Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2007, 02:00 AM   #61
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

good to see aussie cars flexing its muscle, the VE has set the benchmark, its a stunning car in everyway, now, its time for ford australia to step up to the plate.

well done GMH
Old 24-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #62
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Predictable, the Australian Magazine has to support the local flavour of the month, just like it did with BA and Territory. I mean lets face it, they are going to sell more magazines if the VE won rather than if a Volkswagen won aren't they?

Still wouldn't see me dead in one anyway, horrible looking things! 380/Camry/BA/BMW 3 Series all rolled into one!
Old 24-01-2007, 02:19 AM   #63
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock260
good to see aussie cars flexing its muscle, the VE has set the benchmark, its a stunning car in everyway, now, its time for ford australia to step up to the plate.

well done GMH
So YOUR the one that reckons that it looks good. : I had my black BF XR8 parked next to a new V8 VE at the car park at work. Even the VE owner reckoned that his new pride and joy didn't look as good as my BF. He bought the car purely for the performance figures. We asked the known petrol heads to have a look and all bar one prefered the BF. At least half of these guys are Americans. They love the rear wheel drive Aussie V8's. So far, they have taken four XR8's and 3 XR6T's back to the US with them after their PCS tour. And most probably the 6 or 7 that are still being used here will go back to the US as well.
Old 24-01-2007, 02:46 AM   #64
drone

Is this the one eyed ******* sign in thread?
Old 24-01-2007, 03:13 AM   #65
ED turbo (mickmalta)
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing how everyone forgets history......

Ford beat GMH in the sales stakes with the XP & XR, and when ppl think of aussie muscle car they think XY GTHO.......

Falcon (apart from the XK and XL) has always been bucket loads stronger than the fragile commodore.

The VB-VL series was prone to body stretching when towing heavy loads (rear doors would warp and would not open)

Holden knew Ford's EFi 6 spanked the VK's 20 year old motor, so they crawled to Nissan and slotted in the RB30 for the VL.

People argue the EA series 1 was a hunk of crap..... I beg to differ.

With all new models there are teathing problems........

The clangy, noisy, unrefined Buick V6 that went into the VN-VX should have been taken out to the field and shot, and don't get me started about Holden's IRS setup on VQ statesman - VY model.

The VE might win awards now, but look at how Wheels have misjudged cars in the past........... Camira? VN Commodore?

With credentials like that, I would'nt be taking anything Wheels writes seriously........

We all know how marketing and the media can influence a company.....

Oh yeh, the 'world car' everyone is on about? Its a $200 option for a full sized spare wheel......... world car indeed.....

1984 Pontiac trans am

Gone but not forgotten: 1993 Falcon futura turbo.
Old 24-01-2007, 03:18 AM   #66
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant you just be happy the Aurion didnt win ?
lol

The VK 6 would have been too costly to engineer to run on unleaded.

At the time every test gave the VN the win over the EA, despite the EA having OHC.
so u know...
Old 24-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #67
Steffo
LPG > You

I thought everyone knew the Wheels COTY is a joke? Just look at some of the cars that have won it in the past, and then ask yourself, how?

The only real big-magazine test thingy I pay any attention to is Motor's Performance Car of the Year. Bang For Your Buck has become a WRX-fest. PCOTY is at least interesting, and an open field for all. One year a 911 Turbo might win (2000), and the next year a Nissan 200SX (2001), and God knows what else...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 24-01-2007, 06:13 AM   #68
Franky
Bring back the Phase

lol car of the year my ***

imagine if Ford spent a billion dollars upgrading the BF model, it wouldn't just be competitive it would be absolutely brilliant, smashing the commodore in every comparison. VE is nothing special, all it means is now we will have "wheels car of the year' rammed down our throat everytime a commodore ad comes on.
Old 24-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #69
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't buy wheels magazine, and I don't read wheels magazine, so the award doesn't really mean much to me. If I cared enough to buy the magazine, then i'd probabbly care who won. Same I don't read cleo, so I couldn't care less who won batchelour of the year, and I don't read Street Machine magazine, so i don't really care who wins Street Machine of the year.

Isn't wheels an Aussie magazine? If so, then doesn't this award mean squat. Same as a Brownlow medal. Outside of Australia, people are gonna be asking "Wheels Car Of The Year?"

Why does this even annoy people. Its just a local award. Not international. Or I could be wrong. :hihi:
Old 24-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #70
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
If they brought back the TX5 Turbo, I'd definately go for a test drive I love my car but I miss my Ghia comfort.
They have, it's called the Mazda 6 MPS
Old 24-01-2007, 08:19 AM   #71
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
And I suppose you were singing a completely different tune when the BA and Territory won.
No I didnt as myfeelings on the wheels journals & their antics still stand, thats why their subscriptions are down. Fact as I work for co that prints their covers
Old 24-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #72
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I dont really see how it is "car of the year". I mean congratulations to it, and it wasnt really unexpected but as I have previously said the VE has hardly brought anything new to the table (in terms of world cars) - hell it has just caught up in equipment and chassis that the Euros have had for the last 10 years.

