Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default What to do?!

Hi All,

Facing a bit of a dilemma and am not quite sure what to do!

Basically, I have quite a few mods planned (and all parts stockpiled) for my wife's AU wagon.

The plan has been to do the mods to the wagon, and I'll take it as the daily and get the wife a newer barge.

Overall the car is fairly clean, but does have some dings, scrapes, scratches and general wear & tear. Believe it or not, this is actually part of the appeal to me in doing it up, as nobody will ever look twice as it is such an ugly terd!

But I've got to thinking, and am wondering whether I should just get myself a better base to start with, such as an AU3 Fairmont wagon with low kays and keep the existing AU for my wife.

As I said, I do like the fact that the car isn't perfect, as I don't have to put too much effort into caring about it, and I think it'll be even funnier to have a quick wagon that's a bit beat up!
On the other hand though it would be nice to have a really clean one to build up.

Yep, I know it's a useless thread, but if anyone's bored enough to respond, feel free to give your opinion!

Thanks,

Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Not a useless thread at all Justin.

I'd love to do this if I had the coin.

Get a nice clean S3 Fairmont Wagon, get the nice leather interior from a Fairlane and do it up as a Ghia wagon.

Then do the engine mods, although the VCT could be a bit tricky. Heck, get a V8 Fairmont wagon! LOL! :

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 10:36 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Id probably go with a newer one and mod it up. What sort of mods are you looking at doing?
Old 07-03-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Not a useless thread at all Justin.

I'd love to do this if I had the coin.

Get a nice clean S3 Fairmont Wagon, get the nice leather interior from a Fairlane and do it up as a Ghia wagon.

Then do the engine mods, although the VCT could be a bit tricky. Heck, get a V8 Fairmont wagon! LOL! :

GK
Thanks GK - that's exactly what I'm thinking.

On the plus side the Fairmont wagon already has climate etc, but the downside is the interior's grey vs black, where as the Futura I've got is already black - no climate or nice dash though.

If I wasn't doing anything engine wise, I'd go a V8, but then secretly I've been hankering for another Gen 3 wagon (it's been long enough for me to forget all the issues)!

Either way, the current AU will stay as it's been so fantastically reliable.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Last edited by private9; 07-03-2008 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Ooops, double post!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Id probably go with a newer one and mod it up. What sort of mods are you looking at doing?
Thanks mate, this is normally my thinking as well, but I've kind of enjoyed NOT having an immaculate car for once.

On the other hand, I may fall back into old habits and start thinking of a respray etc etc, meaning a nicer base will save me this time and money.

Basically I'm a procastinating indecisive person and need the decision made for me!

Mods planned are Fairlane interior (donor car still sitting untouched from July!), engine, trans, brake and suspension mods. I have all the major parts I require, I just want to finish collecting all the little bits and pieces such as fuel pump, flash tuner, a few more suspension bits etc and do it all in one hit.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
sly
Sly like a G6

I have the same dilemma with my car, as the photos in my build thread show. And an AUIII Monty would be so nice... but my old green clunker would be such a sleeper. For mine, it's sleeper FTW.

Oh and I have a recent Parts Trader that contains an ad for some reasonably-priced L98 (???) crate engines - y'know, the VZ Gen IV 6.0L ones. Something like that would probably fit an AU better than a Boss, and it would certainly be unique - the best of both worlds (scrambles into flameproof suit LOL)
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 PM   #8
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9

Overall the car is fairly clean, but does have some dings, scrapes, scratches and general wear & tear. Believe it or not, this is actually part of the appeal to me in doing it up, as nobody will ever look twice as it is such an ugly terd!
i like how you think!
my idea of a sleeper indeed.
something you wouldnt look at twice, something that looks crap/worn/ghetto.
if your happy with the interior, keep it.
if not, upgrade to what you are comfortable in and start from there.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
i like how you think!
my idea of a sleeper indeed.
something you wouldnt look at twice, something that looks crap/worn/ghetto.
if your happy with the interior, keep it.
if not, upgrade to what you are comfortable in and start from there.
Thanks mate!

