Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default '300' the Movie

Check this Movie out guys.

From all accounts it is absolutely awesome and a must see. In Australia starting April 9. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

There are a lot of great reviews already.

It's like a cross between 'Gladiator' and 'Lord of the Rings', based on Frank Miller's graphic 5 part 'Dark Horse' comic series "300".

The movie is about the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae, where the King of Sparta led his 300 men against the Persians.

The screen shots and trailers look awesome.

Here's the official site:

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

IMDb have got some good write ups on it too.

Anyone heard anything else about it ?

Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Ive seen some screens / articles. It looks pretty nuts, espcially that thing with claws for hands.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

i found this review LOLOLOL i cant wait to see it!

I just saw a movie that’ll give your eyes boners, make your balls scream and make you poop DVD copies of THE TRANSPORTER. It’s called 300. I don’t know what the title has to do with the movie, but they could’ve called it KITTENS MAKING CANDLES and it’d still rule.

It’s about these 300 Greek dudes who stomp the sugar-coated **** out of like a million other dudes. I have a feeling that a lot of high school sports coaches are going to show this film to their teams before they play. Also, gay dudes and divorced women are going to use screen captures for computer wallpaper.

The movie takes place about a million years ago, and it’s sort of like a prequel to SIN CITY. Except way less guns and cars but twice as much skull splitting. If you watch this movie and go into a Taco Bell, and say to the cashier, “I need some extra sauce packets” guess what? You’re getting twenty sauce packets because your face will punch him in the brain.

I can’t spoil the plot because THANK GOD THERE ISN’T ONE. Just *** kicking that kicks *** that, while said *** is getting kicked, is kicking yet more *** that’s hitting someone’s balls with a hammer made of ice but the ice is frozen whiskey.

TWO COOL THINGS ABOUT THE MOVIE AND ONE THING I DIDN’T LIKE:

COOL THING ONE:
HEAVY METAL DURING BATTLE SCENES

Who gives a **** if the music isn’t historically correct? LORD OF THE RINGS could’ve used some Journey. This movie has that chu-CHUNG kind of metal that you hear in your head when your shift supervisor at Wetzel’s Pretzel is telling you that you’ll have to stay for clean up and you wish you had a sock filled with quarters in your hand.

COOL THING TWO:
FOES, MINI-BOSSES AND A BIG BOSS

Basically, the Greek dudes are fighting these Persian dudes, but the director, who must have a dick made of three machine guns, does it all like a video game. The Greeks fight every death metal video from the last ten years. There’s wave after wave of giants, freaks, ninjas, mutants, wizards, and a hunchback who looks like he’s got Rosie O’Donnell on his back.

Would I have been happy if Dom DeLuise from HISTORY OF THE WORLD, PART I had shown up? Maybe, but this movie more than makes up for that glaring oversight.

NOT SO GOOD THING:
DUDE NUDITY (“DUDE-ITY”)

These are Greek times, when there were a lot of naked women around. And there are some naked women in this film, but almost every naked woman scene has a muscular dude giving the screen an *** picnic. Dude-ity is something directors put in their movies so people will think they’re serious, I guess, and not just throwing in naked hotties.

Any directors reading this – IT’S OKAY TO JUST THROW IN NAKED HOTTIES.

Can’t someone make a movie about naked Amazons and call it PAUSE BUTTON?

My final analysis is 300 the most ***-ruling movie I’ve seen this year, and will probably be the King of 2007 unless someone makes a movie where a pair of sentient boobs fights a werewolf.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^hahaha, gold.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yeah I read that review and laughed my head off !!!

I've gotta say I haven't seen as many exciting reviews about a film this early on - it's getting me exciting.

Here's one that a little more serious from a member at IMDb.

Can't I give it more than a 10?,

11 February 2007

Author: EDI5289 from California, USA

"I was among the non-press people who got to see a pre-screening of this film in Los Angeles and it is unlike anything I've ever seen on film before. Stunning, awesome, amazing, incredible - the superlatives continue to flow as I think about the impact of this film.

