Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 
Default Audi S3 owners - I want your experience

hey all,

I'm hoping a member with one of these cars, or someone with genuine experience having owned one previously, can tell me about their experience with it.

Is it as great a little package as what I think it is?

Is the build quality more than just panel and trim deep so to speak?

Is maintenance related items much more expensive than FPV?

I am in the market for another vehicle and S3 sits at the very top of the contenders so far. We've consisdered the Focus XR5, VW R32, Beemer 1 series, Mondeo XR5, and the Merc two door. No consideration given to Sub or Mitsu offerings, don't want an EVO or Rex.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

looks like we'll place an order later today unless something really really horrible comes out of the left field.....

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I cant give any first hand experience but those R32's look and sound great, that would be my choice. Have you driven them all?

/useless post
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven/tested the last few variants of the S3 (and all cars listed here). IMO the steering is dull and lifeless (like most Audi). The rest of the car is brilliant, but at the pointy price end of the market.

Servicing costs? No idea, as I have never had to service one, nor an FPV unfortunately.

A mate of mine loves S3s and has owned three. And a few of my friends mums have owned them too. No mechanical problems. Anecdotally I can confirm that mechanically you should have bugger all hassles with them. Trim etc stays in good rattle-free condition... I only have experience with up to 100,000km.

Shame you don't consider the Mitsu option. Evo still one of the greatest cars on the road.

Mondeo XR5, I hated it. Sluggish, heavy, boat like steering. Clumsy car.
Focus XR5 was great. Tight like prom night.

R32 Golf: Don't waste your money. Get the GTi if you want to go down the VW path. The R32 feels heavy on the road and the GTi is a lot more fun. Build quality would be about the same.

BMW 135i is one of the best cars on the road! Brilliant. If I had the money, I'd be putting the GF in one for sure. Other than the fact the thing has a BMW badge, I can't fault it.

Merc? Don't bother. Boring. Slow. Uninspired.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Chopped
as in chopped

It's an Audi, expect to pay through the nose for everything related to it !!
(Not specifically S3 related but plenty of stories of Audi gearboxes going boom)

Apart from that...very classy/sporty car indeed.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Not pouring fuel here but the top gear lads reckon Audi's are for tools.
Are you not looking at a G6E or G6ET? 09 plated ones are going cheap.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

From the sounds of the cars he has looked into I think the small-mid car size is what he is after CFOUR. G6ET too big!

Go for the S3 - i think the DSG is the best box out there from all reports.

Edit: a good way to save money when replacing any common parts (when out of warranty of course) is to substitue the Audi parts for comparable VW or Skoda parts. Many ppl are doing this in Europe
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

drove an 03" for 4 months and had a 06" as a drive car for about 2 weeks, both were tight as a drum with over 50K on the clock each, every switch worked and felt new.

only ever heard about turbo's being expensive to replace and brake pads/rotors need to be done at the same time, which is a fairly exxy 40/50K service, correct me if I'm wrong but Audi used to do fixed price servicing on its A3/A4 range so perhaps the S3 fits into that as well?

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Tex, from experience..if I were you I would run, not walk, the other way.
If you want specifics PM.
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Whats perhaps more important to know is what is the car being used for? Mrs Tex? A get around car, something else to hit the track in? :

Changes the answers, id still stick with the VW if it was a "run about".

The BMW is the best but $$$$, Audi's are nice, but thats about it, Focus is a nice car and the mondeo you would only consider if you need boot space; which then rules out the previous cars.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Not pouring fuel here but the top gear lads reckon Audi's are for tools.
Are you not looking at a G6E or G6ET? 09 plated ones are going cheap.
Which top gear lad?

The tall one who writes columns for regional newspapers and behaves is a very Kyle Sandilandesque manor?
The woolly headed one nicknamed Captain Slow who makes documentaries on weird things?
The one that looks up to Grant Denyer and Kylie Minogue and hosts children's afternoon entertainment?

What does Paris Hilton think of them? Hot? or not... Surely her opinion is important, she is a media tart who has driven some expensive cars....

Couldn't be the Australian Top Gear lads, they said the Audi they tested (R8) was incredible and the most fun you could have with your clothes on.

Audi make very good cars, I would buy a TTRS or R8 in a second (if I could afford it)......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #11
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Blimey, there's some mixed opinions in here.

