Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2020, 08:28 PM   #2311
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

How does Bluetooth know how far you are away from another device?

Surely it logs all interactions, not just 15 minutes or more.

A person coughing and wheezing is is going to be punched in the face long before 15 minutes even if they hang around someone from 3 meters away.
Old 27-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #2312
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I downloaded covidsafe, so has my wife and eldest daughter.

Least I can do to help society given i get so much benefits from society, this is a no brainer to do to help society re open for business and reduce mortality.

My eldest brother who is an ex pollie refuses as does another brother who is a real estate agent and is complaining of the real estate shutdown. They are in good company with Pauline Hanson and Barnacle Joints.....

Interesting sometimes when you observe some who extract most benefits from society unwilling to give back to help the greater good.

Horror I sound like a communist hiding under the bed

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #2313
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a weird notification on my phone the other day, something like 'see previous trip info' from the built in gps on my samsung. Amazingly, it had all my movements going back months, i dont even use the maps that much and this info was spot on.
I dont really care it had logged that, even without my permission or knowledge, afterall what are they gonna do with my location? If i did something naughty and didnt wanna be found the phone would be the first thing to go anyway.
In saying that, i wont get the app on principle.
Old 27-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #2314
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
I got a weird notification on my phone the other day, something like 'see previous trip info' from the built in gps on my samsung. Amazingly, it had all my movements going back months, i dont even use the maps that much and this info was spot on.
I dont really care it had logged that, even without my permission or knowledge, afterall what are they gonna do with my location? If i did something naughty and didnt wanna be found the phone would be the first thing to go anyway.
In saying that, i wont get the app on principle.
Which principle is that?
Old 27-04-2020, 10:28 PM   #2315
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Which principle is that?
It’s called the “Tin foil hat” principle 👍
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #2316
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, its called the 'you f""d it, you fix it' principle.

The cruise ships, the delay of stopping incoming visitors, the repatriation of dumba55es who left after it began, the different states rules, the list goes on. I feel as though me spending the rest of my tax paying life trying to pay back an unimagineable debt of which i received 0 is me doing my bit. By the way, all the 70+ year olds that this saves will be long gone by the time the deficit is cleared
5 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2020, 10:55 PM   #2317
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
The problem is we can't live in a bubble for ever. Given that a vaccine that will allegedly save the world is still 12-18 months away the only way we'll be able to manage the spread of CV19 is through herd immunity, a slow but steady spread through the community until the virus fizzles out.
True, we can't live in a bubble forever. The shutdown was to buy time for more PPE, testing equipment, more testing clinics, for hospital staff to prepare (worse case scenario for all them to get it and recover), for morgues and refrigeration, for the ditches to be dug.

For people like you to say it's all for nothing is stupid (look overseas). To say there's successful treatments that work that the world is ignoring is pathetic.

Furthermore you constantly cry open up the economy like your some US alt right mouthpiece. What are you missing? Being in WA we haven't really even had fines handed out everywhere for leaving the house so we haven't lost much at all in the first place.

Where do you expect to go? Have you even thought about what you are requesting?
The economy was crap before covid19 (and our economy relies on people with money, tourists etc anyway)
Now that many closed businesses have let employees go it's not like restaurants, cafes, small retailers will recover anyway. The employees have gone and knowing how much they were valued (ie so quickly dumped) probably have a more secure gig at a supermarket.
But of the rest, how many will come back to work with these risks, how many customers other than people like you will come back anyway? E: If everything opened tomorrow I would still be resistant for a couple of weeks at least.

There's no point going to the cinema because all productions were cancelled. Same for concerts, sports or everything really. There's not a groundswell of people out there busting to get out and spend their money at some 'economy' event.
The world is in the ****ter and the WA gov can't turn the world back on or fly in tourists to restart our economy.
What is it exactly that you want opened and restarted that the WA gov can do?
We only have to look to the 1919 flu to see how things play out without intervention. A slow but steady spread is what you get with these restrictions in place! What you want is the opposite, open **** up and let the piles of bodies all fall within a month or two then we're over it!

E: I'm not bothering with the app because it's unlikely I'll hang around somewhere for 15min for it to register, plus my bluetooth is usually off anyway to conserve battery

Last edited by oldel; 27-04-2020 at 11:10 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2020, 10:58 PM   #2318
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

People won’t download the app from our government but download tik tok owned by the Chinese
Old 27-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #2319
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
By the way, all the 70+ year olds that this saves will be long gone by the time the deficit is cleared
Fkn Cav, he's buying us a beer next time we meet him
Old 27-04-2020, 11:48 PM   #2320
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Fkn Cav, he's buying us a beer next time we meet him
I'll use that $750 that Scomo gave me - I can't spend it because nufink is open.
Old 27-04-2020, 11:49 PM   #2321
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
People won’t download the app from our government but download tik tok owned by the Chinese
The bastards don't want me.

Old 27-04-2020, 11:54 PM   #2322
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
No, its called the 'you f""d it, you fix it' principle.