First, visually it is eye-popping and the kudos heaped on Zack Snyder are well-deserved. It is very artistic with a unique look but it is never cartoonish. This is a breakout film for Zack, and should also be for Gerard Butler as King Leonidas, catapulting him into the higher echelons of Hollywood royalty. Admittedly, I've been a fan of Butler's for more than a couple of years now, but when this film was first announced I wasn't so sure it was "my cuppa tea". Then I saw the footage at Comic Con last summer and became excited.

But even that didn't prepare me to be so blown away as I was by the film in its entirety. Butler's Leonidas dominates, and gives us a very multi-dimensional king whose love for his country, his soldiers, his son, his Queen and his freedom is enormous and the driving force in all he does. Lena Heady's Queen Gorgo is one of the best kick-*** parts for an actress I've seen in a long time. She is a perfectly matched complement and full and equal partner to her king. More than once I found myself cheering out loud for her. She makes sacrifices on the home front, to gain support for her husband's battlefield pursuits, that are just as heart wrenching as those her King makes.

The other Spartans, David Wenham's Dilios the storyteller, Vincent Regan's Captain, Michael Fassbender's Stelios, all contribute important dimensions in illustrating what makes these men such an elite fighting force. There are many battle scenes, but they never drag on endlessly. Each is compact and efficient, and there are even moments of humor scattered among the severed heads and limbs. The violence is very stylized, reminiscent of V for Vendetta, and didn't make me turn away. The soundtrack is fantastic, with loud, heavy metal during battle scenes and more in the background at other moments.

There are some lines in this film that should become oft repeated classics - "This...is...SPARTA!!" is only one of those. March 9 cannot come soon enough for me, because I can't wait to see this on the IMAX screen.

This is a NOT TO BE MISSED film for men, women, Frank Miller fans, Star Wars fans, LOTR fans (but not children - it definitely earned its R rating). To those who fault the historical inaccuracies, neither Zack Snyder nor Frank Miller ever intended this to be a documentary on Greek or Spartan history.

It is a fantasy story based on an event that really happened, call it "History Meets Middle Earth" intended to entertain, not educate. I hope it can be viewed from that perspective by others, and maybe it will inspire some who see "300" to study the truth behind the fantasy. "
Old 09-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Cant say ive ever Heard Leonidas called a "dude" before lol
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

yeah looks good ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:47 PM   #8
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

I might give it a look when it hits DVD, or Foxtel....otherwise.......

Don't get me wrong, looks like a good movie, but VERY Hollywood......very little realism.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would love for them to make an accurate account of the story but I suppose it would never be the same as this comic. The movie looks awsome. I have known about it for ages now and I can't wait to see this.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #10
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
I would love for them to make an accurate account of the story but I suppose it would never be the same as this comic. The movie looks awsome. I have known about it for ages now and I can't wait to see this.
Yeah I saw the original 1962 version as a kid on TV "The 300 Spartans" with Richard Egan. I've also seen that one on DVD.

This has a 'Sin City' spin to it I guess.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #11
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Yeah I saw the original 1962 version as a kid on TV "The 300 Spartans" with Richard Egan. I've also seen that one on DVD.

This has a 'Sin City' spin to it I guess.

Whats the 1962 version like?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
Whats the 1962 version like?
Pretty lame by today's standards probably....but I must check it out again sometime.

It's a 60's "sword and sandle" epic. But I thought it was great when I was a kid.

This one although probably more of a 'stylised comic' version will have great effects I think & some brilliant action too.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
3vXT

not sure if i'll go see the movie or not but the guy that did the first review should do the movie reviews on sunrise or something.

i didn't think whisky would freeze ???
(going to try make whisky ice hammer)
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM   #14
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

LOTR was the most boring movie I have ever seen in my life...its the ONLY ever film I have stopped halfway through and not watched the rest......this film looks ok...but too Holywood-ised, as someon said above...
Old 10-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #15
anto
Za Dom spremni

are you kidding..what makes it so cool is that it doesnt look anything like a Hollywood film much in the same way as Sin city broke the rules . Films like Gladiator and Troy were very "hollywood" and cheesy... Every shot I in the trailer/s looks like a piece of art, this will be a visual feast if nothing else.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #16
Mickus
Banned