Wheels should call their award the Australian Built Car of the Year" because thats all it really is. This goes both ways (Ford too).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 24-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #73
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Its definately car of the year for wheels .Doesnt mean it is the better car

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 24-01-2007, 08:44 AM   #74
blackahcdx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeap, the VE is better than a 3 series coupe...sure....lets just ignore the fact that fuel consumption is equal, if not worse than before, that there is no great improvement on the VZ, and that the only new thing to the series is the MRC, and what percentage of the total sales will include that?!

I look forward to reading how the fudge they came up with that, perhaps it will be my last wheels purchase.

Thats why Wheels mag is the only true COTY award.

It's not about car against car. So it doesn't matter if the VE is "better" than the BMW.

Its all about car against the criteria, not against other competing cars
Old 24-01-2007, 09:00 AM   #75
desGT

The VE is a good example of what Aussies can do (and so is the BF). Ignoring MY personal thoughts about this car, well done Holden. Look forward to the 2008 Ford bettering it.
Old 24-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #76
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
They have, it's called the Mazda 6 MPS
True :
Old 24-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #77
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Ve isn't a terrible car. The V8's are brillant. Big lift for Holden, and I applaud them. The statesman and Caprice are mindblowing. IMHO they are fantastic and recreate the entire concept of Australian Luxury beyond a stretched taxi.

But the V6's are pretty Sad. 4 or 5 speed they are pretty cruddy. The BF 6 speed 6 cylinder combo is far superior. If your driving a BF/BF2 your proberly driving the COTY 2007/8 award winning engine.
Old 24-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #78
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
But the V6's are pretty Sad. 4 or 5 speed they are pretty cruddy. The BF 6 speed 6 cylinder combo is far superior. If your driving a BF/BF2 your proberly driving the COTY 2007/8 award winning engine.
Yeah they are but why the hell change it when they are still selling like hotcakes? If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Tried and proven as was the VT shape platform they just migrated from.

We enthuiasts make up very little of the market I would guess.

I can drive my mum's VT and tell hell how crap the auto is, how bad the handling is, and how slow it is all day, but to her its flawless and that's all the companies need is a decent amount of those people to sell their cars.
Old 24-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #79
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The other nominees were the Alfa Romeo 159, BMW 3 Series Coupe, Honda Civic, Hyundai Elantra and Santa Fe, Mazda CX-7, Mitsubishi Colt and Outlander, Toyota Camry, Rav4 and Aurion, Audi Q7 and TT, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Porsche Cayman, Volkswagen Passat and the Volvo C70.

I can explain it quite easily, what's missing from that list? There's no Ford nominee....
Old 24-01-2007, 10:21 AM   #80
Wally
XP Coupe

How many of you guys have actually driven the VE? Come on be truthful, hardly any of you, isn't that right? You have some obscure friend of a friend that decided he would swap to a Ford and you translate that into "a good mate of mine was so disgusted..etc", which is enough proof that the buying public are either being hoodwinked or don't have any idea what they like.

My 48 yearold brother is a Ford nut and drives around in the latest and greatest Falcons. When I bought the VE he was at pains to tell me what I already knew about the six speed Ford box (which is probably the same one Ford and GM were jointly developing anyway) and how the Ford was better, etc. So I didn't let him drive my new purchase, unitil the last day of his interstate visit.

When he finally got to take it for a spin the brow became furrowed, the mouth drooped and he went silent. I told him to floor it and his face changed to shock and then he started giggling with delight.... I think he shouted 'Oh yeah baby" above the growl of the V8 coming from the four pipes out the back.

As he said to me "I hope this car wins lots of awards, because it will be great for the Australian Industry".
Old 24-01-2007, 10:35 AM   #81
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Spot on Wally. Wheels gives credit where credits due. Apart from the lethargic but adeqate V6, Holden have the complete package. Good work Holden.
Old 24-01-2007, 10:40 AM   #82
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Why don't recalls count in the grand scheme of things?

I think VE being COTY is a load of ****...
Old 24-01-2007, 10:44 AM   #83
jimmy_c
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The upspec versions maybe good but the rest is cutprice ALDI
Old 24-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #84
barks
CX-9 Luxury Black

Come on guys..lets give credit where credit's due..the VE is a great car, unfortunately there wasn't a Ford product that fit the COTY criteria (ie new design) to go up against it. Lets hope the next Falcon/Orion is good enough to step ahead of the Holden like the BA did. My prediction for next COTY is Ford Falcon/Orion.
Old 24-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #85
Sledgehammer
Banned

Old 24-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #86
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Apart from the lethargic but adeqate V6......
and the ancient mayan 4 speed transmission which they used on their canoes in Apocalytpo....
and the new 5 and 6 speed transmission which have been reviewed as "adequate but still need work".......
and the endless safety and quality recalls.......
and the fact the exterior and interior styling has been stolen straight from Audi....
and the fact it uses more fuel than the previous model...
and the fact the resales stinks more than a dead fish...

but hey apart from all that it really deserves car of the year as it has a old pushrod 6.0L V8 that is fast.

