERALLY, i get three quotes for any job (price variation scares you ),if the bloke who recos boxes or exchanges boxes for a livin cant give you a quote,(exact or ball park figure ),he should not be in BUSINESS!!!!!!, as for drive in drive out in a day TUFF CALL
GOOD LUCK
So worst case scenario if a box needed new gear clusters, syncro's, bearings etc was $1500 or just synchro's and a clean up was $250 you'd be happy hearing that as an indicative price guide/quote?
Gearboxes are complicated difficult beasts, you really need to get them open to know what's going on and what's needed...

Old 25-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #21
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Site sponsor FTG has a 6 speed manual as a conversion from 5 speed for about $2700, seems a good deal. Says its only 2-3 hours job.
Old 25-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #22
T3man
Banned

It's not that hard to quote a gearbox/diff repair. The bearings and seals are known cost; labour is known cost. I've never had a problem explaining to a customer that to R&R the box (or diff) and replace all bearings and seals and new oil is a fixed cost of $xxx. "Now sir, once we pull it down; if we find the syncros or any gears/shafts etc need attention we will get you in and show you the parts and get a quote to you for the job." I've found that 90% of the time it is only 2nd and 5th gear syncros need doing and the extra cost for that is not going to scare anyone to death.

So I agree ... "how hard is it really?"
Old 25-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AS T3 MAN said ,if you know wat your
"TALKING ABOUT OR KNOW YOUR BUSINEESS"
then giving some sort of ESTIMATION is not HARD
Old 25-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #24
macca13

How can he tell if the synchro's are worn or ok to use again or that the bearing noise is just a bearing worn out or the housing worn out. Say he does give you a quote without stripping it and then finds the box is shagged and the repair cost has doubled the cries of "Name and shame" on the forum would last for 4 pages. T3 man has the right idea but the cost is still not known when the box is stripped down and what happens if the customer tells you he can't pay that much to fix the gearbox. At the very least the mechanic was honest enough to tell you the truth instead of just what you wanted to hear.
Old 25-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

I think its been sorted macca13 with the above posts but thanks for your input.
Honest maybe but I don't think so, he contradicted himself several times. A deposit could of been given and then refunded if the gearbox isn't shagged completely.

Either way he got no business from me. I just wanted to vent from that phone call.

MODS PLEASE LOCK THIS UP.
Old 25-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

OP requested lock
Closed Thread