Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
Strattos

Default Engine mount replacement tips

Just had new headers fitted (pacemaker tri-y) only to discover both my engine mounts are broken.

I've had a search through the forums but have only found one or two threads with not a lot of info about actually replacing them.

Are there any tips to replacing them? I've noticed with pacies there isn't a lot of clearance, particularly on the passenger side. I'm assuming its still possible to change the mounts with headers on?

I was just going to put the car up on stands and jack the motor up to change the mounts. Is there anything that needs to be disconnected or loosened before I do this?

Also where is best to get mounts from and are there any to avoid?

How much should I be looking t pay? I've seen prices on these forums from $90 right up to $200.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Past: 1984 XE Falcon sedan 4.1L.
Strattos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Strattos

Default Re: Engine mount replacement tips

Bought new engine mounts and got the old ones off - which was tricky trying to thread through the new headers.

Problem I've got now is how to correctly position the lower bracket on the engine mount before installing it, as there's no clear indication of where the bottom mount should be positioned before tightening up.

It looks like it would be hard to tighten the lower bracket once the mount is actually in, but I can't think of how to make sure it lines up with where it mounts to the chassis.

Is there a trick to this??

Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not having changed mounts on anything recent, i dunno if theres any special pozzy it should go, but possibly if you have a digital camera or a smart phone with a camera you could get a heap of photos under there to see if there are any marks from the old mounts, the camera should allow you to see where the old eye balls can't , i use this method a fair bit, then you can load it onto the computer and have a good looksy around.
the other alternative is steal the missuses make up mirror and use a torch.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Strattos

Thanks mik, I'll give it a try.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #5
KIMOSABE
Talented Scout

my 2 cents.............
I have attempted this job at home on my xr6t (both mounts and while I am at it remove replace turbo in line pipe with a Earls serviceable filter) now I use the word attempted with a strong degree of emotion....I now hang my head in shame/embarrassment as I have had to call a tow truck!....I cant believe I am even admitting this here on the forum.... gotta laugh though.
Mate for the life of me I could not undo the top bolt of the mount...funny thing was I was fairly deep into the job when I discovered this issue, my next step was to remove the air cleaner box for more room to get swing on a breaker bar. If that didn't work it would be a case of air ratchet/impact and if that didnt work some heat/oxy acetylene both of which the budget DYI home grease monkey like myself don't have.
My advice for anyone going to attempt this at home is before you start pulling down, try the passenger top bolt first as this will require less work than the turbo side (not the horizontal bolt the top bolt I think its 18mm).
Not to digress but another piece of advice if removing the turbo in line switch and housing that screws into the block and you are going to refit that same set up, read and fully understand the procedure which you can find somewhere on the forum.
Here is the thing, if you if you attempt to remove without the proper knowledge you will no doubt end up bending the steel pipe and have to source another one.
For me I was replacing with a serviceable line filter kit anyhow so it didn't matter, but you need to understand that oem pipe is super soft and will bend if your not holding the head on the housing that sits between the pipe and the block.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep that one is the hardest, i used a ring spanner and a hammer and or large piece of pipe on the spanner. I did it from underneath on a hoist
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #7
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the passenger i6 is a cow, but easily done from underneath on a hoist
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't feel embarrassed kimosabe, you gave it go that's the main thing, but it didn't pan out this time, these things happen mate, you will win the next battle ;)..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #9
KIMOSABE
Talented Scout

Nar its' all good thanks Mik, you got it in one mate I GAVE IT A GO.............

The countless $$$ I have saved in the last 25 years doing all my own mechanical work I reckon I can afford throwing some dollars to the local Towie on this one occasion....

I reckon if I had more time on my side I would have pursued with the task, because...... Well because not only do I get great "satisfaction" but more so "peace of mind" in knowing exactly what work has been done to my car. I travel out west to work and need that peace of mind to know the job has been done right...