Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-08-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
t2te50
Banned

Default weight distribution BA vs au?

Is this the cause behind the mellow feel of the new models front end? The BA has a lighter rear end setup with the control blade IRS but whats the point when they've stacked it all back on the front end?
The most crucial part of a cars on road behaviour is affected by how much weight located forward of the front axle assembly. This affects the sixes to a lesser extent but the V8's seem to have a front end reminiscent of a cortina. This is just comparing it with the winnie which is nestled in against the firewall and importantly (most of it) behind the front axle/track whatever you want to call it.
Due to this increase in beef more pwr steering assistance was dialed in nullifying the steering and more progressive spring and damper rates were selected to cushion all that beef.
Every other aspect of the car is going in the right direction. Interior design and headroom is something I envy in the new model not to mention the non obtrusive A pillar and roofline which in the AU gives the driver a slightly clustrophobic feeling (2m tall).

Last edited by t2te50; 22-08-2005 at 09:14 PM.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

ANyone have any idea what the weight split would be?

eg. 55:45 or soemthing?
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 10:30 PM   #3
buickman
buickman

I've driven a few BA's. they feel heavier but more direct in the steering than the AU's. Still don't think they are that much of a better car than the AU. I will wait to see what shape ford will release after the BA/f shape.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

i would of thought an AU live axel would be lighter than a BA irs set up... the main advantage of the irs is there is less UNsprung weight because the diff center is mounted to the floor , not less weight overall, so the weight in the rear would be the same if not slighly heavier than an au
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #5
t2te50
Banned

Sorry I'm comparing irs set ups the au's are alot heavier.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post