Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Rosscco

Default spoilers

You know, I always thought AU's needed boot spoilers, but the longer I spend with my new Fairmont, the more I like the no spoiler look.

Rosscco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 02:00 AM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: spoilers

it all comes down to taste. personally I feel an AU looks incomplete without a spoiler the rear is too "soft" looking

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Spoilers are so 2003

When I got my AU2 in 2006 (back when AU's weren't old!) we had a spoiler in the shed and my boss said to me 'that's yours!' and I was all 'no thanks!'.

All spoilers do is crack the fibreglass, decrease rear visibility and wreck your boot struts. Absolute wastes of time.

But hey, there's plenty of people on this forum that will do far stupider stuff to their cars in the effort of 'looks'.
Old 22-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #4
4ford

Smile Re: spoilers

I absolutely agree with AU3XR6 as far as the pure look of the spoiler...

Everytime I see a sedan without one, I think to myself how 'bare' they look!

I've had one on my AU2 since almost new (2001), and I've had no problems with rear visibility, or with the boot struts!

Though they are no use at all as far as 'spoilers' are concerned, they do absolutely add to the 'complete' look of the car.

Cheers
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #5
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah, I got one on mine to square the back up. Too round for my liking.

These days I look at the drivers of au's without spoilers and am pleased that I took the plunge (present company excepted, of course)...
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
All spoilers do is crack the fibreglass, decrease rear visibility and wreck your boot struts. Absolute wastes of time.
C'mon... Everyone needs a coffee table on their boot!
Old 22-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Easy equation.

XR/T = Spoiler

Lots of people go for the full kit with no spoiler and while its ok it just makes a T/XR look like a mock up or something. The kit needs it to finish off the look.

Hmm love the Full tickford kit with the bi-plane spoiler
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spoilers are so 2003

When I got my AU2 in 2006 (back when AU's weren't old!) we had a spoiler in the shed and my boss said to me 'that's yours!' and I was all 'no thanks!'.

But hey, there's plenty of people on this forum that will do far stupider stuff to their cars in the effort of 'looks'.
Well actaully in AU's the boot curves down so you cant see the end of it, spoiler means you can, but they dont block visibility at all.
Old 22-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

It all comes down to personal taste. I reckon the AU's curvaceous butt is not the eye sore alot of people make it out to be. It looks particularly nice in Ghia trim.

The beauty of the AU is that with anything other than the T3, or bi-plane spoilers (series 1 XR/series 2 Herrod) your rear view will still be unobscured.
Quote:
You forgot 'creates drag and increases fuel economy'
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #10
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I personally couldnt have one without a boot spoiler.. I dont like the AU back end without one at all.. Way too curvy.

Id luv to see if a BF/FG Typhoon or FG GT type spoiler would sit right on an AU bootlid..
FG GT rear spoiler looks a little more refined over the B series GT rear spoiler.. I found the B series ones are just at a not quite right height when looking out the back..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81
You forgot 'creates drag and increases fuel economy'
Oh true! Yes, unnecessary drag and increased fuel consumption.
Old 22-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #12
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Oh true! Yes, unnecessary drag and increased fuel consumption.
That's ok. The $1.50 per year is money well spent, lol
Old 22-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spoilers are so 2003

All spoilers do is crack the fibreglass, decrease rear visibility and wreck your boot struts.
genuine AU spoilers are plastis not fibreglass so not prone to cracking and most ( not all) after market ones are plastic too. I wouldn't have a glass spoiler after my experiences with a glass front

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 22-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Mr Hardware

the only AU's i've known with spoilers (my father in law's AU1 spak and my old classic) both had cracks. plastic aye, not much better.

i'm still firmly intrenched in camp 'spoilers sucked even back when they were cool a decade ago'
Old 22-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #15
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

250,000km or so and not one crack and still on original boot struts.
Old 22-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #16
aufalco
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
That's ok. The $1.50 per year is money well spent, lol
LOL

i gotta agree with putting spoilers on AUs

i personally am one of those who like the sleek curves of the AUs i fell in love with them when they first came out for that exact reason but with a butt like an AU has it just looks incomplete without a spoiler, even moreso if you have a body kit on it

front and rear bars on AUs are plastic as well and ive never seen or had any issues with them or the spoilers cracking ever unless someone has done something to them and you are meant to use the stronger boot struts for AUs with spoilers
aufalco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe someone used the spoiler as a boot handle ?
Old 22-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #18
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufalco
you are meant to use the stronger boot struts for AUs with spoilers
That be true.

I upgraded the boot struts after my wife "closed" the boot, shortly after putting the spoiler on.