An immac Fairmont would be a sleeper too, but I just can't help but that the fact mine isn't perfect just add to it.

Whether I get the Fairmont or use my car, it will be copping the Fairlane seats, door trims and other detail stuff.

Using my car means I'll have no climate, but I'll try to tie the povpack dash in with woodgrain details.

Using a Fairmont means I'll have to convert the interior to black (which I should have most parts for) but means I'll have climate. On the down side, I'll have a grey (not black dash) meaning I'd have to swap dashes anyway!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #10
Kryton

these are 2 things i want to here:
"what a heap of shet!......watch this........losers!" (they laugh at what can only be trash)
"OMG - WTF was that............NO WAY!"

have fun.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2008, 11:55 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
these are 2 things i want to here:
"what a heap of shet!" (they laugh at what can only be trash)
"OMG - WTF was that............NO WAY!"

have fun.
I get a bit of that in the EB turbo I drive now - makes for some good laughs! Externally it's 100% stock, I've even raised it to standard height!

Would be good to have similar in a nicer more modern & comfy car.

I reckon turbotaxi's ride is just awesome! I came very close to doing similar, but after driving the ex-taxi that was to be the project around for 2 weeks, I just couldn't deal with how filthy the bloody thing was so I sold the horrid thing!
Old 08-03-2008, 12:07 AM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for myself one consideration would be where the car is driven most, mine these days rarely sees the country ,mostly local area`s and shopping centres ......where nicely painted cars fear to travel, as much as a great paint job would be nice i would be really agro having a cool painted ride only to have it damaged at the local whatever, clean and tidy can still be sleeper
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2008, 12:49 AM   #13
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
for myself one consideration would be where the car is driven most, mine these days rarely sees the country ,mostly local area`s and shopping centres ......where nicely painted cars fear to travel, as much as a great paint job would be nice i would be really agro having a cool painted ride only to have it damaged at the local whatever, clean and tidy can still be sleeper
Exactly the point.

Once the car becomes my daily, it'll be copping 700 odd kms per week, will be parked anywhere and everywhere, will be used for kids duties, loading up with crap, towing etc It'll be treated exactly how it is now really, just with more kays!

The car is not as bad as I've made it sound, it is reasonably clean, I just normally like my cars to be immac.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
F6 R-Spec
formerly PURSUIT-250

Pics brother, pics, we need to see the chariot.
F6 R-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURSUIT-250
Pics brother, pics, we need to see the chariot.
Sorry mate, haven't got any pics - I know how excited you must be

Looks like the decision has been made for me!

The Mrs likes her car, and doesn't want a new one. She also cited that I can't seem to keep a car for more than 6 months, and she doesn't want to get rid of this one yet...

Meaning, I'll get another AU, so I'll hold off for a few months, and then start looking for a nice clean S3 Fairmont wagon to work with. It also gives me a few more months to gather some little bits & pieces.

Thanks for the advice all!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Looks like the decision has been made for me!

Meaning, I'll get another AU, so I'll hold off for a few months, and then start looking for a nice clean S3 Fairmont wagon to work with. It also gives me a few more months to gather some little bits & pieces.
That's what we wanted to hear!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
That's what we wanted to hear!

GK
Thanks GK! I omitted the part where she cracked it about me always changing cars, and why can't I own/drive something normal/not defectable....
Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #18
MADED-6
MADED.6

nice man but wats happening with the eb and have u done the exhuats yet?
send me pm if u want.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM   #19
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADED-6
nice man but wats happening with the eb and have u done the exhuats yet?
send me pm if u want.
cheers josh.
Hey Josh - eb will probably become a weekender if I can find a space for it. If not, my brother may inherit as I don't want to sell it just yet.

Haven't done the exhaust yet - I'm lazy! I do have a nice 3.5" cat sitting here for it, and a pair of BOV's, but just gotta get around to organising it!