I keep the GT, the wife drives the new one.

It will be her daily, and every now and then, i will do a Supersprint in it, just to rest up the GT a little.

Owned several Rexes, hence never again, don't like EVO, still too cheap on the inside and every 18yo reckons they're awsome....

wanted a bit of brand cred with this one, good build quality, while remaining subtle to stay under the radar. but it had to go hard, and mid 5's to 100 for the S3 will do for a girls car, won't it?

Loved the XR5T, buit slow, and considering the S3 is actually an option - would you buy one over the Audi. Not me.

They really, reallly want to sell us a S3! The RR nearly made me vomit, but damn, there's some room in that! Just mention the B word, you know, the one followed by M & W, and slash, out comes the knife on the price.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
4dlvr
4dlvr

cant say much for the other cars but if it were me i i would toss a coin between BMW 135i and the xr5..

they both have the very same great attributes about them, great torque everywhere, great to drive, good looking, great build quality..

personally if i had the extra $$ i would go the bmw with out a thought,
test drive these two at the very least
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg's GT
Tex, from experience..if I were you I would run, not walk, the other way.
If you want specifics PM.

Hi mate, spill the beans!

i take it you managed to acquire a car that turned lemon????

please explain.

Thanks in advance

tex

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tex I really wish I was able to let you take my XR5 for a spin, they are honetly brilliant cars.

You mentioned you loved them but are a bit slow? for ~$700 that can be fixed with a dreamscience unit.

They are massively held back from factory (torque limiting etc) and having a dreamscience map running takes that out, plus of course gives it a bit more boost.

From factory they run lean as buggery (euro4) so this also fixes that without adding too much more to the fuel usage bill.

PM me if you want some more info mate.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
STHSV8

I have a mate who has owned two S3's over the years as well as A4 turbo quattros and BMW's and he states that the S3's were by far the most fun cars he has driven.
STHSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #16
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr
cant say much for the other cars but if it were me i i would toss a coin between BMW 135i and the xr5..

they both have the very same great attributes about them, great torque everywhere, great to drive, good looking, great build quality..

personally if i had the extra $$ i would go the bmw with out a thought,
test drive these two at the very least

ya know the 135i is an 80k car....

You reckon that's comparable to the XR5T?

Ford would be flattered.

I didn't like the Beemer, even smaller that an S3 sportback.

The XR5T, yes I would own one of these, I was very very impressed by apparent the build quality

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
tex
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Tex I really wish I was able to let you take my XR5 for a spin, they are honetly brilliant cars.

You mentioned you loved them but are a bit slow? for ~$700 that can be fixed with a dreamscience unit.

They are massively held back from factory (torque limiting etc) and having a dreamscience map running takes that out, plus of course gives it a bit more boost.

From factory they run lean as buggery (euro4) so this also fixes that without adding too much more to the fuel usage bill.

PM me if you want some more info mate.

I hope I didn't offend you mate!

I say 'slow' very loosely, they have ample power for what they are imo, and I enjoyed the car a lot. If we were in the market for a 40k top dollar spend, the XR5T wins hands down on anything else available for $$$$.

I reckon they are a good little car, don't for a moment think I didn't dig what they have to offer.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Tex the S3 is a great little car.

Only thing I don't like in them is the interior. S5 was much nicer.

This one went like stink at the last circuit club meet (it's had a few mods):

5.4 GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #19
Meg's GT's
1 is good but 2 is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex
Hi mate, spill the beans!

i take it you managed to acquire a car that turned lemon????

please explain.

Thanks in advance

tex
Son-in-law has one and in 2yrs it's cost near $10k in parts and repairs. Parts at trade prices, labour done at minimal cost....rear diff, timing belt, water pump, coil packs, brakes, headlight globes (from audi $200+ each) and numerous other parts...a long list.
Just keep in mind that genuine parts are well......well you may as well hand over your first born.
Yes you will save somewhat using VW(depending on whats gone wrong with the car) but in no way will you come off lightly with either option. Once the k's start creeping up then expect to put your hand in your pocket regularly.
Audi do a 10yr paint warranty, which you may or may not need.
Meg's GT's is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #20
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Just passed a silver mondeo xr5t and it looked awsome.
Is the 1 series BMW rear wheel drive?
Old 09-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #21
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

yes the 1 series bmw is RWD
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #22
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Just passed a silver mondeo xr5t and it looked awsome.
Is the 1 series BMW rear wheel drive?