The cruise ships, the delay of stopping incoming visitors, the repatriation of dumba55es who left after it began, the different states rules, the list goes on. I feel as though me spending the rest of my tax paying life trying to pay back an unimagineable debt of which i received 0 is me doing my bit. By the way, all the 70+ year olds that this saves will be long gone by the time the deficit is cleared
Old 28-04-2020, 07:31 AM   #2323
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

China threatening economic repercussions for Australia wanting investigation into China's handling of the pandemic:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...alian-imports/

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19...inquest-demand

China can GAGF and so can all the universities who grovel at their feed.
Old 28-04-2020, 08:54 AM   #2324
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Maybe Australians will now enjoy the AAA beef that was previously exported!
And... ain’t it great, for a change, that Libs & Labor are in agreement on said investigation?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
4 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #2325
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

9 new cases in Australia yesterday and no deaths so the CMR drops to 1.235%.
0 new cases for New Zealand but 1 death takes the CMR up to 1.293%.
The UK looks like they are starting to gain ground and the CMR also drops to 13.422%.
The USA surpassed 1M cases last night but even their CMR dropped to 5.598%.

Globally, the total of cases passed the 3M mark with an average CMR of 6.9%.

Only two charts today. Cases and deaths per 100k of population for selected countries. In the first chart (cases) we have a very wide range of results. Colombia the lowest (14.3/100k) while Australia, NZ and Brazil are all under 50/100k. At the other end of the scale, Spain (594.38), Italy (540.48) and Belgium (504.3) are all over 500/100k which is 0.5%. The global average is 54.5.

In terms of mortalities per 100k, Australia leads the way with 0.488 with NZ (0.518), Colombia (0.649) and Russia (0.679) all below 1.
At the bad end of the scale we have Belgium (77.84), Italy (73.11) and Spain (60.94) all over 50. The global average is 3.765

I'm not exactly sure what to make of it but the three countries with the highest case rates also have the highest mortality rates so whether that is a sign of their health systems not coping or other factors is hard to say.

Disclaimer: The numbers above may not represent the best and worst of all countries as it is extracted from the subset of countries with reasonably high case numbers and there may well be others that are better or worse.

Observatio Facta Rotae

7 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #2326
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
9 new cases in Australia yesterday and no deaths so the CMR drops to 1.235%.
0 new cases for New Zealand but 1 death takes the CMR up to 1.293%.
The UK looks like they are starting to gain ground and the CMR also drops to 13.422%.
The USA surpassed 1M cases last night but even their CMR dropped to 5.598%.

Globally, the total of cases passed the 3M mark with an average CMR of 6.9%.

Only two charts today. Cases and deaths per 100k of population for selected countries. In the first chart (cases) we have a very wide range of results. Colombia the lowest (14.3/100k) while Australia, NZ and Brazil are all under 50/100k. At the other end of the scale, Spain (594.38), Italy (540.48) and Belgium (504.3) are all over 500/100k which is 0.5%. The global average is 54.5.

In terms of mortalities per 100k, Australia leads the way with 0.488 with NZ (0.518), Colombia (0.649) and Russia (0.679) all below 1.
At the bad end of the scale we have Belgium (77.84), Italy (73.11) and Spain (60.94) all over 50. The global average is 3.765

I'm not exactly sure what to make of it but the three countries with the highest case rates also have the highest mortality rates so whether that is a sign of their health systems not coping or other factors is hard to say.

Disclaimer: The numbers above may not represent the best and worst of all countries as it is extracted from the subset of countries with reasonably high case numbers and there may well be others that are better or worse.
As long as we are beating the Kiwis nothing else matters.
Old 28-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #2327
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
The bastards don't want me.

Apparently the code won't be sent to ya phone unless you have wifi turned off.

Bastards!
Old 28-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #2328
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Ah, so the number was right. I signed you up for RussianCupid, using it to verify.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav
Apparently the code won't be sent to ya phone unless you have wifey turned off.
Fixed.
Old 28-04-2020, 09:57 AM   #2329
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

To go with those numbers above, two of those three countries, Brazil and Colombia, have also done the least testing per 100k of population (176 & 232 respectively) while Italy has done more than any other country with 4,851 per 100k.

That probably suggests that there are actually more cases in both those countries although the up side of that is it lowers the CMR.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 28-04-2020, 10:05 AM   #2330
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
China threatening economic repercussions for Australia wanting investigation into China's handling of the pandemic:

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...alian-imports/

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/19...inquest-demand

China can GAGF and so can all the universities who grovel at their feed.
Its a balancing act for sure, but while we are down now is the time to start talking a bit tougher back. That little grubb of an ambassador can go back to his homeland for a bit of a break.

The truth I believe is that both countries need to the trade, but we need to start being more truthful to them.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 28-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #2331
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Herald Sun front page today. Geelong, VIC linked to the origins of CV-19.

Two senior Chinese scientists from the Wuhan Institute of Virology who studied live bats at AAHL Geelong from July 2011 until July 2014, are reportedly being investigated by an Australian intelligence agency with claims they studied coronavirus using live bats at a lab in Geelong from July 2011 until July 2014.

