Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #301
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: First drive - Ecoboost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
Yes, it may be an improvement, but it's still not quite up to the standard of the Watts link. The main reason I am so sore about Control Blade IRS is because it was essentially Ford's way of engineering an IRS that they could build on the cheap so that they could fit it to every Falcon sedan for marketing reasons. It was rather uncharacteristic of Ford to do something like this; it's what you'd expect from Holden (who shouted out from the rooftops that their cars had standard IRS, even though the system was far inferior to the Falcon's standard live axle in almost all aspects). As well as this, it tarnished the Falcon's 'unbreakable' image (although other aspects of the BA contributed to this as well). Yes, Control Blade IRS has improved, but it's still not up to the standard of a well sorted live axle in all areas except ride quality (as seen in the 1982-2002 Falcon).
I think you're creating problems that don't exist in normal operation, fleet managers I've spoken to
mostly consider the difference between Ford and Holden IRS as insignificant and basically irrelevant in terms of
maintenance issues. The only people mentioning bushes are taxi operators and Hi perf I-6T and V8 owners.

Quote:
I also tend to repeat myself in posts a lot. I can't help it. I really want a manual Mondeo, I would much rather the Falcon still had a Watts link, I believe the inline six is one of the best engines (if not the best engine) ever fitted to a family car, and I'm still sore about Ford replacing a best in class small car with one which doesn't stand out from the pack.
Mostly reasonable except for the criticism of latest Focus, that car is selling its tail of with constrained volume.

My beef is that FoA should be controlling volume by building Mondeo here with our own supply of Ecoboost and diesels.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #302
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: First drive - Ecoboost!!

Falcon went IRS standard and also came with a flatter rear floor. Maybe they could've done a live axle with shorter springs but not likely given the large wheel travel Falcons are known for. Flatter floor though gives you a much stronger and safer chassis, to the point your main competitor starts a smear campaign about your weight gain to distract from their car now being a tin can in comparison.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post