All BMW are rear wheel drive except X series which are AWD. They only have FWD in Mini, nothing badged as BMW.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #23
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
All BMW are rear wheel drive except X series which are AWD. They only have FWD in Mini, nothing badged as BMW.
Thanks gecko I thought as much just thought I check before running my mouth.

In short Tex if you want to run the occasional sprint go awd or rwd. Front wheel drive is less fun.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

As has been said Tex service and parts for the R32 Golf and S3 are going to be astronomical to say the least. A member just bought an S3 he is in the ORSM ford area IIRC but as ud know if you cant afford to service and look after the car then you cant afford the car.
Build quality is fantastic with both cars though
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #25
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bmw and PSA to build a front-wheel-drive 1-Series

2010 Bmw 1-SeriesThe joint venture of BMW and PSA Peugeot Citroën is set to extend operations to include a new small car platform, which will likely be used to create a front-wheel-drive 1-Series and the next generation of Minis.

BMW and PSA are already engaged in the joint design and production of four-pot engines for Mini and PSA models but the two companies are now preparing a deal to build a new modular front-wheel drive platform. The structure that they have planned supports the next-generation Mini range, including successors to the Citroën C3 and C4, Peugeot 308 and the upcoming Peugeot 208. Continued after the jump!

A BMW source reveals that the duo had wanted to extend their joint venture operations. He says that ultimately, a decision was made for BMW to build on the relationship with Peugeot. The details of the decision are set to be made public early next year.

The largest hurdle is related to the platform’s use in the 1-series. It’s speculated that future incarnations of the 1-Series would be on the same basic structure as the 2013 Mini. A BMW source had disclosed that discussions continue on whether BMW should break with the tradition of rear and four-wheel-drive cars.

The source said that this is one subject that the company is not eager to take up but then the company has to be realistic with the targets it has set for fuel consumption and emissions, and as such, these targets prefer a front-wheel-drive solution for 2018.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:50 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
As has been said Tex service and parts for the R32 Golf and S3 are going to be astronomical to say the least.
Yeh brake rotors will cost you over $4000, brake pads over $2000, foglight bulb $120 and a simple plastic centre for your wheel over $100.

Oops sorry that is FPV, my mistake.......
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh brake rotors will cost you over $4000, brake pads over $2000, foglight bulb $120 and a simple plastic centre for your wheel over $100.

I wonder if they showed the new buyer the list of prices of 'consumables' for FPV's when signing, would they still buy?
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 PM   #28
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

You are probably right but anyone who pays 4g for rotors and even more so 2g for brake pads on an FPV is an absolute DH!
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my close mates owns an Audi S3 and I can't say anything really bad about it. If anything, they are pretty dull/lifeless to drive, but I don't consider my XR8 to be particularly exhilarating either (unlike some of my previous older euro cars) yet I still love it.

His has been chipped by a company called APR who also did his intake and exhaust. It moves very well for such a small car, beat the pants of practically anything the same size (though it is a much more expensive car to begin with compared to the likes of a XR5 or any other more affordable hot hatches). Actually, I think the Golf GTIs have the same engine in them, only thing is they are FWD rather than AWD. Still a cheaper way to get into a nice, zippy car though.

He has owned his since about 60,000km, he has thrashed the guts out of it on a daily basis, used to make me feel like crying, now it has 160,000 km on it and it has only just needed a new clutch, just this week as a matter of fact. He even took it out onto a paddock one night and tried to get some 4 wheel drifting happening, this is a car that has had a hard life.

I had a chance to drive it not too long ago, it still feels as tight as anything, the interior at 160,000 is still fantastic, as new even. I really think German cars are dull, even if they're quick, but I can't deny the reliability that I have seen from my friends S3.
nipper575 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I wonder if they showed the new buyer the list of prices of 'consumables' for FPV's when signing, would they still buy?
So true.....

But then how much is a genuine FG Falcon oil filter?

As far as the servicing costs of Euros and "only a DH would buy genuine FPV parts", my little brother drives a 7 series BMW.

His service costs were insane until he found a mechanic who specialised in BMW and grey imported genuine and NG parts.

His costs now are about the same as a falcon or commodore.