Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default 12" custom subby

A few pics to show my recently installed 12" Alpine subby.

I wanted as much free floor space as poss, and also to be able to use at least part of the fold down rear seat for carrying longer things. It also had to have the specified internal size for that subby.

Made from 18mm mdf. Took about 3 hours labour and cost around $20 for mdf and $50 for upholsterer. It's held in place by velco strips on the base and also on the face butting up to the rear seat squab.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #2
Soundwarp
Blue to the bone!

Doesn't vibrate the parcel shelf too badly?
Great job by the way!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...dwarp/fbar.jpg
Soundwarp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
ronwest

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp
Doesn't vibrate the parcel shelf too badly?
Great job by the way!
Thanks mate, it's a compromise. The 8" factory subbie was pretty ordinary; I bought the 12" in an enclosure but it took up too much floor space; I bought a 10" in an enclosure, also took up too much floor space and didn't sound as good as the 12", lol. So, this is about as good as I could do given the requirements.

No, it doesn't vibrate the parcel shelf at all. I guess the hole that housed the 8" allows it to breathe.
Old 28-05-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Looks very neat! I thought AUs had 10" factory subs. I must have a look again.

My box was from Autobarn and actually jams perfectly into the spot behind the back seat and is easily removable by folding the seat and pulling it out that way. But when jammed in there, it stays well-fixed.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #5
damon90
(advertise here)

looks preety good nice job
damon90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
groops

Nah, AU's have factory 8" subs...when I measured the hole I thought it was a 8.5" whch I thought was really wierd...but then I saw an actual sub and realised my mistake.
Ronwest - Can you send me dimensions if possible? I have a 12" in my boot that I've got sitting on my little bit up there....also, is the amp sitting behind it mounted to the rear of the seat? Top job mate....looks awesome.
groops is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #7
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by groops
Ronwest - Can you send me dimensions if possible?
Here's the template I worked off. I gained the front angle by dropping half the rear seat, poking the bit of cardboard through, marking it against the upright portion of the seat and cutting it.

EXTERNAL measurements as follows (the foot at rear is not included):-

A:- the width of the mounting surface of your subbie + approx 1" each side.
B:- 13"
C:- 17"
D:- Width (mine is 18")

Please ignore calculations etc written on template (it was ever changing)

In any case your measurements will largely depend on the internal volume specified for your subby. If you are too far out the subby will sound ordinary and your effort wasted. You can get an "Enclosure Calculator" from here:-
http://www.caraudioaustralia.com/bas...lc/caacalc.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by groops
is the amp sitting behind it mounted to the rear of the seat?
No, with a little fabrication I managed to install my Eclipse where (sort of) the factory amp sat (final job was a bit neater)

Any q's you have about the subby I'm happy to answer but it really was a piece of cake to make (once I sorted out how big an enclosure I needed for my subby)

edit- get the correct pic

Last edited by ronwest; 28-05-2007 at 11:13 PM.