I'm liking the fact that it actually has metal in its soundtrack! I cant wait for this movie! creaming my pants in anticipation!
Mickus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #17
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anto
are you kidding..what makes it so cool is that it doesnt look anything like a Hollywood film much in the same way as Sin city broke the rules . Films like Gladiator and Troy were very "hollywood" and cheesy... Every shot I in the trailer/s looks like a piece of art, this will be a visual feast if nothing else.
Just downloaded the 49 mb trailer it's freaking awesome !!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:00 PM   #18
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every Greek i know is salivating at this movie.

looks ok.

Now we need a good Roman one.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #19
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Every Greek i know is salivating at this movie.

looks ok.

Now we need a good Roman one.

There are hundreds of roman ones lol. Being halR greek I hope this movie takes us away from the crap we copped because of Alexander lol. He was Maso anyway.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:35 PM   #20
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good modern Roman one.
Where we see the Legions fight.

Gladiator was ok.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #21
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
A good modern Roman one.

Gladiator was ok.
I loved Gladiator and I also liked Troy. They were both very Holywood but I don't care lol
Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=MethodX]A good modern Roman one.

Gladiator 2 is in the planning stage, Russel is in it. Not sure how, as he died !!
But thats Hollywood.!!!
Yes, Russell Crowe can be a total jackass, but I still contend he is probably the best actor in the business today. Now the man is talking about a Gladiator 2. But you may ask yourself "How the hell can they do a Gladiator 2 when Maximus dies a the end of the first one?". Ahhh... a fine question my friend.

Crowe is saying the draft script deals in the metaphysical and that Maximus is actually dead. Hmmm... I don't know about that. On the one hand you could delve a little into ancient Roman mythology here and come up with something interesting... but on the other hand it seems like a bit of a desperate stretch.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #23
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Well, I hope 300 is actually any good, cause Sin City was woeful.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 02:12 PM   #24
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can't remember If maximus is actually checked if he was dead. Maybe the movie may make it look like it was a cover up and he is some villiage worker and returns to be the gladiator again lol. Or he appears in the movie as a ghost and helps some other gladiator or My favourite the Gods grant him immortal and he goes around Rome slaughtering the wicked.
Old 13-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #25
Simmo
White Lightning

i've been hanging out for this movie since i saw the trailer on foxtel late last year. i LOVED Sin City, mostly for not being the same cloned hollywood crap, but also for being so stylized and having such extreme but easy to connect with characters. This almost seems like a continuation. similar style, similar gore level and to many of the uneducated, similar extreme characters. The 40 second trailer i saw was enough to goosebump the back of my neck for a while and when i finally saw the longer version on youtube about 1.5 months ago i've had the release date in my planner. movies like this bring up an energy from within me that i'm sure you could liken to speed or hardcore adrenaline. makes my brain fire snap, crackle and pop and my arms twitch up. to enjoy 300 you will simply have to give up any anal retentive qualities for 2-3 hours and let the thing wash over you. put any critical parts of your brain in stasis and let the 'holy **** that was cool' bit take over.

EDIT: anyone who doesnt like heavy metal during battles is silently suffering. i listen to techno, but nothing beats thrashing guitars for the soundtrack to thrashing souls.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #26
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

'Hear, Hear' Simmo
Old 13-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #27
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaNob!
Well, I hope 300 is actually any good, cause Sin City was woeful.
I thought Sin City was awesome!! A mate in the US has seen 300 and called us after to say how good it was.. I can't wait to see this!!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #28
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Grossed $70 million on the weekend in the US.

The movie cost $60 million.

The producers must be loving it !! Great reviews from almost everyone also..
Old 14-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #29
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Must be up on torrents by now as it screened in the US on the 9th of March. Cant wait till I get home from work...
Old 14-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #30
Simmo
White Lightning

yeh theres a couple on torrent but both are crappy CAM releases. i hate watching those.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post