Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #1
Paul m
Starter Motor

Default Launching AU Auto

What have people found is the best way to launch an AU auto? I have tried a couple of things, and while there is an improvement ~0.5sec, there is not as much as I would have expected?

Currently reving it to about 1500-2000rpm with the brake on is the best.

Thanks
Paul
Paul m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I think less is more with the AU Auto.

If i stall mine up hard it just limps away where as if i lightly load it up say 1200 and progressively open the throttle not snapping it open it actually gets off line better. No wheelspin just goes. probably something to do with the torque control settings in the ecu retarding the hell out of the engine if you stall it up hard but not really able to tell for sure. One thing though if i stall it up hard it limps away then almost like a switch at about 40 kmh and 2600rpm it takes off.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

If i stall mine up hard it just limps away where as if i lightly load it up say 1200 and progressively open the throttle not snapping it open it actually gets off line better. No wheelspin just goes. probably something to do with the torque control settings in the ecu retarding the hell out of the engine if you stall it up hard but not really able to tell for sure. One thing though if i stall it up hard it limps away then almost like a switch at about 40 kmh and 2600rpm it takes off.
I agree 100%. Best launch in mine is stall briefly to about 1300-1500rpm and let her rip. I can mash the throttle to the floor once I let go of the brakes though, love IRS, awesome grip.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Bangers

Quote:

But what revs do you hold it at, while you slowly give it some, then let her rip?

I also agree, on mine, is I slam the brakes, then suddenly flaw it, theres a good 1-2 second lagg with the torque reduction which makes the car feel ****en slow. But if you slowly give it some till 2500, then let her rip it "feels" better (no idea on times)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2005, 11:42 PM   #5
chippa6
Novice Professional

Quote:
I have tried the stall technique around the 1500 mark and it great - but as with a few other auto cars I find, quickly giving the throttle half pedal off the line (no stall) and once she's moving - dumping the loud pedal to the floor has amazing results.

Chippa
Old 15-04-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Paul m
Starter Motor

Cool,

Thanks for all the replies. I will do some more 'testing' later today. Previous autos I've had were a case of more the better.

Paul
Paul m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post