Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #1
DaveTE
Back in black

Default No heater :(

Help needed please. Now i'm thinking the temperature(cold-hot) switch is broken as the switch clicks but does feel like it has the same resistance(feel) as before. How do I replace the switch only? Can you buy them separately or is purchase of a full fascia required. Am I doing a wreckers run? Any other possible issues that may cause no heat. Fan and air con both working. Thanks in advance for any for any help/input. Cheers Dave

DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
MadnessEvolved

Default Re: No heater :(

I'm experiencing somewhat of the same issue. Fan and aircon works, but no heater. It's currently a game to see if I can get to work before the windows fog over completely, or I just take my wife's car.
MadnessEvolved is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If you had a control problem then there would be a vacuum leak and you'd notice the A/C suddenly go hot when the engine is under load as the default setting with no vacuum is hot not cold. If you have cold but no heat I'd be looking at the heater tap first. It sounds like it has seized.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
scorpio39

IMO, Bull basher is spot on.
I experience a similar problem with the vacuum operated heater tap.
Manually worked it in and out about 10 times to free it up.
scorpio39 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Just get under the car on the passenger side and look for the tap. You can't miss it, apart from the heater hoses going to and from it there's a thin capillary vacuum line running to it. Short term fix is to just manually open the valve with your hand so you can get hot coolant to flow to the heater core till you can round up a replacement tap.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Fairmont1999

Sorry to hijack this forum but it seems we both want to replace or heater tap. Drove to Wagga today and nearly froze to death. Can someone give me step by step instructions in removing and replacing the heater tap. The assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers Fairmont1999
Fairmont1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

All you need is a screwdriver to undo the hose clamps. Like I just said above, get under the passenger side of the car at the fire wall and look for the tap. If you have the new one in hand then you really can't go wrong. Just remember that it's a coolant line so do it when the engine is cold and be prepared to wear a little coolant if you're laying on your back under a ramped or jacked up car. If you don't have some clamps to clamp the hoses you will most likely lose all the coolant from the heater core so be prepared with some replacement coolant to top the reservoir back up.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
Fairmont1999

If the tap moves can it still be broken inside? And what about air is the system?

Cheers Fairmont1999

Last edited by Fairmont1999; 03-06-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
DaveTE
Back in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont1999 View Post
If the tap moves can it still be broken inside? And what about air is the system?

Cheers Fairmont1999
Not sure about the first part of your question but air in the system easy to get rid of once you have replaced. I've done it once with the TE50. You don't have to get under the car either. in the engine bay passenger side on the firewall. Look up "Ford AU heater tap" on Ebay so you know what you're looking at. As stated already get the hoses off (the tap may break up due to age don't lose any into the hose)and the vacuum tube slips off easy as. The air in the system can be removed by running the car til warm and turning the heater on run for a while and you'll notice a slight drop in you overflow. Keep checking it for a couple of days when running the heater.
DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Maybe it's different for the V8 but with a 6 you have the manifold and inlet ducting in the way on top and the A/C accumulator on the fire wall below it so you won't be able to access the tap from above.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 04-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
Fairmont1999

Thank you for your replies, I purchased a Heater tap yesterday and i plan to replace in before the weekend. (got a trip to yarrawonga at 7:00 am, without it the trip will be 'fresh' to say the least.

Cheers Fairmont1999

P.S. By the way if I happened to have a blend door issue, being a fairmont wouldn't it throw an E2 error message post self check?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Twinturboel
Starter Motor

Hi I'm having issues wit no vacuum to my heater tap can anyone help car is a s2 ford au falcon ?
Twinturboel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #13
MadnessEvolved

I'm going to get stuck into this problem after I've fixed the leak I've got that's allowing water to come into the driver's side when it's raining, but that's not for this thread.

I've manually moved the mixer(?) all the way to the left after turning the temp switch all the way hot as the cable only pushes the end part half way (so it doesn't even start in the hot range.) After doing this, the a/c will blow cool and sometimes almost warm air, but nothing more than that. It's certainly a far cry better than blowing freezing cold air at me when it's freezing cold outside, but doesn't really fix much.

Am I looking at having to replace something (probably expensive) under the dash, or is it something else? Initially one of the vacuum hoses in the dash was unplugged, so would that mean that something needs topping up? I'm rather unfamiliar with these systems still.

Fortunately I have the wife's Corolla to drive to/from work until I get all this fixed, but these problems aren't helping my case with keeping the Falcon. And I certainly don't want to let this one go!
MadnessEvolved is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessEvolved View Post
I'm going to get stuck into this problem after I've fixed the leak I've got that's allowing water to come into the driver's side when it's raining, but that's not for this thread.
Open the drivers door all the way and follow the weather seal all the way to the the bottom where it meets the leading edge of the door. The rubber flares into a wide, flat flap. Lift that flap up and look underneath it. Water runs down the top of the seal and can be held under that flap and cause rust. Eventually a hole rusts out and then the water comes in and runs down the inside to the floor. Not necessarily the only place water might get in but a good place to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadnessEvolved View Post
I've manually moved the mixer(?) all the way to the left after turning the temp switch all the way hot as the cable only pushes the end part half way (so it doesn't even start in the hot range.) After doing this, the a/c will blow cool and sometimes almost warm air, but nothing more than that. It's certainly a far cry better than blowing freezing cold air at me when it's freezing cold outside, but doesn't really fix much.

Am I looking at having to replace something (probably expensive) under the dash, or is it something else? Initially one of the vacuum hoses in the dash was unplugged, so would that mean that something needs topping up? I'm rather unfamiliar with these systems still.
If I understand you, you have had the dash centre off to reconnect a vacuum hose yes? If that's the case, the cable that connects from the blend knob to the blend door is held in place by a clip that fixes to the back of the knob assembly. It can be dislodged when you pull the centre section out and when you put it back the cable sheath will slide through the clip instead of actually moving the blend door. You'll need to pull the dash centre again and relocate the clip. It can be a bit fiddly to work out how the clip locks in to the back of the assembly but once you figure it out it'll be easy to lock it down. Just make sure you spin the dial all the way to hot and that the blend door is closed before you lock it down. Then you should have your heater back up and running assuming the heater tap under the accumulator is functioning ok.

MINE- AUII Forte