Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
caputo9
Groundbreaker

Default AU XR6 First Car Help

Hi Guys,

Im currently in the search for my first car being an AU XR6 Manual, but would like to know some problems that can go wrong with it, and what to look for when searching.
I do love my AU's and with my dad owning his XR6 since new, I know my way around one, but I'm not very mechanically minded.
(Yes I enjoy Driving Manual!)

What do i need to look for when going over one as i plan to look for a few sometime soon? (A few already in the picture)
I get my P's in a month and want a car to be able to drive.

Here are some ideas I've got that i need to look for:
-Slipping Clutch
-Wear and tear
-The Tickford Tick (Passenger Side inner Guard. Carbon Canister)
-Km's
-Service and Log Books
-All panels are aligned and match
-Unknown Engine noises

Also would you be able to help with a price range that i'll be looking at? (With km's between 110-170)

Cheers,
Nath

Old 11-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: AU XR6 First Car Help

The ticking canister only happens on the V8 models, don't have that issue on the I6.

Have you read through the thread common problems with AU's? http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=646
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
caputo9
Groundbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
The ticking canister only happens on the V8 models, don't have that issue on the I6.

Have you read through the thread common problems with AU's? http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=646
Thanks Ride!

hmm i thought that it occurred on 6's aswel... My dad may have a problem :/
But ill let him sort that out.

I just went through that thread again, i noticed a lot of problems that occur but can only be noticed after having the car for a period of time.
Are there some particular ones that can be picked out when the car is sitting on the spot and on a test drive.

Cheers,
Nath
Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

For me a comprehensive service history is important. At the end of the day AU's are bloody cheap to maintain and repair, just try to start with the best car you can. I bought my AU3 XR6 with 215,000k's a couple of months ago for $3,200 with a RWC, it just needed rego within the first couple of weeks.

My brother in law is about to start shopping for his first car, i'm trying to steer him towards an AU. Good luck hunting around for one, finding a decent manual is definitely not easy.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
caputo9
Groundbreaker

Thanks Grippy!

Thats one of the first things i will look for!

Theres a few AUII/III Manual's floating around Adelaide at the moment, so I'm sure ill get one. Just finding the right one that i like the most is up to me. Hopefully going to look at one this weekend so all advice is needed.
Im guessing the lower the km's the higher the price will be, and i don't want to be paying an arm and leg for it as I'm still in school and on a minimum wage.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Just try to avoid the ones that have been thrashed by young blokes. Looking forward to your future build thread and mods.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

IRS mounts if you go down the VCT XR6 route
Check the boot mounts to see if there is any rust, indicating there has been leakage through the spoiler seals (being in Adelaide though it's unlikely you even know what rain is )

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
2002au
Define definitive

Being a manual look out for a cracked/broken firewall where the clutch cable goes through to the pedal. Mine did this a few thousand Kay's ago, got it fixed up and strengthened and all is good
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
caputo9
Groundbreaker

Thanks again Guys!
Grippy ill try my hardest but if it happens, and i like it, I'm sure i can get it cheaper :P

Santo the weather has been rather wild lately and has been raining quite a bit :/ VCT's seem to be a bit of a rarity though but ill still look in those areas.

2002au ill keep my eye out for it! Being a common problem most will probably have it, especially with the higher km's

Thanks again guys!

ps. i love looking through everyones thread as i can't wait for all the mods to come
Old 20-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
ford_falcon666

On the topic of fire walls breaking. I had a similar problem with mine, the firewall has already been reinforced. But due to the fact that i have an Excedy super HD clutch the weight of the clutch had pretty much work hardened the clutch pedal. One day i got into it and snapped the pedal clean off.

I have no idea what ford where thinking when they designed this pedal box, such a bad idea. Horrible pivoting point idea providing no real strength. Seems like they have pretty much 'Lick and stuck' the clutch pedal onto the side of a auto box.

Pedal box rebuild and we where back on the road better than ever.
ford_falcon666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #11
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I understand the the base XR6 engine has more scope for mods than the VCT. Unless you are really keen on VCT.
Good luck with your search.
Bill.
Old 21-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Wink Re: AU XR6 First Car Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by caputo9 View Post
Thanks Grippy!

Thats one of the first things i will look for!

Theres a few AUII/III Manual's floating around Adelaide at the moment, so I'm sure ill get one. Just finding the right one that i like the most is up to me. Hopefully going to look at one this weekend so all advice is needed.
Im guessing the lower the km's the higher the price will be, and i don't want to be paying an arm and leg for it as I'm still in school and on a minimum wage.
Always look for lowest KLM and documented service records.
In the long run the "cheap car" now will really cost you in the longer term.
A year ago I bought a 2001 AU2 SR with 77k, one owner country car and have only spent $250 on the brakes, plus general service oil & filters. Paid $5750 from a dealer but consider this a bargain as it still looks and drives like a new car.
Happy Hunting.
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #13
caputo9
Groundbreaker

thanks guys!

I had a look at one today with dad and came home very disappointed. In terrible condition, thrashed, dents and scratches everywhere, filthy, rusted exhaust, sensors missing in the engine bay, unregistered, and no service history for the past 10 years.
I dont understand how this guy wants to sell this thing in the condition its in. Needs at least 2k or more put into it.
It makes me sad seeing such a beautiful car in the condition this was in!

ford_falcon666 wow would never think its possible to break a pedal aha

bill_m hp or vct doesn't really bother me along as i like what the car is. cheers

xc5077 thats what i want! a car that i don't need to pour money into to get running! i know the cheaper i go, the more problems ill get. thanks

I may be looking towards an e-series or a cheap b-series considering my budget, unless i find a good xr thru the auctions (got my eye out). All of the au xr's that are on the net are all highly priced and i don't have the amount to spend.

Hopefully some christmas and birthday money will come my way to help with the purchase :P

Cheers Nath.

btw. Merry Christmas Everyone!