Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
Prezident
Starter Motor

Default AUII Wagon Fuel tank removal.

Good evening.

Been a member for months, have read a lot of information which has been of great use. It's greatly appreciated.

I've had my first ford since December, and all in all, it really hasn't been too faithful.

At the moment I am attempting to remove the fuel tank. My wagon is dual fuel and has been lowered. Now the fuel tank while I try to get it out, seems to be fouling one side on my leaf springs or on the otherside which is the donut lpg tank.

I've used search and haven't come up with much in the way of wagons. I even have a service manual. Which seems to be lacking in detail.

While all the fouling is happening, I'm trying to get the filler neck down out of the car. Does that steel part in the filler neck come apart, I ask this because it seems the hose fitting on the side will foul when trying to pull through also??

Any tips, advice or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. I've already drained the tank, so I'm not far off contemplating cutting a hole in the boot at this rate

Prezident is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Default Re: AUII Wagon Fuel tank removal.

Hello Prezident,

Mate I've had to remove mine several times and sorry to say you have to remove the gas tank before you can get the petrol tank out as you need to be able to twist and lift the petrol tank to get the filler neck out

You need to unbolt the steel surround from the body from underneath the car and it then drops down. you also need to disconnect the gas filler hose from inside the filler area and let that come out as well.

The last time I removed my tank I added an inspection hole same as the sedans have so I no longer have to drop the tanks to access the fuel pump (pics towards the end of my thread).

Hope this helps
Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
Prezident
Starter Motor

G'day Rayban,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I was thinking that was the case too. :( But all in all at least I have an answer. Thanks for telling me about your build thread, took a look and found the pics. Nice work with the sedan cover and the car in general!

Did you do the measurements before or after you got the sedan cover? Also was there a reason why you have to completely remove tank at least once or is this just for safety that you don't burn/blow the car up? lol I'm hoping to get away with a few towels over the tank, drilling a couple starter holes then using a reciprocating saw to cut out the rest. Then file down the edges. Bad idea?

Thanks again, greatly appreciate your advice and experience!
Old 16-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #4
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

No probs mate,

I had 2 fuel pumps go on me when I finally decided to put the fuel hatch in, I measured on the petrol tank where the pump sits, marked it on the body, then used the cover as a template so I knew how big to make the hole.

Fuel tank has to come completely out or else you'll just puncture it as the plastic really isn't very thick.

Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
Prezident
Starter Motor

I've never had an LPG car before, so excuse this question if its obvious lol but when undoing the hose fitting near the filler neck, will any gas leak? Or any gas leak whatso ever? Haha sorry thought I'd ask before I attempt it. It currently has a full gas tank, if it was near empty I probably wouldn't worry as much! Thanks again Rayban!
Old 17-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Default AUII Wagon Fuel tank removal.

Hahaha all good, go under the car and turn off the gas at the tank, this will stop the gas leaking out when you undo any of the hoses, once off undo all the hoses (a little bit of gas in the lines will bleed out so undo them slowly and when you hear it starting to bleed out just leave it and let it bleed out... Won't take long)
Mines been full when doing it as well, the biggest problem
Is physically dropping the gas tank with the weight of being full, I use a trolley jack, undo the bolt and lower it with that...

Ray

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This user likes this post: