Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-09-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
shf2a
Starter Motor

Default Steering issue (firewall)

Hi all. I have an issue with a grinding noise and rumbling feeling coming through the power steering. I have tried getting the air out of the power steering lines but it is still there. It appears to be at the firewall where the steering column goes through. In the engine bay where it goes through is some type of grommet that appears to have come out of the firewall. But I am having trouble trying to get it back in. I've tried pushing, screwing etc but no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks

shf2a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 
Default Re: Steering issue (firewall)

What car mate?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #3
shf2a
Starter Motor

2001 Au
Old 12-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always offers competent advice. Always willing to help out in person. Never negative towards another. Always respectful. Always offers viable suggestions for solutions. 

It's usually a press fit, you'll probably have to pull the column out, at the bottom of it is a bearing, better inspect that. If the grumbling's only when you turn the wheel, it could be that bearing. Which would also explain why it's pushed out!
Also worth jacking the car up, turning the steering by hand and having a listen to the rack, and push/pull on the rack and tie rods to see if you can find any movement there.
Old 13-09-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
shf2a
Starter Motor

Thanks MongrelEF. The noise appears to be at the firewall. As the steering is turned it is rubbing against this grommet (?). Now that the grommet has come out of the firewall it turns with the steering and the grinding noise and rumbling feeling has stopped. Maybe it's best to leave the grommet out of the firewall?
Old 13-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
boinker43
Starter Motor

Tighten the bolts on your steering rack, your steering rack is loose.
Ford had a product recall years ago like in 05 I took my 00 AUII in and apparently they welded the bolts on the steering rack right? hahahaha imagine what a good welding job they did? Because it was only after that I got the grinding noise! I got under there after checking everything else and just couldn't figure it out and put a spanner on the rack bolts and low and behold they had a lot of tightening to do. Ever since no noise but I seriously wonder if this somehow has put the front end out of whack. Because they wont do a wheel alignment because they want camber castor kit? Its probably the damn steering rack! Everyone who gets camber castor kits has probably got a moved steering rack. Its all a scam I tell you.
boinker43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
mongrelEF
Bugger!

Yeah, the loose steering rack is a known fault from the EA-AU Falcons. Same goes for the camber kits; they did not use long enough bolts at the factory to allow for future adjustment. Replacement kits have much longer bolts allowing more movement to adjust for component wear.
Old 15-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how did you go ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #9
shf2a
Starter Motor

I'll be looking at the issue tomorrow. The grinding noise and rumble are back so will be looking at the steering rack. Will let you know.
Old 19-09-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

???????????
Old 19-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
shf2a
Starter Motor

Sorry guys, was waiting for the loan of a trolley jack (must buy one). Nope not the steering rack. I'm back to the grommet(?) at the firewall again. If I moved this towards the engine bay, away from the firewall, the noise stop. But it works its way back. I have tried to screw/push it back in, but it is difficult to get at and apply pressure. To replace will mean pulling out the steering column. Might just have to put up with the rumble/noise.
Old 19-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tried spraying a bit of wd 40 or a smear of rubber grease on the grommet?
Old 19-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
shf2a
Starter Motor

Nope. It seems to be catching on something at the firewall side. I've tried fingers to push, using an open ended spanner to get over the column and push both side of the grommet, but no luck.