Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
phildee

Default Which transmission fluid is best?

After fitting an auto cooler today and finding my oil pretty much black ill probably do a full change in the next few weeks.

Are any brands of auto fluid better than others or should i just get whatever is cheaper?

Cheers, Phil

phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
After fitting an auto cooler today and finding my oil pretty much black ill probably do a full change in the next few weeks.

Are any brands of auto fluid better than others or should i just get whatever is cheaper?

Cheers, Phil
I'm sure there will many opinions on this, as heaps of guys do their transmission services themselves.

I don't myself, but if I did, I would just ensure that the fluid meets the factory specs.

All the best with it.

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

95LE Ford 4-speed auto fluid is the only "type" of fluid that should be used.
Brand ... well ... everytime I get mine done at Crescent Motorsport ... they always use Gulf Western in the plastic drums ... that's the only brand I have ever used.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

I did a full service on mine when put in stall and cooler and used the castrol TQ95 and mines a BTR97 but their all the same, or you can use the full sythetic one which i think from mem is called transmax z its in a silver bottle but costs heaps, just service more offen i say.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

One thing i did notice is that with my shift kit now even on the lowest shift its still smooth but quick whereas before it was a bit rough and my oil was still red but must have broken down, oh and first gear whine is almost impossible to hear but i did a complete dryfill. hope it helps.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
I did a full service on mine when put in stall and cooler and used the castrol TQ95 and mines a BTR97 but their all the same, or you can use the full sythetic one which i think from mem is called transmax z its in a silver bottle but costs heaps, just service more offen i say.
TQ95 is fine ... just don't use Dextron III ATF ... otherwise you'll be needing a new gearbox ... for some reason it turns to treacle in Ford gearboxes and kills them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post