If there's an issue with au spoilers cracking, maybe that's it. Certainly no problems with mine, thus far...
Old 22-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #19
aufalco
Alternator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Maybe someone used the spoiler as a boot handle ?
yeah one of my mates opens his that way religiously and everyone tries to do that with my AU when opening the boot too it has to be one of the most annoying things ever lol but ive still never seen one crack before from it
Old 22-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
Jimmyd
Banned

Personal preference is with spoiler, but then again mine came from factory with the Tickford kit..

Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #21
aufalco
Alternator

see, how can you not love that rear end ;)
i really like the pod insert things too on those kits either side of the rear wheels

great pic by the way jimmyd
Old 23-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #22
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

A friend of mine once said he thinks AU's without rear spoilers look like cockroaches..

That said, I must also say B series cars look rubbish without them aswell..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 12:46 PM   #23
mercury39

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
it all comes down to taste. personally I feel an AU looks incomplete without a spoiler the rear is too "soft" looking

While I agree they look better, I'll never put one on mine, if you've seen as many bolt on fittings as I have that over time create rust on the panel to which they are fitted you would give it a miss, some survive longer than others, depending on how well they're sealed by the fitter, but even these compounds shrink and break down over time allowing water to seep in, pre-drilled holes should always be primed/painted before fitting, typically roof racks bolted direct to roof turrets, they hold moisture under the gaskets, you won't always see rust signs until it's perforated thru the panel, then again this would be of no concern if you are fortunate enough to replace your vehicle every 3 or 4 years, it then becomes someone else's problem, the next owner is shocked to find what looks like minor rust stains turns out to be a very expensive repair, then again with the amount of AU's in wrecking yards you could always pick up a second hand boot lid, but if it needs to be colour matched, something like a metallic colour, your spoiler desire will cost you a few hundred dollars by the time you buy it and get it colour matched. if any of you remember the old cars with the chrome / anodised bolt on metal body mouldings, you should also remember those tell tale rust stain streaks running down from nearly every hole where the clip to moulding was fitted.
mercury39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #24
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Easy equation.

XR/T = Spoiler

Lots of people go for the full kit with no spoiler and while its ok it just makes a T/XR look like a mock up or something. The kit needs it to finish off the look.

Hmm love the Full tickford kit with the bi-plane spoiler
This.

Any other model not fitted with a kit looks far better without a spoiler IMO.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not an issue with mine as it is factory fitted but if retrofitting all you need is a bit of galmet in the holes as soon as you drill them this will stop rust from starting
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury39
While I agree they look better, I'll never put one on mine, if you've seen as many bolt on fittings as I have that over time create rust on the panel to which they are fitted you would give it a miss, some survive longer than others, depending on how well they're sealed by the fitter, but even these compounds shrink and break down over time allowing water to seep in, pre-drilled holes should always be primed/painted before fitting, typically roof racks bolted direct to roof turrets, they hold moisture under the gaskets, you won't always see rust signs until it's perforated thru the panel, then again this would be of no concern if you are fortunate enough to replace your vehicle every 3 or 4 years, it then becomes someone else's problem, the next owner is shocked to find what looks like minor rust stains turns out to be a very expensive repair, then again with the amount of AU's in wrecking yards you could always pick up a second hand boot lid, but if it needs to be colour matched, something like a metallic colour, your spoiler desire will cost you a few hundred dollars by the time you buy it and get it colour matched. if any of you remember the old cars with the chrome / anodised bolt on metal body mouldings, you should also remember those tell tale rust stain streaks running down from nearly every hole where the clip to moulding was fitted.

Rides:

Old 23-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ive never been a fan of spoilers. But found that without at least a series 1 bobtail spoiler on the back of my car it looked some what naked. I never liked the XR spoilers. To me, subtle bobtail style spoilers are a better option.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
aufalco
Alternator

i have to agree with that too blueoval, i much prefer the stealth look of the bobtail spoiler to the more agressive XR one

and im really not a fan of those biplane spoilers at all i think they just make it look way too overdone
Old 23-03-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
Rosscco

I agree that the cars with bodykits need a spoiler. Mine doesn't have a kit, and won't be getting one. It's just that when I got the car (5 weeks ago) I had planned on fitting a boot spoiler, or preferably buying a bootlid with a spoiler already fitted. However, I've gotten used to mine without one and think I can live without one.

Ross
Old 23-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #29
Rosscco

Hey blueoval, I've just started reading your build thread - nice car.

Ross
Old 24-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #30
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

i was gunna buy a ba xr6 rear spoiler for my au, but then i decided i like the spoilerless look. nice clean un obscured lines.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post