“Five Eyes intelligence agencies of Australia, Canada, NZ, UK, and US are understood to be looking closely at the work of a senior Scientist at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Peng Zhou, and fellow scientist Shi Zhengli”.

“whether COVID-19 originated from a wet market or whether the naturally-occurring virus may have been inadvertently released”.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6152336041001

China is not happy about the investigation.
Old 28-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #2332
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Herald Sun front page today. Geelong, VIC linked to the origins of CV-19.

Two senior Chinese scientists from the Wuhan Institute of Virology who studied live bats at AAHL Geelong from July 2011 until July 2014, are reportedly being investigated by an Australian intelligence agency with claims they studied coronavirus using live bats at a lab in Geelong from July 2011 until July 2014.

“Five Eyes intelligence agencies of Australia, Canada, NZ, UK, and US are understood to be looking closely at the work of a senior Scientist at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, Peng Zhou, and fellow scientist Shi Zhengli”.

“whether COVID-19 originated from a wet market or whether the naturally-occurring virus may have been inadvertently released”.

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6152336041001

China is not happy about the investigation.
Who’s the jockey involved in the betting scandal? (Hard to get racing news here)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 28-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #2333
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Was listening to Trump and Pence at their daily briefing....

Trump’s response to the origins of C19... “this happened because of incompetence or it happened because of something else, we will see which”
2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #2334
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always fascinating insight.

It may.
Or it may not.
Old 28-04-2020, 11:44 AM   #2335
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

My own statement above got me wondering just which countries are suffering the most. Please note that these numbers are based on total population rather than the adult population figures used in the usual charts and thus they will be lower.

In terms of case numbers per 100k population, it's San Marino (1585), the Vatican City (1123) and Andorra (955) that look the worst but the figures are skewed by their small population base.

Of those countries with a reasonable population base (>100k) here are the worst five:
Luxembourg 595 cases per 100k, Iceland (525), Spain (490), Belgium (403) and Ireland 398.

The five best performing countries, excluding those with <100k of population or <100 cases are:

Ethiopia 0.108 cases per 100k; Myanmar (0.268); Vietnam (0.277); Madagascar (0.462) and Tanzania (0.501) with most African countries below 1.0.

Comparatively, Australia is 26.353 and NZ 30.463.

When it comes to mortalities per 100k, San Marino (120.8) and Andorra (51.7) figure prominently but again, they both have too small a population base to be statistically relevant.

Using the same >100k population base as above, the 5 worst are:

Belgium with 62.2 per 100k; Spain (50.3); Italy (44.6); France (35.7) and the United Kingdom (31.0).

To establish the best performing, we will ignore populations under 100k, countries with no deaths (even if they have cases) and those with <100 deaths. This leaves:

India with 0.068 per 100k; Pakistan (0.132); Indonesia (0.280); Japan (0.294) and China (0.322). Comparatively, Australia is 0.325 and NZ 0.394.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 11:48 AM   #2336
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Was listening to Trump and Pence at their daily briefing....

Trump’s response to the origins of C19... “this happened because of incompetence or it happened because of something else, we will see which”

But not my incompetence. I'm not incompetent. Well I couldn't be because I don't know the meaning of the word. Fake news probably made it up.
I've been told by many doctors that I'm not incompetent. In fact I'm at the furtherest scale away from that. Incompetent, not me.
Where would the USA be if we were all incompetent. I mean, there's be no babies. Well there'd be no babies if we hadn't invented ibf in this great country of ours. We are a great country. Has anyone else done that for the incompetent. I don't think so.
Anyhow, the scientists have all told me that I'm not. I'm so far away from it - further than anyone else actually.
China - I think China is the one although I'm not exactly sure where their population came from...
3 users like this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #2337
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Was listening to Trump and Pence at their daily briefing....

1. You'll be branded as "some US alt right mouthpiece" for listening to Trump.
2. You'll be branded as a tin foil hat wearing alt right wing mouth piece for believing CV19 didn't come from the Wuhan wet markets, as peddled by fake news MSM.

That said, VaChina knows this is a synthetic virus developed in a lab. Whether it was intentionally or accidentally released is being investigated. That it's man made is not being questioned, intel agencies already know this.
Old 28-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #2338
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
1. You'll be branded as "some US alt right mouthpiece" for listening to Trump.
2. You'll be branded as a tin foil hat wearing alt right wing mouth piece for believing CV19 didn't come from the Wuhan wet markets, as peddled by fake news MSM.

That said, VaChina knows this is a synthetic virus developed in a lab. Whether it was intentionally or accidentally released is being investigated. That it's man made is not being questioned, intel agencies already know this.
So it's not a bat virus?
Old 28-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #2339
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
So it's not a bat virus?
That's not what I said.
Old 28-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #2340
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Who’s the jockey involved in the betting scandal? (Hard to get racing news here)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing/...27-p54nor.html
Closed Thread