Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Given the moderators post I'm not sure if this is on topic. I'll ask, and if it's inappropriate please suggest the correct place.

Is there anywhere we can either read about or ask about specific situations where an activity is allowed or disallowed under the lockdown ?

Here is queensland I can't make head nor tail of it.

Boating appears to be allowed. Motorcycling isn't.

You can go to kmart or bunnings but it's unclear, at least to me, if you are allowed to buy and sell on gumtree.

Some businesses are specifically locked down, cinemas, cafes etc, but the building industry is somehow "essential" ??

There is no rational definition of "local".

At the risk of being political, it seems the laws have been kept deliberately inconsistent and ambiguous so you can't find out for sure before leaving home and once out you are at the mercy of the cops, at $1300 a pop. I believe those interstate are facing similar issues.

So is there a way I'm not aware of to educate yourself on this ? or get a permission slip ?

And I'm really NOT trying to start a flame war, political war or anything else. I am genuinely baffled, and it's a genuine concern for me. I have no income. I have people wanting to buy stuff off me on gumtree, and an opportunity to mow some friend's lawns for $. There are others with genuine situations that aren't being addressed at all by the platitudes and double speak of our fearless leaders. Some of us don't get welfare and the free money being hosed around by our pork barrelers in chief (from both sides of the aisle).
Yeah, im not sure that random people on a forum should be giving advice about whats legal and whats not during these times, best to give your local MP or cop shop a call.
Old 15-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Given the moderators post I'm not sure if this is on topic. I'll ask, and if it's inappropriate please suggest the correct place.

Is there anywhere we can either read about or ask about specific situations where an activity is allowed or disallowed under the lockdown ?

You can go to kmart or bunnings but it's unclear, at least to me, if you are allowed to buy and sell on gumtree.

Some businesses are specifically locked down, cinemas, cafes etc, but the building industry is somehow "essential" ??

At the risk of being political, it seems the laws have been kept deliberately inconsistent and ambiguous so you can't find out for sure before leaving home and once out you are at the mercy of the cops, at $1300 a pop. I believe those interstate are facing similar issues.

So is there a way I'm not aware of to educate yourself on this ? or get a permission slip ?

And I'm really NOT trying to start a flame war, political war or anything else. I am genuinely baffled, and it's a genuine concern for me. I have no income. I have people wanting to buy stuff off me on gumtree, and an opportunity to mow some friend's lawns for $. There are others with genuine situations that aren't being addressed at all by the platitudes and double speak of our fearless leaders. Some of us don't get welfare and the free money being hosed around by our pork barrelers in chief (from both sides of the aisle).
Have you read this?

Home Confinement requirements in Queensland

A person who resides in Queensland must not leave their principal place of residence except for, and only to the extent reasonably necessary to accomplish, the following permitted purposes:
to obtain food or other essential goods or services;
to obtain medical treatment or other health care services;
to engage in physical exercise;
to perform work or volunteering, or carry out or conduct an essential business, activity or undertaking, and the work, business activity or undertaking to be performed is of a nature that cannot reasonably be performed from the person’s principal place of residence;
to visit another person’s residence in accordance with paragraph 9;
education and early childhood workers may travel to and from their home centre over the term 1 break;
to visit a terminally ill relative or to attend a funeral or wedding, subject to any applicable restrictions under other relevant Public Health Directions;
to provide assistance, care or support to an immediate family member;
to attend any court or tribunal of Australia or to comply with or give effect to orders of the court or tribunal of Australia;
to attend a childcare facility, school, university, or other educational institution, to the extent care or instruction cannot reasonably be obtained in the person’s principal place of residence;
to assist with or participate in an investigation or other action by a law enforcement authority, whether voluntarily or not;
for children under 18 years who do not live in the same household as their biological parents or siblings or one of their parents or siblings, continuing existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children and siblings, but not allowing access or contact with vulnerable groups or persons;
Example of a vulnerable group or person – a person over 70 years or a person with a medical condition that makes them vulnerable to COVID-19

avoiding injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm;
Example – escaping a risk of harm related to domestic and family violence

to comply with or give effect to the exercise of a power or function of a government agency or entity under a law.
https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system...ring-direction
This user likes this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Have you read this?
Yes I have. It barely matches reality. Vague and irrational.

I wasn't looking for legal advice nor opinions from people on this forum. I guess I didn't make that clear. I have been wondering if I've missed something, whether our fearless leaders had actually done something useful and put in a portal for questions, or a helpline that actually answers questions. I thought maybe I'd managed to overlook this and others had found it.

So if anyone has found a magic doorway to specific answers please do let me know. I don't want to encourage speculation.

