Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-07-2014, 10:42 PM   #31
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Re: Focus ST: Idle issues are these common??

But I don't have a power shift focus.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #32
ronnas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
But I don't have a power shift focus.
Your ST photo under the name and the team ST logo under your posts mustnt be clear enough!
ronnas07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #33
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok.....finally after 6 months of back and forth with Ford and some valuable feedback from other FF members you've experienced similar problems, Ford has finally agreed to cover the issue with the stalling under warranty. Got a call from the dealer today to advise me they are providing a refund. Although its cost me that 10 times over, given that I place significant value on my time, however I felt I had a strong case and in the end I feel satisfied that the matter is now closed, phew.........
Mulga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2015, 08:06 AM   #34
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's back....the dreaded stalling issue has again resurfaced over the past few weeks. This time it also threw up "Engine Malfunction Service Now" on two occasions. Booked it in, but the message cleared before I got it there, both times. I'm not going to mess around with the dealers again, I've gone straight to Ford a demanded they sort it out. Very frustrating. This time I have video evidence of the car stalling.
Old 28-04-2015, 09:44 PM   #35
oddnutz

what did they do to fix the issue last time?
Old 30-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #36
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddnutz View Post
what did they do to fix the issue last time?
Refer to post #8 on page one for the details. Ford US issued a TSB some time ago and the repair for US vehicles was done under warranty. Ford are contacting my local dealer to arrange for the work to be done again.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #37
oddnutz

ah ok the TSB regarding the idle and stalling issues is a safety recall now in the U.S, I had the same issues with mine and my dealer offered me no joy. Even though they could replicate the idle issue and stall they didn't want to know about the safety recall in the US which didn't surprise me. They wanted me to book the car in for them to find the issue (even though i knew the issue) I said no and carried the work out myself and the car has been perfect since.

I then sent this to ford aust:

Quote:
I fixed the splices in the wiring harness on my 2013 focus st today as detailed in US Safety recall 14S17. Car now idles much better, no hesitation or rev fluctuations and hasn't stalled/cutout yet so i am happy. Even though my car displayed all the symptoms of the wiring harness fault my ford service manager shot me down when i mentioned the recall and wiring harness and told me it does not affect my car as it was built in Germany not North America lol My guess is regardless of where the car was put together the wiring harness is made in the same place.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #38
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddnutz View Post
ah ok the TSB regarding the idle and stalling issues is a safety recall now in the U.S, I had the same issues with mine and my dealer offered me no joy. Even though they could replicate the idle issue and stall they didn't want to know about the safety recall in the US which didn't surprise me. They wanted me to book the car in for them to find the issue (even though i knew the issue) I said no and carried the work out myself and the car has been perfect since.

I then sent this to ford aust:
I fixed the splices in the wiring harness on my 2013 focus st today as detailed in US Safety recall 14S17. Car now idles much better, no hesitation or rev fluctuations and hasn't stalled/cutout yet so i am happy. Even though my car displayed all the symptoms of the wiring harness fault my ford service manager shot me down when i mentioned the recall and wiring harness and told me it does not affect my car as it was built in Germany not North America lol My guess is regardless of where the car was put together the wiring harness is made in the same place

This is exactly what the servicing dealer did to my car & since then I have not had the problem re occur,
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #39
RACERED
Winding roads please

My St went in to jarvis for yesterday for a look at startup smoke.. they did a upgrade on the ecu and now my st idles smooth as silk... no fluctuations

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
I fixed the splices in the wiring harness on my 2013 focus st today as detailed in US Safety recall 14S17. Car now idles much better, no hesitation or rev fluctuations and hasn't stalled/cutout yet so i am happy. Even though my car displayed all the symptoms of the wiring harness fault my ford service manager shot me down when i mentioned the recall and wiring harness and told me it does not affect my car as it was built in Germany not North America lol My guess is regardless of where the car was put together the wiring harness is made in the same place

This is exactly what the servicing dealer did to my car & since then I have not had the problem re occur,

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
RACERED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #40
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

How bad was the smoke on start up?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 27-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #41
RACERED
Winding roads please

Just a small amount before any steam comes out.. bothered me, but at least its ok.

