Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Holden Adventura SX8

Hi all

Did Holden ever produce a SX8 variant of the Adventura?

Reason i ask is there was talk of making it a Fleet/Police Pack model only.

I have never seen one and can't find much info.

Has anyone here owned or know anything about them?

Cheers in advance

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden Adventura SX8

Holden never produced Adventura of any kind - as for Adventra ,i only ever seen an LX8 which was a decent car if a bit heavy on fuel.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2016, 11:33 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have aged really well, still look good. Probably would of done better now than back in 2004.

I saw a police one and it had 16 inch steelies (not the standard 17 inch alloys) and a bull bar. No idea if it was a V8 though.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #4
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SX6 was the entry level, then you had CX6/8 and LX6/8.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 07:43 AM   #5
Sioso
irregular member

http://www.motoring.com.au/holden-vz...tra-2005-4757/

You may hear talk of a second V8 model (SX8), but it’s a police special and not available to the public at the time of writing.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...256FA500180BA9

A more utilitarian version, dubbed SX8 and developed for fleet customers including the police, will not be available to the public.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
Mainlube
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LX is the model I had,

has Calais interior, sun roof etc, big sub woofer in rear, leather seats etc std.

CX is a bare model without all the glam.

LX is worth bugger all now and still a good car, I can vouch for the drive line.

Standard is LS1, the V6 must be awful for power, over 2 ton standard.

Chuck a blower on and you have a stealth weapon.

Cheers

Steve
Mainlube 154 Synthetic Solid Boundary E P Gear Oil SAE 75w140 (diff)

www.Mainlube.com.au
Mainlube is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
SX6 was the entry level, then you had CX6/8 and LX6/8.
That only applies to the VZ series. There was no V6 AWD set-up available for the VY series. For VY they built the CX8 & LX8, plus an Police pack version of the CX8.

For VZ, the V6 AWD versions became available, so the range became SX6, CX6 & LX6. The V8 was only available in the SX8 & LX8, there was no CX8 for VZ. The SX8 was now generally available to the public on 2004 anyway, it wasn't made in 2005/2006. AFAIK there was no police pack version for VZ.

Also the V8 version was discontinued for MY06.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 05-09-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 09:24 AM   #8
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Not totally true. I sold them new and I never seen a SX8 full stop. Only LX AND CX8 thru the whole program. SX8 must have been police and government only. SX6 was only done when the v6 came out to offer a rival to the TX Territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
That only applies to the VZ series. There was no V6 AWD set-up available for the VY series. For VY they built the CX8 & LX8, plus an Police pack version of the CX8. This is only as far as I knew and I sold them new but keeping in mind that this was north QLD so not sure what was sold in Vic and NSW to Goverment.

For VZ, the V6 AWD versions became available, so the range became SX6, CX6 & LX6. The V8 was only available in the SX8 & LX8, there was no CX8 for VZ.The SX8 was now generally available to the public. AFAIK there was no police pack version for VZ.

Also the V8 version was discontinued for MY06.

Dr Terry
Old 05-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #9
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Not totally true. I sold them new and I never seen a SX8 full stop. Only LX AND CX8 thru the whole program. SX8 must have been police and government only. SX6 was only done when the v6 came out to offer a rival to the TX Territory.
I don't agree, I've seen several VZ SX8s & actually driven one of them. The VZ SX8 is also well documented in parts catalogues & service bulletins as option package R1V.

In the VY series, it was Police Pack only (only in Heron White), but strangely was still badged CX8.

In VZ it was available in Heron White, plus 6 other colours & badged SX8. It can't have been very popular, it was discontinued in for 2005.

I do agree that the V6 versions were competition not only for the Territory, but other SUVs of the era. GM-H would've released them sooner, but there was no AWD hardware available to them for the old EcoTec V6, they had to wait for the Alloytec V6 in VZ.

BTW, I'm quite a fan of the Advetntra, one of my daily drivers is a VY LX8 in
Turbine Grey.

Dr Terry
Old 05-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not taking sides.

http://www.motoring.com.au/holden-vz...tra-2005-4757/
The solitary V8 model (LX8) gains a little extra 15kW and 10Nm to 250kW/470Nm. It retains the previous model’s four-speed automatic transmission but gets a software upgrade to improve shift quality and speed. You may hear talk of a second V8 model (SX8), but it’s a police special and not available to the public at the time of writing.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They went alright for their size too.

I was driving my brothers VZ Monaro years ago and got smoked at the lights.

Apparently they used bucket loads of fuel though.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
OK, I thought after today's conversation, I would check my references for the complete story. So here's what I found.

The Adventra first appeared as a VY series II in CX8 & LX8 to the retail market & as a special Govt. order SX8 Police Pack in Heron White only.

When VZ was released in August 2004, Adventras continued basically as VYs with VZ compliance plates & V8 engines (with drive-by-wire throttle), but with the same appearance as a VY. Also the SX8 was now available to the retail buyer in the full paint colour range. These interim VY/VZ Adventras were only built from Aug '04 to early '05.

The 'real' VZ Adventra range was released in February 2005, at which time both the SX8 & CX8 were deleted & the new SX6, CX6 & LX6 (V6 variants) were introduced. The updated VZ LX8 was also released at this time. These MY05 VZ Adventras have a different front bar facia to the VY.

In short, SX8 Adventras would one of the rarest of all VY/VZ Holdens.

Dr Terry
Old 06-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Further evidence that the SX8 was not available to the public...

Quote:
A more utilitarian version, dubbed SX8 and developed for fleet customers including the police, will not be available to the public.
From here.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #14
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Further evidence that the SX8 was not available to the public...

From here.
Both of these news articles are written in 2005 after the release of the 'real' VZ versions, where there was no SX8 or CX8. Both are worded the same way, based on the press release. These guys are journalists who do not work in the auto industry per se, they rely on press releases sent to them.

When I was compiling my books, I had so many news items that contained factual errors like this, that I eventually learnt to rely only on factory literature for info. Even then I found quite often that 2 departments within GM-H did not quote the same info, so I had to get as many versions as possible & 'calculate' an 'average'.

The other thing too & this applies to Ford models as well. I have learnt to never say never. How many times have you relied on sales literature (or whatever) & quoted say "you could not get an XA van with a 351 V8" because the sales brochure or workshop manual said you couldn't. Only to later find a genuine one-owner example. with books etc. to prove that they did build at least one.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 06-09-2016 at 10:51 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 PM   #15
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great info Dr Terry on a very interesting car
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #16
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

So the SX8 or this car badged as something else must of made its way to the public after service in the Police force??

It may not have been made available to the public when new but surely would have been on sold after 50,000kms or whatever the resale k's are in each state that had them?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Im not sure still on the retail availability of the SX8. Even redbook fails to make mention of its existence. I agree that it was available to government departments including police but ive never seen one.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #18
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have an LX8 and i love it, i compare it to my old VX 3.8 wagon and my BA GT and the LX8 is somewhere in between
its steers way better than the VX and has turn in like my GT, its has lots of grip too
0-100 in 7.5s on pretty much any surface, sounds good and uses the same amount of fuel as my GT. 10-11 on the freeway and 16-17 around town

if you go the LX8 you get full leather, sunroof and whatever options the first owner picked, i got DVD, Bluetooth, Satnav

Basically i like it so much i won't sell it. I won't sell the GT either.

as as mentioned before there are no CX8's just a few photos of White ones used for demo gov cars
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post