It's really hard not to turn nasty talking about this. I have a really low opinion of the government at the best of times but even I am shocked at how
spectacularly they have made a mess of this.
Old 15-04-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes I have. It barely matches reality. Vague and irrational.

I wasn't looking for legal advice nor opinions from people on this forum. I guess I didn't make that clear. I have been wondering if I've missed something, whether our fearless leaders had actually done something useful and put in a portal for questions, or a helpline that actually answers questions. I thought maybe I'd managed to overlook this and others had found it.

So if anyone has found a magic doorway to specific answers please do let me know. I don't want to encourage speculation.

It's really hard not to turn nasty talking about this. I have a really low opinion of the government at the best of times but even I am shocked at how
spectacularly they have made a mess of this.
The rules are there.

Stay at home except for ......

I believe Australia is probably one of the best-performing countries in dealing with the virus so I'd like to know the basis of your statement I have put in bold.
5 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I agree. Here's something confusing about recreational fishing to prove your point a bit .

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...a-qld/12117582.. The different States vary and even in Tasmania which as you can see allows a person to go for a fish fo your mental wellbeing reasons. However in the Tas Gov guidelines below you need to consider that it's essential ...How long is a piece of string then.

https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/sea-fishin...ng-information. .

So, how does a person prove it's essential ? . Do you need some sort of doctor certificate to say that if the fisheries cops turn up ?

I wish they'd just say fishing with one or two people is permitted with social distancing adopted if more than one person or no it isn't . One or the other.

I'd love to flick a line for a couple of hours to break up the boredom of being on my own stuck at home since Thursday other than grocery and dog exercise reasons but no way will I do it if it risks health (mine or sombody elses) or breaking any current bans illegally.

Might need to ring Tasmania Police next day or two to see how they feel and if it really is okay to head off on my own to the estuary to ease the tension and frustration a bit .

These restrictions are important but surely they can make them clearer to understand . Can't they ?

Last edited by roddy1960; 15-04-2020 at 04:30 PM.
Old 15-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Might need to ring Tasmania Police next day or two to see how they feel and if it really is okay to head off on my own to the estuary to ease the tension and frustration a bit .

These restrictions are important but surely they can make them clearer to understand . Can't they ?
These laws were rushed through and I think it shows. Nobody in the current parliament has any experience with something like this and that shows too. If you decide to go fishing that shouldn't be an issue; if we all decide to go fishing then maybe there's a crowd at the boat ramp.

Friends called their local cop shop with a question about a similar issue. They were told someone would get back to them. That was two weeks ago.
Old 15-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

There are a lot of people who live aboard boats, especially in QLD, don't know many living on their motorbike...(except for the forum poster last week looking for a station wagon.)

Old 15-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
There are a lot of people who live aboard boats, especially in QLD, don't know many living on their motorbike...(except for the forum poster last week looking for a station wagon.)
There's this kid that lives close to me...I swear he lives on his trail bike . Even on Saturday mornings at 6 am many times...Nice kid though..
Old 15-04-2020, 07:39 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

First man jailed in Australia for breaching COVID-19 quarantine, sneaking out to catch up with the missus:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...hotel/12149908

6 months 2 weeks sentence, 5 months suspended
Old 15-04-2020, 08:03 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

The seagulls at circular quay dont know what to do with themselves. They dont even move when you walk past because theres no one around to harrass for food. However i have seen on a couple occasions people walk out of maccas and be foolish enough to open the bag for a chip or 2 and get swarmed buy stupid birds that dont know how to feed themselves in the wild. Im also noticing homeless people, proper ones, i dont see in town anymore. Dunno where theyve gone or how theyre surviving as the bins and ashtrays are empty pretty much. Yeah theyre the typically mentally ill forgotten people, but theyre still people.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My older sister called the COVID-19 advice line last week about her two medical appointments in Melbourne, they're both at different times during the same day at different places.

They advised her to:

A) Drive there and back for the first one, then drive out again for the second appointment (300km return trip, so 600km driving?)

B) Wait somewhere in between both appointment and see if you get fined
Old 16-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #12
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
My older sister called the COVID-19 advice line last week about her two medical appointments in Melbourne, they're both at different times during the same day at different places.

They advised her to:

A) Drive there and back for the first one, then drive out again for the second appointment (300km return trip, so 600km driving?)

B) Wait somewhere in between both appointment and see if you get fined
This is just what we're talking about ..Rules on the run without common sense necessarily being an option .. How'd she get on in the finish ?

What's going to happen if this sort of crap continues is it'll backfire on the various rule makers . .People really will jack up and rightly so .

A simple 'log a trip' phone call to spell out the reason why a circumstance like your sister is all that the authorities need to know , especially if a distance of say 100 km plus is involved .

Just a thought .
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m insisting on advance emails from clients, that relate to longer journeys, and carrying a print of it on the passenger seat. A bit tedious but harder to dispute.