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
Old 28-05-2015, 01:27 AM   #42
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

It's normal mine does it and has for a while. Due to the DI engine the exhaust is full of carbon.
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 28-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Interesting to see if Ford runs those carbon cleaner products through them like what Subaru does with their DI engines.

Is it listed in there in the service book?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #44
RACERED
Winding roads please

Hell yes... glad im not alone... still love the car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
It's normal mine does it and has for a while. Due to the DI engine the exhaust is full of carbon.

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
Old 04-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #45
oddnutz

still idling smooth racered? i found my idle/stalling issues would clear up with a KAM reset or flashing different tunes until the car would learn all the parameters again.
Also 1 step colder spark plugs reduces the exhaust smoke quite a bit.

also join the 'XRST Adelaide' page on facebook ;)
Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 PM   #46
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Interesting to see if Ford runs those carbon cleaner products through them like what Subaru does with their DI engines.

Is it listed in there in the service book?
Don't think its listed in the service book, but when I took mine in for the idle issue @ 30400 kms they recommended a fuel injector service . Listed on the service sheet as fuel injector carbon flush. No issues since then
triumph Daytona 1200
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 PM   #47
RACERED
Winding roads please

Yeah a little rough still on cold start till warm but then fine. I might look at the plug change soon. Have no mods so dont know where to start with a tune.

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 PM   #48
RACERED
Winding roads please

Ford offered me the injector service at 30000 for a nice fee but i thought its a bit early to be doing that on a car of its age.. plus i wanted them to look at the car closer and not fob off issues straight to the injectors....

QUOTE=black13;5409861]Don't think its listed in the service book, but when I took mine in for the idle issue @ 30400 kms they recommended a fuel injector service . Listed on the service sheet as fuel injector carbon flush. No issues since then[/QUOTE]

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
Old 10-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #49
RACERED
Winding roads please

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post

How do i go about doing this to my ST wiring... got any info you can offer me?

HURRY UP WEEKEND DRIVE
Old 13-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #50
black13
born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERED View Post
the idle issue was fixed under warranty, it was done at Jarvis hillcrest. Told me it was the second st they have seen with this issue.
this is what I was told.

They initially carried out a scan tool test & found no codes evident, they then carried out a data logger test & wire wiggle test to reproduce the problem. They cut open the wiring harness & removed splice crimp joins & re soldered the wires... this was from the service report.

The dealer said this was the 2nd st they've seen with this problem. From what I was told ford are aware of this problem as they advised dealer how to fix
triumph Daytona 1200
Old 13-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #51
madmatty
dipstick

what model focus st are we talking about here?
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #52
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty View Post
what model focus st are we talking about here?
I have 2013 ST and mine was also fixed under warranty......albeit after considerable effort and debate with Ford Australia. I'm not sure if there have been any issues raised with the LZ ST??
Old 14-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #53
Mulga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACERED View Post
If you are planning to do it yourself, there are plenty of posts on the US Ford ST forums http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-s...rself-fix.html

Otherwise take it to a dealer, Ford are aware of the problem and it should be fixed under warranty. Also, if you google Focus ST Idle Problems, you'll find lots of info.....this has been a big issue in the US.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #54
ronnas07

Happened again on our Focus ST. Wiring harness issues. ELN ford played the ignorant card, which I'm starting to realise is the only card they have. Central Coast Ford also tried the "no faults, can't replicate" excuse. Had to get in contact with Ford Australia which seemed to help get things moving. Also got them to upgrade the engine mount so no more 1-2 shift bang. CC Ford were very helpful once Ford Aus got involved. If your having dealership troubles go above them and Ford Australia seem a little bit more responsive to customer issues.
ronnas07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: