Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Default Au Series 2 V8

G,day people.
Been looking at a stock series 2, 5 litre. Anything i should look out for, and where to start for better performance (read: Mods)
Cheers guys.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
347 mont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mechanically there shouldn't be any drammas, the old windsor have definately proven them selves as has the rest of the drive train. I would be going over the body with a fine tooth combe and looking for signs of rust, generally most are sound but I have seen some with bad cases of the hiddious stuff. Check usual places, all round the doors, boot arond windscreens, wheel arches etc. Good luck with it mate
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

As above, windsors are fairly tough engines so as long as it's had a good service history to it you shouldnt have any problems.

Depending on kms I'd look at gearbox - clutch for manual especially round firewall it can crack, autos need good regular services but a test drive will soon see if it's slipping or not.

For performance, start with the usual boltons such as an exhaust and headers, better intake, then if you want to go to the next step I'd look at (and have done) a camshaft and head porting or new alloy heads.

Is it an XR model?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #4
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

nope fairmont stocker. but does have TE50 kit and 18" on it. All looks brand new,so thinking car yard has put them on. needs to be lowered too! looks like 4wd at moment.
Its got 120 on the clock-what would you expect to pay??
Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Maybe 10-11k?

Since it's a Fairmont, if you can, run the self test on the climate control system - you do this by pushing and holding in the buttons at either end of the MDC (little bit with screens in the middle of the dash). This will test the system and it may show up any error codes which you can then ask to be fixed before you buy - if it shows up E2 it means the blend door has failed and it can be an expensive fix, and a full dash out job to get to as well. Far better them doing it than you.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

thanks for that. will do
Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXhUteMan
and where to start for better performance (read: Mods)
Cheers guys.
I'd say you need to think very carefully about where you might like to end up as far as mods go. I didn't and just thought I'd be happy with it fairly stock and have spent HEAPS since. would probably have been better off spending a bit more and buying one already modded or at least had an xr as a base rather than forte/sr.

mods I've done are probably typical of the common options. there's an inbetween choice of putting new heads on the 5L that I didn't bother with...
stock+extractors had 136rwkw (petrol)
add crane cam, rr's, timing gears etc $3k 150rwkw (dedicated lpg)
new 3" exhaust and retune $1k 162rwkw
347 stroker rebuild with afr185 heads, new cam, ported manifold, 3.7 gears, more-stall $$$$$$ (job is in progress can't wait to get it back. be happy with anything over 230rwkw)

so yeah the first cam job was a waste of money in hindsight since all that is now being replaced. If you're like me and reading the threads on other people's builds is likely to tempt you into more mods, then I'd say don't buy the stocky, go for a pre-modded one and potentially save big bucks...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #8
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Yeah point taken. The sries one XR8 had 185kw, fairmonts had 175kw, i am sure i could pick up the extra kw's with exhaust,intake and flash tuner??

It is to be a daily driver, and the wife will be using it as well. So massive mods aren't what i am after- just a freshen up and a little better performance. I agree- if i wanted mass power gains to buy something with mods already done.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Yeah point taken. The sries one XR8 had 185kw, fairmonts had 175kw, i am sure i could pick up the extra kw's with exhaust,intake and flash tuner??

It is to be a daily driver, and the wife will be using it as well. So massive mods aren't what i am after- just a freshen up and a little better performance. I agree- if i wanted mass power gains to buy something with mods already done.
You'll pick up the extra 10kw just with exhaust - that's pretty much the only difference between the non-XR V8s and the series 1 XRs (series 2 & 3 got more parts for greater difference). The flash tune will help you realise all the potential gains from any exhaust and intake mods, and will be on top of what you will get from just exhaust, and should be on par with an AU1 XR8 with the same mods.

I had an AU2 V8 Forte, and ended up with 144rwkw with just exhaust and RRs (started at just under or just over 120 rwkw).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
You'll pick up the extra 10kw just with exhaust - that's pretty much the only difference between the non-XR V8s and the series 1 XRs (series 2 & 3 got more parts for greater difference). The flash tune will help you realise all the potential gains from any exhaust and intake mods, and will be on top of what you will get from just exhaust, and should be on par with an AU1 XR8 with the same mods.

I had an AU2 V8 Forte, and ended up with 144rwkw with just exhaust and RRs (started at just under or just over 120 rwkw).
The ports are same size on xr8 as non xr8 windsors? cams the same? Only saying this as these are the mods on xr6 to non xr6 motors (EL)
Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
The ports are same size on xr8 as non xr8 windsors? cams the same? Only saying this as these are the mods on xr6 to non xr6 motors (EL)
Yep. Same, same. Exhaust was the only difference IIRC (I had one of each - AU1 XR8 and AU2 V8, and I reckon the AU2 V8 went better with the same mods.)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post