FC’s sister could similarly request email confirmation of each appointment and also print out the routing via Google Maps for each of the two options.

A web news article today (9 news) states what I’d observed recently - generally NSW punters were continuing to disregard the official rules where possible.
Old 16-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #14
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m insisting on advance emails from clients, that relate to longer journeys, and carrying a print of it on the passenger seat. A bit tedious but harder to dispute.

FC’s sister could similarly request email confirmation of each appointment and also print out the routing via Google Maps for each of the two options.

A web news article today (9 news) states what I’d observed recently - generally NSW punters were continuing to disregard the official rules where possible.
Just wait to see how bad it gets if this continues for too long . Our way of life is not used to anything resembling authoritarian rule even if we understand why the Government is trying to enforce it for our good . It's hard to swallow despite how understandable it is . That's how it is for most of us I'm sure.

We get fed up with being told like little kids to stay home , wash your hands, social distance at all times and stuff too.. Most aren't idiots (some are) and maybe a bit like kids some rebel or show defiance when told to do or not to do something . Maybe it's a subliminal thing .

This is how I feel and I'm being totally honest . I hate being here on my own . Reading , posting stuff on AFF , watching movies , a bit of housework , starting to muck around with my old ride on as a bit of a project , once a day taking the dogs for walk and a quick visit to our local supermarket is fine but wearing really really thin already .Might be fine with some being limited to a fraction of things we like but it's driving me nuts and can only imagine how much more frustrating this will be after a couple of months .

I'd rather be at work . Never ever thought I'd say that . So from now til Sunday that'll be it unless I find out from TasPol I won't get grief if I can go for a fish for a couple of hours between now and then by myself . Not liking my chances by the way and will have to abide by it . No rule breaker here .

On Monday and Tuesday I have to work but then from Wed to Sun next week it'll be like the past week just described .

Necessary certainly but frustrating and mind numbing weeks to endure . God help Scomo and his cronies if this ends up not being the overall best approach. I hope for everybody's sake it is.

Genuine question here Be honest ...How many of you feel somewhat violated by all this as we speak despite the good reasons for why it's happening.
Old 16-04-2020, 12:25 PM   #15
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
This is just what we're talking about ..Rules on the run without common sense necessarily being an option .. How'd she get on in the finish ?
Yes, they should have referred to how they went about it last time it happened... oh wait, its a first time. Yes, that was sarcasm.

look around the world. every govt is doing the same or similar things. why should you feel like you deserve special treatment.

no police officer on the planet would fine Franco's sister if she waited around somewhere for her second appointment, given the logistics involved.

If you think the govt should spell out every single situation then you are living in pre school land. Thankfully it appears the majority of people do get the idea behind it all and are staying home except for essential travel (food, work, doc etc etc). The rest are the 'anti authoritarian' that Russ mentioned in his post. You get a few people that think the rules don't apply to them, and then you get the element that think they are now missing out 'oh, look at them, they are doing xyz... that's not fair, why can't i do that.. etc etc'
Old 16-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #16
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
no police officer on the planet would fine Franco's sister if she waited around somewhere for her second appointment, given the logistics involved.
You obviously don't live in queensland, or victoria. Revenue trumps everything.

You apologists are missing the point.

1. Some of the examples which concern me are things people NEED to do, like trying to make a quid when you got no job anymore and don't get the free money from the government. There is no mechanism for clarification so you are totally at the mercy of the cop in the moment. They have never been reasonable before, why would they start now? And as for taking the ticket to court...seriously ?

2. If you antagonize the population a percentage will give you the finger and as soon as the cops are gone they will go out of their way to disobey. According to some of the modelling when that hits 30% the distancing becomes useless. Then I get virus and die. Your grandmother gets virus and dies. Your sick kid gets virus and dies. So what do you want ? To get up on your soapbox and say the government is doing it's best just comply ? No one listens and people die ? Or do you wake up to yourself face reality and FIX THE SITUATION. The lockdown didn't have to be perfect first up, but as problems emerge they have to address them. They aren't at all up here. And for good measure our fearless leaders are moving to destroy the real estate market in qld, just to make sure EVERYONE knows what imbeciles they are.

Most of the stupidity doesn't affect me personally, but it's p'ing off an awful lot of people and when it hits the fan having your head in the sand won't save anyone.
Old 15-04-2020, 09:23 PM   #17
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The seagulls at circular quay dont know what to do with themselves. They dont even move when you walk past because theres no one around to harrass for food. However i have seen on a couple occasions people walk out of maccas and be foolish enough to open the bag for a chip or 2 and get swarmed buy stupid birds that dont know how to feed themselves in the wild. Im also noticing homeless people, proper ones, i dont see in town anymore. Dunno where theyve gone or how theyre surviving as the bins and ashtrays are empty pretty much. Yeah theyre the typically mentally ill forgotten people, but theyre still people.
There's a homeless bloke wandering the streets of Yap Hoon. He used to dine at all the fine establishments in town. Now he just takes the scraps from the local bakery. How the mighty have fallen on hard times.........
6 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 10:53 PM   #18
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
There's a homeless bloke wandering the streets of Yap Hoon. He used to dine at all the fine establishments in town. Now he just takes the scraps from the local bakery. How the mighty have fallen on hard times.........
I wasnt making any form of fun towards those without. Im reffering to proper mentally ill persons living on the streets. So not people able to not easily return to normal life, but the proper distanced from society. Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment, no temp accomodation, at the moment. Cooked meals are takeaway. People are people.
Old 15-04-2020, 11:05 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I wasnt making any form of fun towards those without. Im reffering to proper mentally ill persons living on the streets. So not people able to not easily return to normal life, but the proper distanced from society. Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment, no temp accomodation, at the moment. Cooked meals are takeaway. People are people.
Buggerlugs was talking about a friend of ours who has a liking for fancy cakes..................or plain ones if fancy isn't available.
Old 15-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #20
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Buggerlugs was talking about a friend of ours who has a liking for fancy cakes..................or plain ones if fancy isn't available.
He usta eat anything, sad to see a bloke go down hill so fast. Reduced to eating Cake of all things. Although he has developed a taste for it lately.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 12:23 AM   #21
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Probably on a "Get fit Kick" so he can Ride that Pushbike...
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #22
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment
Exactly. Have you laid eyes on Cav lately
Old 16-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #23
Dave1966

Quote:
Not to sound rude, but, they cant even get a shower or shave from a shelter at the moment, no temp accomodation, at the moment.
Not shaving or showering is part of my social distancing strategy. Works good as.

Your right mate, there’s a whole group at massive risk, many with serious issues.
Old 15-04-2020, 08:41 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Melbourne roads are picking up again, its getting busier so people are obviously going back to the office.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #25
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Another way to look at it. If the WHO supports the reopening of these Chinese wet markets, are they privy to knowledge that the rest of the world doesn't know about? That being that Covid-19 had nothing to do with these wet markets to begin with?
Old 15-04-2020, 09:47 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Another way to look at it. If the WHO supports the reopening of these Chinese wet markets, are they privy to knowledge that the rest of the world doesn't know about? That being that Covid-19 had nothing to do with these wet markets to begin with?
Wrong room. Conspiracy theories are straight down the hall behind the door marked USA.
Old 15-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #27
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
The chinese govt will open their markets when they want to and not give a rats what WHO or anyone else says. Like any other country they are a bit averse to others telling them what to do. They weren't truthful with WHO about the virus from the start, why would anyone believe that has changed?

The wet markets are where the locals buy their meat, not just in China but all across Asia and Africa. Because poor areas lack refrigeration locals buy meat daily and some animals are kept alive until they are sold.

Lifting over a billion people out of poverty won't happen overnight.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 11:32 PM   #28
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
The chinese govt will open their markets when they want to and not give a rats what WHO or anyone else says. Like any other country they are a bit averse to others telling them what to do. They weren't truthful with WHO about the virus from the start, why would anyone believe that has changed?

The wet markets are where the locals buy their meat, not just in China but all across Asia and Africa. Because poor areas lack refrigeration locals buy meat daily and some animals are kept alive until they are sold.

Lifting over a billion people out of poverty won't happen overnight.
It is true. Whose interest do they protect? Their own of course.

Whose interest should we protect, ours, but with a measure of generosity because we are a wealthy country.

I listen to the ABC anbd Raf Epstein spoke yesterday about the big advances that have been made as a result of previous pandemics. Stethoscopes, microscopes, lots more.

I think one result here is going to be better detection at the point of exit. Maybe when you walk through the metal detector, your temperature will be taken too. Lots of changes will come and I'm grateful my parents came to Oz in the 50s.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
2 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #29
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Trump Administration has stopped funding WHO to the tune of $400-500 million.
The US Surgeon General has told Gates, CDC and WHO their modelling has been wrong and will be ignored moving forward. They're not looking at removing restrictions in around 25 states with low infection rates to get their economies going.

It's very disappointing to hear our Treasurer Josh Frydenburg will not stop funding WHO. Interesting to note none of the MP's are willing to take a pay cut like the rest of the working class have had to. Do as we say, not as we do.
7 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I just got on carsales.com.au.

Almost 230,000 cars for sale.

I recall just a few months ago the number was just on 200,000.

There must be some good deals at the moment. A market flooded with cars for buyers with little money to spend.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Closed Thread