Hey as you can see I'm not a fan. : So many better cars, but I guess they dont sell magazines to idiots and bogans quite like a Holden.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #87
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
How many of you guys have actually driven the VE? Come on be truthful, hardly any of you, isn't that right? You have some obscure friend of a friend that decided he would swap to a Ford and you translate that into "a good mate of mine was so disgusted..etc", which is enough proof that the buying public are either being hoodwinked or don't have any idea what they like.

My 48 yearold brother is a Ford nut and drives around in the latest and greatest Falcons. When I bought the VE he was at pains to tell me what I already knew about the six speed Ford box (which is probably the same one Ford and GM were jointly developing anyway) and how the Ford was better, etc. So I didn't let him drive my new purchase, unitil the last day of his interstate visit.

When he finally got to take it for a spin the brow became furrowed, the mouth drooped and he went silent. I told him to floor it and his face changed to shock and then he started giggling with delight.... I think he shouted 'Oh yeah baby" above the growl of the V8 coming from the four pipes out the back.

As he said to me "I hope this car wins lots of awards, because it will be great for the Australian Industry".
Here here, mines the same every one who gets in it thinks its the ducks nuts.

Ford have a **** poor image in the Australian Market, young people hate them and to be honest their build quality has nothing in comparison to the Holden, i havent had a warranty issue to date with the VE but every BA we had went to the dealer several times in the first few thousand kays.

People here need to grow up and appreciate the fact that Holden actually has something better.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #88
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
and the ancient mayan 4 speed transmission which they used on their canoes in Apocalytpo....
(Gee wiz Ford are still using a 4 Speed auto to).

Quote:
and the new 5 and 6 speed transmission which have been reviewed as "adequate but still need work".......
Its funny how one of the Six Speed Auto Fords fell appart on a test day not so long ago.

Quote:
and the endless safety and quality recalls.......
The BA had 2 major recalls in the first few months, one for side airbags and another for rear axel issues. Your point being? It still won car of the year in 02.

Quote:
and the fact the exterior and interior styling has been stolen straight from Audi...........
More like BMW. Fords BA styling came fromt he Audi as the guy who designed it originally came from Audi.

Quote:
and the fact it uses more fuel than the previous model..............
Yes maybe but the Falcons no better. None of the Falcons ive owned have lived up to the fuel consumption stickers on them, so at the end of the day prescribed fuel consumption really means jackshit.

Quote:
and the fact the resales stinks more than a dead fish...
Holden has better resale then ford due to brand popularity although its still pretty ****, but come on wake up and smell the roses, as if either is really good in the resale department.

Quote:
but hey apart from all that it really deserves car of the year as it has a old pushrod 6.0L V8 that is fast.
Yes sad that my $48 k Calais can wip your $65,000 BF GT which is suposed to be a HERO Car.

Quote:
Hey as you can see I'm not a fan. : So many better cars, but I guess they dont sell magazines to idiots and bogans quite like a Holden.
Fair enough, im not here to bag you because what you say isn't really true, but at the end of the day both Ford and Holden manufacture some of the best sedans in the world, its a shame we can't all appreciate both manufacturers for what they offer.
Old 24-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #89
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Yes sad that my $48 k Calais can wip your $65,000 BF GT which is suposed to be a HERO Car.
:
Old 24-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #90
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barks
Come on guys..lets give credit where credit's due..the VE is a great car, unfortunately there wasn't a Ford product that fit the COTY criteria (ie new design) to go up against it. Lets hope the next Falcon/Orion is good enough to step ahead of the Holden like the BA did. My prediction for next COTY is Ford Falcon/Orion.
Well said.

The VE is a good car, and has allowed Holden to pioneer the new Zeta platform, which should guarantee Holden's survival for the next decade.

I like the SSVs in particular but I have had concerns over the build quality of the earlier cars - maybe they'll get better once they have had a few months of production. I'll wait for the Orion before I decide for my next purchase.

Speaking of which - where are the Ford Orion mules? How viable is the new Falcon project? Why did the development of the program hinge on an $80m development grant for export harmonisation? Are the costs of the Orion going to be that bad that it's not going to be viable on domestic demand alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia

Good for you!
Said even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_c
The upspec versions maybe good but the rest is cutprice ALDI
Yeah but XTs are no better - really cab spec. The only base model car by a local manufacturer that comes anything greater than ALDI spec as you put it would be the Aurion AT-X
Closed Thread