Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
XW_GS
Paulie

Default Whats Happening To the Aussie Accent??

I was in Subway today lunchtime getting some stuffing for my gut when i overheard the 3 young girls in front of me ordering their food.

i heard the word SORRY which sounded to me like Sar ry,
CAR sounded like COH or KHAoR ,

They threw in the word "LIKE" 4 times in a 3 word sentence (exaggerated)

We are going to a barstadised English American Paris Hiltonish accent which to be quite honest irritates but worries me at the same time.

Every time my boys throw in a "like" which isnt needed i give them a whack to the back of the head. They now know not to say it. The accent thank god hasnt been picked up yet.

Being from a wog background, id rather them saying maaate with a Greek accent than to sound like a brainless twat you see on America TV

Sorry, but i had to get it out

My Website
www.freewebs.com/xwgs

:disco:

302 XWGS FAIRMONT C10 9" :
302 XW FAIRMONT 4 SP 9" :

Fact: an XW had a shaker before any XY did...... :Up_to_som

Should a 302 Cleveland really be called a 302 Geelong?? No 302's with a Cleveland block where built in Cleveland
XW_GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGS351
I was in Subway today lunchtime getting some stuffing for my gut when i overheard the 3 young girls in front of me ordering their food.

i heard the word SORRY which sounded to me like Sar ry,
CAR sounded like COH or KHAoR ,

They threw in the word "LIKE" 4 times in a 3 word sentence (exaggerated)

We are going to a barstadised English American Paris Hiltonish accent which to be quite honest irritates but worries me at the same time.

Every time my boys throw in a "like" which isnt needed i give them a whack to the back of the head. They now know not to say it. The accent thank god hasnt been picked up yet.

Being from a wog background, id rather them saying maaate with a Greek accent than to sound like a brainless twat you see on America TV

Sorry, but i had to get it out
Thats hot

:evil3:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the 3 young girls WERE American, and you were thinking of whacking them over head for their accent!

Seriously, cant stand it myself either. I'm forever telling kids to stop saying this word or that word or stop copying the Americans. Or that's not what we say here in Oz.
Younguns dont have an identity that is australian, so they continually copy what they see on the net and tv. Bloody shame.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
big_pete
Sublime

i agree 100%

it seems that anyone with an 'aussie' accent is called a ridiculed or called a bogan these days
Old 18-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Thats hot
Don't you mean "that's hawt" :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

like... like... like dude seriously, dude chill out

Last edited by kyro_02; 18-01-2007 at 03:37 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Sounds like Paris Hilton
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Things change, big deal.

The aussie accent is pretty nasty anyway, if its the old crocodile Dundee one you are talking about. Women sound like they are from a trailer park or something.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

You HAVE to be kidding?

We're getting up on our high horse about people's accents now? Do you think that's soemthing that they can help?

They're kids. They use words including "like" and "y'know". They'll also grow out of it when they mature a bit more and realise how silly it sounds.

For all you know, these girls are university educated or working their way to a trade. But... you jump in and brand them brainless twats. Way to judge a book by it's cover champ.

This really is pathetic. Of all the petty moral crusades ive seen launched on these forums, this has to be the most pointless of them all.

So, in a similar vein, Subway is a very american franchise. You seem to be scared sh*tless of American culture, but you obviously support the americanisation of our food and ever increasing presence of fast food in our diets. But that's ok, because 'you know best', right???

See - i can jump to ridiculous conclusions as well.
Old 18-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Bugger, flamin' galahs them two are.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Double post
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:39 PM   #12
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Don't you mean "that's hawt" :
Like, whaatevveer Mitchay!
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
So, in a similar vein, Subway is a very american franchise.
Just like this forum is built by americans/uk people :sm_headba :
Old 18-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Like, whaatevveer Mitchay!
Duude!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hopefully were are learning to talk properrrrly (instead of lehning ta talk proply) I always didnt like a professional voice over at Channel 10 saying "Lawr'n'owda" when a professional voice over should be pronouncing his or her words properly, and say "Law and Order." It does take more effort.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #16
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Duude!
wheres my car!
:
Old 18-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Two things are killing the Aussie language:

Text messaging abbreviations and "The OC"

FUN FACT:

Did you know that OC stands for "Ostensibly Crap"

Did you also know Aaron Spelling came up with name 90210, after sending all 5 main stars to Mensa for IQ testing and that was their results. Jason Priestly got the 2.

Did you know that a recent poll conducted by US based research company AC Nielsen has revealed that indeed, nobody loves Raymond.

Finally, in another poll of 10 million American males it was revealed that 98.2% would not sleep with Paris Hilton.....Again.

Quote: