Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-04-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
GTI
Starter Motor

Question [Question]AUX Input

Hi all,

1st post in the forums

I've been driving a M/T Focus Zetec LS for a month or so, and i am quite happy with it. My question is that i can't figure out how to connect my MP3 player to the AUX input. Is there some kind of cable that i should look for, the dealership didn't give me a clear answer. For those of you who uses an MP3 player in their Focus may i ask where did you find the cable thing used to connect it. Where can i get one in the Melbourne area?

Thanks

GTI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

The connector is a standard 3.5mm headphone plug. Should be able to pick this up at any store.. JBHiFi are cheap. The jack is that whitish circle thing on the top right of the glove box.

Hope that helps.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Many MP3 players come with headphones, you'll recognise the 3.5 mm plug as the silver one with the little black ring around it that plugs into your MP3 player.

What you need from any Dick Smith, Tandy, Radioshack or good electrical/stereo store is simply a double ended headphone jack, identical at each end. Simply plug one end into your MP3 player and one in to the aux plug in the glovebox. Then hit AUX on the stero and away you go!

Hope it helps.
Old 14-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
kcbworth

Funny you mention this. I picked up a $5.95 cable from JB Hi Fi last night, but the casing around the connector was so bulky, that the glovebox wouldnt close. Can't remember the brand but i remember the cable had a lot of red and black.

As we're travelling tomorrow and nothing was going to be open today we ended up picking up a Belkin Mini-Stereo Audio Cable (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=178147) which was about $15. The sound quality is excellent tho and it suits my Ipod nicely. FYI it was with all of the Ipod accessories, wheres the original one was with the the audio cables.

If you have the option, Dick Smith or Tandy definately have cabling available, or you can try to find something like this, which i think looks excellent: (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...ar-audiobuddy/)
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

The L shape connectors work best. But I've found the cheapo ones that are pure black work too although the cable joint part thing with the springy looking thing will bend to suit. I have been trying to find the L shaped ones for ages but cant seem to find any.

The 2nd connector from that ilounge site looks good but I think the 3.5mm plug end is too long for it to fit.

The Belkin cable looks the goods though. To me, I think it would fit.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 14-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
kcbworth

Yeah i couldn't find an L Shaped one anywhere, although i did stumble across this on the iLounge site as well: http://www.sik.com/ram_din.php

The benefit of this one and the podgear one is that they will provide slightly better sound quality as they don't rely on the headphone jack of the ipod. Forgot to mention that both of these are only compatible with the iPod.

The belkin one does fit nicely, and the sound quality is great. Also it will work with any mp3 player (or pretty much any any audio device) as it works from a standard headphone jack.

On a slightly different note, has anyone tried using the clip on the inside of the glovebox door for mounting their iPod? I seem to recall some iPod cases that had a removable belt clip that i think could possibly be used to clip into the glovebox? Mounting is a bit of an issue for me because I don't want my iPod getting thrown around inside the glovebox too much.

Last edited by kcbworth; 14-04-2006 at 09:09 PM.
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

The sik looks nice. But I dont know what I'd do with that Firewire plug. I dont have a carputer.

As for the mounting. A cheapo ipod case and some adhesive velcro does just fine