Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-03-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Unhappy Make the knocking stop!

My 99 AU Futura wagon has a knocking noise, heard from the front right hand side when both braking and turning right. Normal straight line braking is fine, as is turning right without braking. The knock can also be felt in the brake pedal and the drivers footrest. I have had the steering rack replaced, the struts replaced, the brake callipers changed, the discs switched over, the ball joints checked, tie rod ends checked, steering column checked, every nut tightened all to no avail. The car has had the recall work done. Both my mechanic and I are very frustrated!

Is anyone else aware of this problem and do you have any idea what it could be and how it could be rectified?

Make it stop!!!!! AAAHHHH!

George

Last edited by GK; 22-03-2005 at 10:09 PM.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

man, you running a different zorst?
even if not, check that its not the cat hitting the chassie rail. mine was doing that and i thought it was suspension related for ages.
or check other stupid stuff, like a loose battery? or loose radiator mount? etc
Full comp insurance :nutsycuck
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-steve
even if not, check that its not the cat hitting the chassie rail. mine was doing that and i thought it was suspension related for ages.
Cheers Steve,

I'll give it a look. If it was, gee the gap between cat and chassis rail must be very tight!

Haven't even considered the battery or radiator mount either. More things to track down.

Do you reckon it could be brake pads? You know how sometimes they wear kind of funny and make weird noises?

I'll keep you posted.

George

Last edited by GK; 23-03-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old 23-03-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
es my alarm siren was lose and knocking!!
I'm not running an alarm Jim, but thanks for the reply. If you've got any other ideas, let me know.

George

Last edited by GK; 23-03-2005 at 09:41 AM.
Old 23-03-2005, 11:45 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-steve
Hey Steve,

Today I checked the battery and box out and gave the radiator a looking over as well. Both solid. Still need to check out the cat though, will probably do that on the long Easter weekend.

Via con Dios.
Old 26-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #6
timbala
EF Falcon 94

Hi George,

I am driving an EF and i have EXACTLY the same problem!!!!!! My mechanic says its the steering rack that is giving that noise but i kinda doubt it man, I checked with ford and they said it the upper control arm bushes.....everybody is saying everything.....but whats the real thing man.............let me know if u have found a solution to it..........

Tim
timbala is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2005, 05:33 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbala
Hi George,

I am driving an EF and i have EXACTLY the same problem!!!!!! My mechanic says its the steering rack that is giving that noise but i kinda doubt it man, I checked with ford and they said it the upper control arm bushes.....everybody is saying everything.....but whats the real thing man.............let me know if u have found a solution to it..........

Tim
Thanks for the reply Tim. I knida was thinking along similar lines, but with no real experience of these issues, it's hard to be sure. I will take off the wheel and give the upper control arm bolts a tighten, and see how that goes. I wonder if a spray of lubricant of some kind would help? It might confirm that the bushes are worn if the noise returns? Does anyone have an idea on this?

How much are the bushes worth? It may be a low cost fix!

Blessings to all on this Resurrection Sunday.

George
Old 28-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
Mr220kw
Starter Motor

Our Xr6 makes the same noise wen braking and taking off. I got the missus to drive it slowly while I walked next to it. As she braked I could hear the knocking sound. I tracked it down to the upper ball joint where it's mounted in the upper control arm. It seems some of them are loose enough to turn a couple of millimetres and produce the knocking sound. Seems to come and go. Check this and see how you go.

Last edited by Mr220kw; 28-03-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Mr220kw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr220kw
Our Xr6 makes the same noise wen braking and taking off. I got the missus to drive it slowly while I walked next to it. As she braked I could hear the knocking sound. I tracked it down to the upper ball joint where it's mounted in the upper control arm. It seems some of them are loose enough to turn a couple of millimetres and produce the knocking sound. Seems to come and go. Check this and see how you go.
Cheers 220,

George
Old 29-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #10
timbala
EF Falcon 94

Hi George,

Well the bushes are not much of a cost, i guess its the labour cost that will shoot up real high. Lubricating would not help that much as its prevents squeeking and frictional sounds. I think the real deal hear is that some thing is lifting and that might be the cause of it.......i think what Mr220kw has shared might have some truth. Well george welcome of the world of ford cars......though they may have big issues i still prefer to have a ford then any other.......

Take it easy man......

Tim
timbala is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Cheers Tim,

I'll get it looked at again next week as I've got two weeks holidays.

George
Old 02-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Smile

Well everyone,

I'm on school holidays for 2 weeks and have time to hopefully get this sorted.

This is my plan of attack!

1. Take the car to Pedders for that $14 drive on shock test.
That should shake the knock loose, so to speak.

2. Most likely replace the upper control arm bushes on each side. Car has done 120,000 and a mate reckons that's a decent amount of kays for the originals. This of course after getting the report which hopefully contains no bull

Quoted $320 all up for both sides. How does that sound? Ball park, cheap or rip off?

3. If the knock is still there after this, I'll probably get the front rotors and pads changed, or if the money is too tight, have the discs machined. Last check there was plenty of meat on them. Will change over the fluid while I'm at it.

4. If the knock is still there, then I jolly well reckon it can stay there! : : :

I'll let you know how it goes.

George

Last edited by GK; 02-04-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Well, had the suspension checked by Pedders. No probs, took an hour and a half to do, so I'm assuming it's very thorough!

No mention whatsoever of needing upper control arm bushes changed, so there's $380 odd saved! Glad to have suspension problems eliminated from the problem equation! :

Next stop the dics and pads. Getting discs machined and new softer pads put in. $180 thereabouts. Was thinking about slotted discs, read prices on this forum of around $320 for the pair. I'm not really in the dough though so will go with the cheaper option until they get near the min thickness. I'm actually pretty happy with the brake performance despite the AU1's brakes being only single pots and all.

Will keep you posted.

Last edited by GK; 04-04-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:10 PM   #14
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
I'm actually pretty happy with the brake performance despite the AU1's brakes being only single pots and all.
Yeah, i threw in some better pads (Bendix) and my S1 brakes do all I need for regular day to day driving. No drama's yet.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Yeah, i threw in some better pads (Bendix) and my S1 brakes do all I need for regular day to day driving. No drama's yet.
Are you talking about metal kings? They really give the disc a hammering from what I understand! I'm going softer pads tomorrow. What do you reckon?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:42 AM   #16
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Ive gone with Ferodo Excels in my AU2 running DBA slotted rotors. They work fine, but they squeel like a bitch and are a bit dusty. They pull the car up well though, and arent chewing my rotors up. Rather replace pads then rotors any day.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 12:36 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

G'day Sour One,

I just got the car back from the brake joint, so far so good. I took the cheaper option, lots of meat on the discs so a machining and some premium quality softer pads. It did turn out that I had Bendix Metal Kings on which were pounding the discs. The new pads have a few softer metals in them.

The padal is a lot higher and no knocking noises yet. I hope that this is the absolute end of it! If the knock is still there then I'm gonna have to crank the stereo just that little bit higher.

For my type of driving, the standard calipers seem fine.

Oh and I had to fit a new exhaust as well from the cat back. Just went for the standard. My car's on gas, and I don't have the money to spend fitting all the bits I would really like, say cam, extractors, chip and the like.

Since joining the forum, I've become far keener than my wages allow! LOL!

Cheers.

Last edited by GK; 05-04-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Talking

Drove to my mother's today, say round 40 kays round trip, no knocking.

I'm almost ready to declare victory but I'll wait a few more days I reckon. Hopefully the problem will be fully sorted though!

Cheers
Old 21-04-2005, 09:53 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Well the knocking is gone.

It was the pads, probably slopping around a little in the caliper.

All up it cost

$320 for steering rack
$470 for front struts and rear shocks
$14 for Pedder's shock and suspension test!
$144 for the discs to be machined with new softer pads.

So there you go. Before replacing the rack, shocks and nearly upper control arm bushes, try the $144 option, or much less if your discs aren't in need of machining.

Cheers

George